North Cyprus Tourist Board - money advice for excited tourist - please help
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > money advice for excited tourist - please help

money advice for excited tourist - please help

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

tigerlair

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Hi, I will be visiting Kyrenia next week(very excited) and would like some advice about taking cash out. Will I be charged for using cash machines? Do most people take lots of money out in the UK and bring it over or do they use cards etc over there? Can you get sterling out of cash machines?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before.

Thanks in advance

Ailletoo

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

You can get sterling from the ATMs here. Your bank will probably charge you for this. Ask your bank about this. Personally I prefer to get money from the ATM as I go along rather than carry a lot of cash with me. It's a personal preference thing. Either way, it works, bring cash or use the machines, your choice. You may get a better exchange rate from the money changers here.

janjin

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 22:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

tigerlair,

I would say bring out English.

The exchanges on Kyrenia high street give you the rate in the shop as it is displayed. They don't charge you hidden extras. We have found the exchanges' rates change daily, but are better than the rates at home.

Enjoy your visit and welcome to the board

Smity

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

You can get stirling but mainly from HSBC banks the one i use for cash is the HSBC cash machine by the Taxi rank by the sea front. As far as i am awaire you dont get charged at this one.

As the last message said the small exchane shop on the left just after the 2 cash ( high street) machines is always the best deal.

But most shops restaurants and bars will take £ or YTL.

Enjoy and welcome to KTNC

Chelpet

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Dont forget you will probably get charged for using ATM even though its your money thats in there, we found we got the best exchange rate for the exchange bureau opposite the Dome hotel near the harbour, we were advised to use this one by a TC friend in the UK, and we got a better rate than my local bank in NC, but as msg3 said bring sterling with you.

Smity

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

\UPs my fingers slipped should have been

Welcome to TRNC

basil

Message Posted:
25/04/2010 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

If you have a Nationwide flex account, your card will work in all the ATMs here and you are charged nothing for the transaction; other banks charge according to their terms & conditions.

There are plenty of machines around (outside banks - don't expect to draw cash at the shops) and you may find a small variation in what you get for your quids as the rate of exchange changes. That means the first time you draw (say) 300TL, you may pay £131.36 for it , but the next time it could be £131.70 or whatever - no big deal unless you are planning to spend thousands, in which case take some sterling to the money changers in town as suggested above.

I would recommend you take a couple of hundred sterling to your high street, find the best rate in the various bureaux de change and get Turkish lira to tide you over; you'll probably want as many low denomination notes as they will give you, to pay a taxi, buy a drink and suchlike before you go hunting for a hole in the wall.

Enjoy your sta

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 07:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

With a Nationwide Flex Account card you can of course draw out Turkish Lira and pay all your tabs with that. That way there are no charges involved and you will get a good rate of exchange.

kathsj

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

I think Nationwide now charge a nominal amount but are still best value. It is usually your bank that charges you for drawing money - not the machine quite often they give you a poorer rate of exchange and then add on charges. Even if you go to an agent in UK that does't charge commision the exchange rate is awful, aparently M&S are one of the best value. DONT exchange money at UK airports. If you are bringing some sterling you can use it in restaurants and supermarkets, havent found one - yet - that doesn't take it. Dont use the exchange place half way down High St on RHS twice they have tried to short change me - apart from that you'll have a good time.

Barter for free drinks if you eat on the harbour.

Enjoy

Kath

skybluesam

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 21:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Nationwide do not charge a nominal amount as an earlier post suggests, it is totally free! and you get the current rate as well.

Moral is: open a flex account!!

Nick

Blackbird

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 22:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

I usually take some sterling - 'cos most places accept it OK, and use the ATMs that have already been mentioned before.

Most of all though is to enjoy your stay....although I'm sure you will...it's a brilliant place to visit!

tsmlion

Message Posted:
26/04/2010 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Tigerlair.

I'm out there next weekend as well.

Hope the weather is better than the forecast!!

I normally take every bit of spare currency I have. The restaurants and bars take anything. The FX shops give excellent rates.

millzer

Message Posted:
27/04/2010 02:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

We have always got a good rate using our Nationwide card, and no charges to boot. Don't forget that no charges for cash only applies to debit cards. Cash withdrawals using Nationwide 'credit' cards do charge a fee, for cash, although not for 'purchases' in shops.

tigerlair

Message Posted:
27/04/2010 15:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks to everyone who posted advice. You've been a massive help. Two days to go and I cannot wait. It's been 5 years since I've stepped foot outside of the UK - so bring on Kyrenia - Woo hoo

BeeKeeper

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Here's something that is simultaneously wonderful and annoying if you don't know about it.

Immediately after putting in your card, some of the Kyrenia cashpoint machines will ask you which currency you want to do your transaction in.

I was using an English bank account, so pressed the GBP button, thinking this would make it easier to calculate exactly how much I was withdrawing.

Big mistake. The cashpoint then gave me my full daily limit of exactly £250 pounds in.... English notes.

I had assumed that I would get the amount of pounds I asked for paid out in Turkish lira.

However, these are the first cashpoints I have found anywhere in the world that can do this. In fact, they can pay out in GBP, EUR and maybe even USD. The TRNC truly has the makings of an international centre of finance!

Geoff

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

What are you excited about?

Geoff

mike5

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Try visiting MONEXCHANGE, located opposite to lemar karakum...Hard-to-beat rates

--www.monexcyprus.com--

fallenangel

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Halifax also do not charge for taking sterling out of ATM's, best to get sterling and change as you go along.

Try and pay in lira in restaurants and shops, or they may give you a lower exchange rate. Don't forget to bring your

suncream, you will need it and its a bit expensive here. Have a great holiday.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.