North Cyprus Tourist Board - Help with Migraine attacks
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Help with Migraine attacks

Help with Migraine attacks

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

mrperfect

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 07:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Does anyone have any and advice on treating Migraines and could recommend a suitable Doctor in this field, preferably in the Girne area. Thanks.

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 07:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

i had meningitis many years ago, and to help with the searing headaches, i was given an oxygen tank to breathe, and it was amazing! Not sure where you could buy one, but it works far more better than pills that's for sure!

DD

nurseawful

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 07:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

Not sure what migraine pills are sold here but if you go the the pharmacist

they will advice you and sell them over the counter.

Avoid things like chocolate, dairy products, alcohol and cigarettes in the meantime as they are often triggers.

Also if you can get a herb called 'feverfew' grow in your garden and make an infusion from this. My brother hasn't had a migraine in the last couple of years since starting drinking this the minute he feels a headache coming on.

Chris

Sandie

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 07:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Suffered from migraine for many years and tried everything including seeing private neurologist etc and then a GP friend advised me to have food intolerance testing and once I excluded the intolerances from my diet migraines became a rare occurrence. Worked for me but we all have different triggers but hope you find somethig that helps soon.

booitsme

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Try to get some Imigran from your local pharmacy and take at the start of an attack. If you can't get any I have a pack you can have. Also, if you have someone coming out from Uk ask them to bring some Boots Tension Headache Relief tablets. They work a treat with my migraines but they do knock you out (handy when the pain and nausea are bad) but it really does work for me. Again I can let you have a couple of these tablets until you can get a supply. Hope this helps

cooper

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 08:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

My wife found that dehydration was the main trigger for her, so now drinks three glasses of water first thing in the morning and then more during the day and now she very really gets them.

Cooper

Geoff

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 09:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

Cooper I take it you mean: ..very RARELY gets them.

??

Geoff

cooper

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 09:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Yes Geoff thats what i mean: .. RARELY i do !!

sienna

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 09:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

I suffer from three types of migraine - I didnt even realise there were three types - I was given tablets but I dont take them for other reasons, however the worst thing for me was Coffee I found if I cut it out completely at least 2 out of the three have stopped.

Message 3 is correct with the other things to avoid, hope you get sorted they are a right pain in the head !!! they are not nice

NanaJan

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

I always found that Migraleve two coloured tablets taken at the onset helped me a lot.

Private Consultant told me also that getting constipated causes lots of headaches not only migraine and so to avoid that and drink water to keep hydrated. Liquorice also was a trigger for me and I used to love the allsorts but had to stop eating them. Hormones are also a big trigger and so for ladies especially try not to get stressed at the time of the month.

For some reason putting a teaspoon of sugar in my tea at the onset helped.

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Nanajan, you are right about mentrual migranes, something I suffer from. I usually have to lie down with no sound and in darkness, even a slight movement makes me sick.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

Mrs Snakes - you have my deepest sympathy - I, too, had years of this type of migraine. I do not know how old you are, but if it's any consolation, mine disappeared with the onset of the menopause.

Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul

J

Panchocat

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

I use Imigran in injection form and they do work very quickly. A bit like an epipen to use in the thigh, I have tried the tablet form but they seem to add to the nausea. I haven't needed them recently and still have some from the UK, so you would need to ask the chemist if they are available here. Citrus fruit was one of my triggers so perhaps add it to the list of food triggers.

For Cluster headaches (Called Suicide headaches in the states) breathing oxygen is the best thing, in the UK you can get litre canisters, again not sure about here though.

Good luck I know how debilitating they can be.

Sandcastle

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 14:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Imigran is fantastic, but if you feel one comming on, use a tension relief tablet called Syndol. I get them very badley but if I catch them early enough with Syndol I rarely need anything else. Can be bought very easily over the counter here in the UK. Fresh cold air also helps which goes with the oxygen already mentioned.

Strange as it might seem, normal Coke a cola also helps mine. Not diet or any other make, but full fat, full addatives etc. The hospital told me that this is normal for people to suffer from Migraines to get some relief from this. Also helps with my hangovers !!!

I find that white wine triggers mine, as do some of the red food colourings especially those in pre-made indian foods! Fresh is best.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

You can get Imigran in all chemists here, but they are expensive. Unlike England the packet only has 2 pills in and costs around 40 lira. I have had them for more years than I care to remember, and this is the only thing that works for me, even after having taken them for so many years. The doctors do advise not to take more than 6 a month.

booitsme

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 16:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Sandcastle - if you want to save some money go for the Boots Tension Headache Relief tablets - they have exactly the same ingredients as Syndol but much, much cheaper, trust me I'm a pharmacist

mrperfect

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have the boots option winging its way from UK and will try imigran in the meantime. Lastly, and I hope this isnt a siily question - is it normal to have a lingering 'headache' the day after a migraine?

booitsme

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

Mrperfect, I always have a headache for at least the day after the actual migraine has gone and I generally feel quite washed out. It's only after another good night sleep that I feel fully better. Hope you don't get too many attacks but the offer still stands if you want the Boots tablets before they get here from UK.

Blackbird

Message Posted:
01/05/2010 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

I also had big problems with migraine. Once, the headaches were so severe I ended up in hospital after being violently sick.

I had tablets, but they would only work for a while.

I found by chance that if I felt a headache coming on, I would go and lie down in a darkened room with my eyes shaded. This didn't completely relieve the problem but helped a lot...

I don't know if that was the definite cure, but I no longer suffer at all...

littlejohn

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 01:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

My wife suffered attacks which lasted 3 to 5 days until she was prescribed Maxalt Melt ( Oral Lyophillisate - Rizatripan ) made by Merck Sharp & Dohme Ltd. She has not had a serious attack since.

Groucho

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 07:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

Bananas and oranges are also well know triggers...

Do you think it's worth keeping a food diary to see if you can find some common denominator? e.g. write down what and when you eat and see if there is a correlation with the onset of the migraine.

I'm not a sufferer but I worked with a woman who only had to walk into a room where a banana skin remained and she got an instant migraine! It's a very serious condition, often misunderstood in nature and effect.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Migraleve was mentioned - the 'active ingredients' of both colour tablets are Paracetamol and Codeine, otherwise known as Co-Codamol which is a lot cheaper! A shot of caffeine enhances the effectiveness of the medication, so provided that it is not one of your 'triggers' you could wash the tablets down with a cup of tea, coffee, or Coke, or perhaps take one of those ProPlus tablets, intended to keep us oldies shambling about instead of dozing off after lunch

The Pink Migraleve tablets, (to be taken at the onset of symptoms) also contain an anti-emetic to reduce nausea/vomiting, and there are tablets available over-the-counter here that do the same thing, cheaper! - e.g. Buccastem & Stemetil.

As always, when self-medicating, you should consult the pharmacist about possible side effects, or contra-indications, but if your doctor has prescribed Migraleve to you, or you have used it in the past you should be ok

ALSO - **Observe the recommended limits for Paracetamol intake**

phylray

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

My eldest son suffered badly for years with migraine - started when he was only 8

but since medical advice he has: 1. Changed his diet and eliminated trigger foods.

2. Takes more exercise 3. Drinks more water. 4. Takes Imigram in need, but

rarely now as Solpadeine works if taken at the first signs of one

I felt so sorry for him as I never get them (except hangover type sometimes!) and he

jonce told me he felt like jumping out of the window when they were so bad, now he

hardly ever gets them.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

Good reference sites for info:

http://www.migrainetrust.org/C2B/document_tree/ViewACategory.asp?CategoryID=164

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Migraine.htm

bakhyt

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

I have a Cefaly for sale , this is great for migraine,you can research it on the net,bought if for someone who no longer needs it.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
02/05/2010 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

My son used to suffer from migraine - started at around age 7. GP referred him to the Neurological Hospital in London where the consultant told him he'd probably grow out of them by age about 14 (7 year cycle) and, fortunately, he did. Pleased to say he doesn't suffer at all now.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.