North Cyprus Tourist Board - North Cyprus mobile phone network
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > North Cyprus mobile phone network

North Cyprus mobile phone network

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

richardm

Message Posted:
17/06/2007 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

Hello everyone. I am travelling with my wife and 5 kids on the 30th june to stay in a lovely villa near ilgaz. It is our first visit to the island of Cyprus and we are all looking forward to enjoying some cypriot hospitality and a relaxing holiday.

I have been doing a little research on mobiles as my wife and i are both bringing our phones with us. I have found that there are 2 providers for roaming service in N Cyprus , Turkcell and Vodafone Turkey/ Telsim. Problem is that i cant use my own tariff on Vodafone passport with these providers.Resulting in £ 1.70 Per minute calls.

I can however use the CYTA Network on Vodafone passport but apparently their coverage only extends just north of Nicosia and around the Famagusta direction and not around the girne area.

Could any kind person advise me what the coverage is really like and what any other vodafone users do there. A new local sim card isnt really an option for me as

I need to recieve calls at my current number.

Many thanks ,Richard.

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
19/06/2007 03:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Best get a local sim card and set your phone to forward ALL calls to the local number. Much, much cheaper than paying for UK roaming rates. Sim cards available just about every supermarket.

Good Luck and enjoy your holiday.

richardm

Message Posted:
20/06/2007 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Cheers pal.

stephencheshire

Message Posted:
25/06/2007 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

I speak as on O2 user who needs to keep in touch with the UK for business purposes when in the TRNC. I have had problems with Telsim in the past when accessing my voice mail box. The UK end doesnt recognise it as my phone and asks for my access code which it doesnt recognise either! So if you do use a UK phone and it picks up Telsim, I recommend manually switching to Turkcell to get UK functionality. What ever phone you use there is frequent network congestion at certain times of the day, but just keep trying.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.