North Cyprus Tourist Board - travel insurance
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > travel insurance

travel insurance

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

larry f

Message Posted:
03/07/2008 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me whether TRNC is classified as "Europe" or "The rest of the world " when purchasing travel insurance?

Thanks,

Theresa

Linus

Message Posted:
03/07/2008 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

It may depend I guess on the insurance company but with mine they class it as Europe. NC is classed as Cyprus

larry f

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 00:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks Linus

I'm trying to book online and they just give the option of Europe or Worldwide but I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow to be sure

spook

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 00:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Larry often cheaper to by your own insurance than use at somewhere like Tesco or the Post Office than online, friends who visited had Tesco Policy and had to make a claim, no prob, Cyprus def part of Europe.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 00:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Cyprus both North and South is classed as Europe, no ifs and buts

larry f

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks for all your help

Larry

PtePike

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Do check it out, though. It was only on close examination that I saw one insurance quote only considered Turkey east of the Bosphorus to be Europe, so who knows what some would consider the north of Cyprus to be? I guess that's when some pople aren't quite as vocal in their insistance the TRNC is a sovereign, independent country.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

I tried to get travel insurance a couple of years ago for a skiing holiday. Knowing how evasive companies can be when paying out, I went to great lengths to ensure that they knew exactly where we lived. I even emailed the Foreign Office and the EU commission in Hague. Guess what, according to them TRNC is NOT in Europe. I eventually got insurance via World Nomads after several exchanges of emails. Now it is a lot easier. Go along to FMA in Alsancak and they can sort out single trip or annual cover for you which, incidentally, covers you in the South! FMA can be contacted on 0533 845 7296 and 0392 821 8761. P.S. I have no connection with the firm apart from getting my travel insurance from them.

Biker

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Pike

Your Quote:

"I saw one insurance quote only considered Turkey east of the Bosphorus to be Europe"

Cannot be quite true, as it should be the west of Bosporus, Should it not ?

Biker

PtePike

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Biker,

I was swimming upside down in the Bosphorus when I wrote that.

Biker

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Pike

Same as always then, eh ?

Try looking at things the right way round.

Thanks for the kind words on the other post.

Biker

flightholiday

Message Posted:
04/07/2008 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Loving Cyprus - sorry it depends on each insurance policy (the underwriters may not have the same rules even in one company).

At one point it was safe to say any country with a border on the Med. was Europe according to the travel insurers - this no longer applies.

You must check the small print before buying the policy!

The insurer we use on our web site http://www.flightholiday.co.uk does classify most of the countries with a Mediteranean border as Europe including Turkey (so if you had a problem on a stopover you would be covered there too).

ianj774

Message Posted:
06/07/2008 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Hello All, I will be driving from UK to Bogaz on 22nd July. My insurance company has told me that I am not covered for Turkey. Does anyone know if I can get covered on-line?, or will there be an insurance office in the port area of Cesme??. I will also need TRNC insurance when I arrive, any idea's on price, both fully comp and 3rd party. I have a renault Kangoo 1.5 diesel. Thanks in advance, Ian.

Coachie

Message Posted:
07/09/2008 23:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

depending on your age,i.e below65 and NO AND I MEAN NO medical pre-existing conditions(that phrase covers a multitude of problems) it is some times alot cheaper to book ANNUAL WORLD WIDE policy especially if you travel more than once in the 12 month period. If you are doing for afamily or acouple you have to declare each indivuals medical problems and let the insurer decide what they will or will not cover,if you fail to declare anything,even if you think it is not important,and you make a claim(unless its for an accident i.e you fell down some steps and broke your leg) they will find something to avoid paying you. I have personal experience of this,my daughterhas eventually got her case to the INSURANCE OMBUDSMAN AFTER 3YEARS. So do read the small print it may save you a lot of heartache should something happen, which of course we all no, it always happens to somebody else.

fire starter

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

don't use the post office! hubby was taken ill with food poisoning, 4 star a la carte food poisoning, in turkey a few years ago. saw the dr, had the reports. holiday company got us emergancy flights home. when we put the claim into p.o. they refused to pay because we had not read the small print which somewhere said that if you became ill you needed to call there assistance number. (they couldn't have done anymore for us than the hotel and travel company. we were only claiming for two return flights which were fifty pounds each.)

since then we have not taken any as there is no point. a credit card has the same effect if you get into trouble.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Hi Fire starter - you have a rather unusal c/c if it helps with hospitalisation loss of baggage etc which is what a Travel Insurance policy should cover for.

The only cover that they may have obligation for is if you lsot your flights or package through the supplier (airline or tour operator) going bust.

Tom

Coachie

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Tom.... some credit card companies do give free travel ins. if you pay for the whole price of the holiday with there card.my cousindoes it regularly.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

The "cover" provided by C.C. is very limited and is not meant as a substitute for Travel Insurance. In fact if you read the "small print" you will find it is of no use in routine small claims.

I may sound a smart a***e but I do read the small print on all of these things and unfortunatley the instance that fire starter quotes is not unique. In fact it is more the norm that you must contact the 24 hour help line at the earliest opportunity. The company are correct not to pay out in that instance. It is same as theft, that you must produce a police report even for the smallest thing if you are going to claim. It is these sort of events that have forced up premiums over the years from false claims and why the companies now have so much small print to protect themselves.

Please do not blame the insurance companies, they may try every which way not to pay out but follow the details to the letter in the policy, reading it before you buy is preferable, and you should have your claim processed to your satisfaction.

Coachie

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 17:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

I know where you are coming from fire starter.... two of my daughters and there kids and hubbies went to a4*star hotel in turkey and they all had aform of food poisoning which they had to get medication forand on top of the food problem,4 out the 8 came back with nasty ear infections, and when they rang insurance company to claim there medical expenses back thy got the same answer.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Cyprusishome

yes!

On another point If your insurer knows about pre-exisitng conditions they have four options

1] Refuse your policy

2] Accept your risk but explicitly NOT cover your conditions

3] Accept you risk under qualifying terms

4] Acept your risk fully under their normal terms

The costs go up 1>4.

Should your health or other risks change between taking out the policy you are well advised to also let them know. For example you break a toe between booking and departure let them know; your relative is taken ill (next of kin not 5th removed) let them know in case it is serious. It should not affect your pokicy ec. bgut at least when it is of record they can't try to squirm out of a later claim as you have "done the right thing".

"If you have a problem or possible claim before you move a muscle call the insurer." This I was told three days ago by the MD of one of the most proffesional claims while abroad help lines in the business. His reasoning was that they often know the hospitals etc and can therefore make things far easier for you.

Tom

http://www.flightholiday.co.uk

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.