North Cyprus Tourist Board - Log Saw/cutter or ??
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Log Saw/cutter or ??

Log Saw/cutter or ??

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all Do It Yourself (DIY) threads posted so far

astonhilbilly

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 18:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

What would members recommend we buy (here in the UK to bring over) to make the job of sawing logs a bit easier?

I have just seen an advert for a foot operated logsplitter - has anyone ever used one? If so, what do you think?

cooper

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

I have no axe to grind here, but a bow saw & a axe should do the trick.

jerryj

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

If you are looking for an electric chain saw, (German make), the easiest way to cut logs. I have one you can have for £40. Its got an 18 inch blade, and probably only been used 3-4 times.

Call Jerry 0533 8664651

astonhilbilly

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

jerryj, yes, we are very interested in buying the chain saw but won't be over until the beginning of July. Is that OK with you? If so, we will ring you as soon as we come over.

jerryj

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Sorry - someone else saw what I wrote, and came and bought it this morning

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Buy a Stihl (38-50cc size engine) in UK and bring with you - chainsaws cost an 'arm & a leg' in TRNC.

It's a bit risky buying one (much cheaper) on the Greek side, as some people have been caught at the border by TRNC Customs officials and had horrendous fines and hassle. Even if you declare it at the border, it may still cost you more than to buy locally. How they justify TRNC prices for chainsaws (and goodness knows what else!) defeats me!

At least you can get a Stihl seviced in TRNC - not that one should need much for home use. Buy a chain sharpener (if you can afford it!), or simply buy a chain sharpening file guide +, of course, a few files of a size to suit the size of the chain you need to sharpen. It's easy to sharpen a chainsaw chain - just ask the man in the shop, or a cobber!

I should mention that Husqvarna are a very good make of chainsaw (Swedish), where Stihl is German. Although I have a Stihl in Cyprus, I used to have a Husqvarna in New Zealand and found

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Cont'd: the Husqvarna both quieter and that it had less vibration than Stihl, also equally easy-starting and reliable. A new chain for one in TRNC costs 70TL - I know cos my cobber just bought one in Lefkosa yesterday!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Cont'd:

BTW - Electric chainsaws OK for a bit of light pruning - useless for cutting logs, unless 'pith pine', which Cyprus Pine, Olive, Carob, is not!

colly

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 21:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

You will not be alowed to take a chainsaw on the plane because it has a petrol tank. I believe this does not change even if it is new.

A chainsaw is great for cutting logs that are already the right diameter, I would advise against using one for cutting larger logs into smaller logs as this can be very dangerous. At the very least have protective clothing on your legs and head as these are the areas that you are most likley to suffer a fatal cut assuming that you keep both hands on the machine.

I would not bother with the foot operated splitter! Whilst you can create quite a lot of cutting force it requires an energy sapping effort to get the blade moving.

Use an axe for the smaller ones and if you get a large one use wedges and a sledge hammer looking for natual faults in the log.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Msg 9

If it's brand new there will not be petrol nor oil in the machine so will be okay for the hold.

Richard

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
27/04/2010 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

If flying, check with travel agent/airline as to their regulations. If OK, take the bar and the chain off the chainsaw and stow in suitcase (won't infringe on your luggage space!) - thereby, they can't say you're carrying anything in your hand luggage that can be construed as a weapon. Carry the chainsaw body in hand luggage. It's doubtful Customs at Ercan will bother to stop you - Bob's your uncle - Fanny's your aunt - job done!

I've just refurbished a Chinese made chainsaw, sold by a British B&Q D.I.Y. store - it appears and runs OK, but spares, I understand, very difficult to source and too expensive if you can. It was also very complicated to work on. Unless you're a competent D.I.Y. mechanic, don't touch one - even if tempted by the 'el cheapo' price.

In terms of safety gear, a full face visor and a pair of (flexible) gardening gloves should suffice. I worked in the N.Z. forestry for a coupla three years - never wore any safety gear, except safety boots and hard hat.

colly

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

"If it's brand new there will not be petrol nor oil in the machine so will be okay for the hold."

I would check as I am sure I read somewhere that petrol engines are not allowed. As for no petrol in a new one I thinki it is has a fuel tank which could have fumes in, even if new it might have been tested.

"In terms of safety gear, a full face visor and a pair of (flexible) gardening gloves should suffice. I worked in the N.Z. forestry for a coupla three years - never wore any safety gear, except safety boots and hard hat. "

Disagree with this one! It will only suffice if the saw never goes near your legs. Good on you for not requiring any more saftey gear than you had in the 3 years in n.z..

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Hey, Colly - at the speed we had to work, on contract, in the forestry, one couldn't if all clobbered up in 'safety' gear. In summer, we all worked in just shorts and a bush singlet!

If the initiator of this thread has had nil operating experience, then suggest find a cobber who's used to using a chainsaw and get some practice/tips before attempting it alone.

Actually, a Stihl operator manual gives all the tips - safety, method of use, etc - but there's no substitute for experience, as I'm sure you'll agree!

In Msg 11 I advised to check with one's carrier (airline company) and, perhaps, I should have added, airport security regulations, to see if carriage of said article is permissable.

colly

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

I have to admit to operating one in TRNC without the gear for a small job. If I was doing prolonged work I would really want the trousers and helmet . I know that they are a bind as they make you sweat even in the U.K.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

It's a good idea - in fact essential - to make a *'saw horse', or *saw table - preferably about waist high. You could use a Black & Decker 'Workmate', although these are very light, and unless you weigh them down with concrete blocks on boards fastened to the bottom steel leg braces, they're liable to tip over, which could be dangerous.

Someone like 'Ronnies Furniture' can make you either *item.

You still need a helper to hold the log - makes the job much easier and safer!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.