North Cyprus Tourist Board - swimming pool problem, advise pls
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > swimming pool problem, advise pls

swimming pool problem, advise pls

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Swimming Pool threads posted so far

Tootie

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

The water in my overflow pool is returning into to balance tank, filling it up and running out the overflow pipe in the balance tank.

This is happening without the pump running and the water has dropped in the pool by nearly half over night.

Do I have a valve stuck somewhere?

Any ideas pls.

Ps I'm glad I have an overflow pipe in the tank

Quarmby

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

A non return valve is stuck open probably on the balance tank feed.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

I agree with Quarmby

To fix it, turn off the electricity, turn all the taps OFF (at rightangles to the pipes) and find the feed from the balance tank - it's usually the one physically closest to the balance tank, and it will have a non-return valve (NRV) in the pipe after the tap. n.b. make a note of which taps were ON, & which ones OFF!

There will be an arrow on the body of the NRV, indicating the direction of water flow - i.e. AWAY from the tap.

Make a note of this - it needs to go back the same way round!

Undo the two rings - one at each end of the NRV - and gently slide the NRV out sideways

You may need to carefully increase the gap that the NRV sits in, by gently applying pressure to the pipes on either side, in order for it to slip out without catching

Pull out all the bits of twigs, leaves and general crud, and rinse it under a tap

Ensure that the spring-loaded disk moves freely, and makes a good seal - test it under the tap to make sure that it holds water.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Slot the NRV back in position, ensuring that it is right way round, tighten the end rings BY HAND ONLY, restore all taps to their former positions, and turn the electricity back on.

Vaughan and most other pool companies would recommend that you have another NRV fitted in the feed to the pool jets - this will only handle clean water that has been through the filter, so should never become clogged up.

It IS 'belt and braces', but if the original NRV gets clogged again, at least you don't lose the water out of the pool.

A coarse filter in the pool gulley to trap debris before it goes into the balance tank will help, but do be aware that you need to inspect/clean it every day - if it does become blocked, then the gulley will overflow, and you'll lose your water that way...

For that reason, these coarse filters are not popular with some pool companies, but if you are there every day, and can check/clean it, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Tootie

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks Quamby and Keith.

I have managed to get hold of my pool company now and someone is coming out to have a look.

By reading you msg Keith, I would assume if my pool cleaning company did there job properly in the first place and cleaned the debris out the balance tank this would not have happened.

Is cleaning the balance tank usually part of the the £60 pm I pay them?

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Tootie,

Cleaning the check valve is usually part of pool maintenance. The problem is balance tank check valves can block again 5-mins after you clean them, hence the need for a back-up check valve on the inlet line.

Cleaning the crap out of the balance tank is usually an annual task offered by pool companies seperate to the pool maintenance.

Do you not have a contract or agreement with your pool company stating the scope of the works?

Tootie

Message Posted:
28/04/2010 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Hi Vaughan.

No contract or agreement with company just pay as you go.

They have been out and cleared the blockage in the valve and I have got them to clean all the dead leaves and crap out the bottom of the tank.

Im here all the time so I will get something to trap all the debris in the gully before it runs into the tank like Keith suggested.

Why cant these bloody people just do their job properly in the first place!!

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 08:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

You should have a written signed agreement with your pool company stating what you are paying and what they are doing for the money you pay. That way, everyone knows what they have to do and what they have to pay for.

MarkVPiazza

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Once a year I empty the balance tank as much as possible, then go in with a large round bucket, a square edged bucket, a dustpan and brush and a submersible pump.

I put the pump in the round bucket, and with the other bucket bail as much of the remaining water into the pump bucket, stirring up as much silt and muck as possible.

At the end I use the dustpan and brush to cobweb/brush anything remaining in the tank.

tomsteel

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

ref msgs 2-4 above. With this degree of 'common-sense' expertise you should write a "Pool User Guide" with simple sketch diagrams for clarifying the text and publish it locally. I would certainly buy a copy and I know many of the expats here would too. Whatever, thanks for the very positive assistance given to Tootie.

bazilbrush

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Do your own pool you know where your at then, and its so easy after a quick lesson. Saves a fortune in a year, if your living here obviously.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Cleaning a pool is easy if you can operate the "hoover" and use a brush on a pole.

Keeping your pool healthy, clear and blue is another matter.

As I always say "It isn't rocket science, but it is chemistry".

ceg123

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

I agree with TRNC Vaughan, things are easy .................until it goes wrong! Pump, green water etc and then you need the experts!

Thomas5

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Re. Msg 7

Tootie you say "No contract or agreement with company just pay as you go"

Quickly followed by "Why cant these bloody people just do their job properly in the first place"!!

How can you say that if you haven't been 'wise' enough to get a contract or agreement with a company?

It is time you went home to UK I think !!!

swyflot

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

not rocket science,to look after a pool,any problems give me a call, no charge.just basic advice

Tootie

Message Posted:
29/04/2010 23:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Thomas5, The reason I'am with the current pool company is because they were the ones who supplied and fitted the pump room equipment and I was advised to stick with them by my developer for the first year.

If you think its time I went back to the UK then could I ask why?

spook

Message Posted:
30/04/2010 02:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Try http://jshep.users.ftech.net/pools.htm may give some useful info

ceg123

Message Posted:
30/04/2010 07:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Good grief! My pool contract works out to £2.00 per day everything included. Gives me peace of mind for the price of a couple of beers.

deger

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Hi, Tootie it possible the problem is under the overflow tiles there is a crack. We can fix this but I must see it in order to determine a price. Also if you are fedup with your current pool company I own a pool cleaning company if you would like to get in contact with me ring me at 0533 833 6982 Kurt.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

More often than not, ballast tanks can contain 'builder's rubble' and block up the NRV so it can't close, so it 'open circuits'.

Quarmby and KeithCaley have given you the right advice, as has TRNC Vaughan!

While you're at it, after your pool maintenance people have just left, check whether, or not, they've bothered to (properly) clean the pump filtre - I have to do it every time for my neighbour as his 'cowboys' never do, despite being told time without number.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.