North Cyprus Tourist Board - diver needed to take out propella from a boat in the harbour Girne
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > diver needed to take out propella from a boat in the harbour Girne

diver needed to take out propella from a boat in the harbour Girne

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Diving in North Cyprus

LostFound

Message Posted:
03/05/2010 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Estimated work time approximately 1 hour to take out propella and then put it back after its been adjusted at the workshop in Karaoglanolou.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/05/2010 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

How recently has the propellor been taken off - what is the weight and diameter of the propellor - is it all tangled up with fishing line, netting or rope?

Are you still going to pay a diver after he surveys the job and then tells you the propellor cannot be removed without lifting the boat out and placing on the 'hard'?

How can you possibly 'guesstimate' ONE hour for the job?

Quite impossible!

Please note that any diver doing such a job should have a rope attached between him and and a 'shoreman/ropeman' who knows the rope signals. Also, said diver must have access to a spare standby air cylinder with regulator attached, open and ready to breathe.

Remember, that even in the clear water of the harbour, the moment the job is touched, the underwater viz is highly liable to be reduced to zero, so the job then must be done by 'feel', which requires a diver experienced in this type of work.

A 'Scoobydoo' might get away with it - but 'Dikkat'!

LostFound

Message Posted:
03/05/2010 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

no its not tangled at all. It was taken off last year admıttedly out of the water and the part inside was taken to the workshop and made new but the connection was not perfect and needs taking again for adjustment. propeller 60.70 kilos. The Captain and his crew seem confident that it can be removed by a diver.

cyprusjoker

Message Posted:
03/05/2010 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

How deep is the prop?

david123

Message Posted:
03/05/2010 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Hi,

Please contact Cengiz at North Cyprus Scuba on 0533 868 3165

I am sure he might be able to help.

Regards.

David

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
03/05/2010 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

sounds like a Cyprus hour to me lol

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/05/2010 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

It sounds like the 'spline' inside the hub of the propellor has stripped, on the other hand it could well be the spline on the driveshaft. Usually, the prop is fastened on with a 'castellated nut' and a split-pin.

It sounds as though the prop has 'grounded', hit a rock, or the damage could have been caused by jamming the motor into reverse from forward at too high a speed.

Whoever does the job - if it gets to the stage of fitting the prop back on - make sure he smears plenty of 'RescUsteel' (non-viscous marine grease - usually red in colour) on the shaft and inside the propellor hub.

I'd have a go at the job for you, as I've done countless numbers, but I don't have a work permit, so daren't take the risk - sorry!

LostFound

Message Posted:
05/05/2010 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

I am posting this on behalf of the boat owner and as far as I can make out yes it sounds like their talking about the nut and split pin, it wasnt lined up properly in the work shop and makes the boat shake more than it should, its nout serious but would be nice to find someone who can take it out under water. Will tell them to phone Scuba Cyprus.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
05/05/2010 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Message 8 I have 30 years of boat and prop experience, Not lined up properly, is it cross threaded? if so awkward in the Water, to put right,

I take it this is a fixed shaft prop, If it makes boat shake is prop chipped badly ?

It is not an easy job under water , becuase if prop bolted on tight, (as it should be,) prop will need securing ie. strong plank or similar to allow nut to be undone

Message 7 is spot on, but older props did have a coned nut and a split pin.

Cant understand how a prop can not be lined up correctly, I think you need further investigation first.

henrik

Message Posted:
06/05/2010 01:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

hey, the only SERIOUS guy for this job is a diver who is also underwater welder and a tech deep diver - who also works for Amphora Diving @ Escape Beach. His name is Emre Kolaç, you can reach him easy:

Emre Kolaç / DeepWorx / Director / Nicosia, Cyprus / Underwater Salvage & Construction

emrekolac@hotmail.com / 05338698459 / 00903922286170

FB Profile: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=603870822&ref=ts

Good luck

Hippo

Message Posted:
06/05/2010 07:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

60.70 kilos prop!!!!???

I have heard some theory's here, obviously none have done a prop removal, jam with a piece of wood??

It is a not a simple job, you can either do it either using a bottle or even free diving using a light weight belt.

First engage gearbox. lock shaft. If you cant, put a metal rod through the coupling. So easy.

Clean the nut and surrounding area with a wire brush and take off nut.

The problem you will have is that most props are on a taper shaft, you have to use either a puller. or shock them off, the later is very hard under water.

Depending on what type of boat it is and if the prop weight is what you say its a gullet type.

On a very calm day reverse slowly into the shallows and you can do it very simply standing in the water.

These are not theory's.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
06/05/2010 07:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

A bronze prop doesn't have to be very large to weigh 60-70 Kg's, but the prop should be securely supported, preferably by webbing strapping attached to the boat.

Cleaning the nut and surrounding area - this is where and when underwater visibility is reduced to nil in almost every case - so your 'hour' estimate for the job is way out, I'm afraid.

As Hippo rightly says, it's very difficult to knock a prop off, which is why I asked you when it had last been removed. You can't get much force behind a hammer/mallet when wielding it underwater. Does the boat owner have a specific prop puller for the prop that's fitted to the boat - what's the diameter of the prop hub?

Boat shaking: maybe loose or worn prop shaft bearing - could be a bent prop shaft or bent/damaged prop blade (3 blade, I presume?). Does the motor shake when the gearbox is disengaged. Quite honestly, if the owner can't do the job himself, it'd be better to get the boat lifted out and inspected.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
06/05/2010 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Just another thought: If there is vibration and the boat has run for any length of time, it's likely that the packing in the 'packing gland' will need replacing - otherwise it will soon, if not already, start to leak - especially if the shaft is running 'out of round'.

Any diver will charge an inspection fee - after all, it's all work for him. This prop is quite heavy and will require lifting out by some means (it may need to be hung from an airbag and floated to a suitable location for uplifting) - suggest you organise additional help for the diver if possible, also a truck with a winch, or Hiab.

Sounds like you've had the job 'Cypriotised' before - any prop needs to be balanced perfectly before refitting - bear this in mind - any prop requires the same - boat or aircraft.

Allowing the motor and prop shaft assembly to continue to vibrate will soon cause serious damage to the motor!

Hope the boat owner has 'deep pockets', because it's no good 'cheapskating' the job!

Hippo

Message Posted:
06/05/2010 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Looking again at the original posting, vibration is more likely to be caused by either of the following.

Engine mountings

Cutlass bearing.

Depending on what type of seal you have.

Stuffing box deep sea seal or Volvo type they will need replacing also if it has been running out of alignment for some time there maybe wear in the prop shaft ie new prop shaft.

Although it is possible to do one in the water, i have but it is difficult Job, the best way is hauling the boat.

Certainly you need someone that knows what they are doing.

It is virtully impossible to fit a prop wrongley.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
06/05/2010 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

It could be possible that the boat broached in shallow water, bottomed, and slightly bent the propshaft.

Hippo is so right - the shaft spline and the prop's insert spline are 'male' and 'female' - many props, especially in sterndrives and outboards have the spline rubber mounted - this needs liquid nitrogen treatment to remove, or replace the spline. I doubt your prop has this system, but as I said previously correct 'balance' is essential. Because you mention 'vibration', I believe it would be prudent to lift the vessel out onto the 'hard', chock her up and get the whole job done properly - otherwise, even if your diver succeeds in removing and replacing the prop, you might still have the vibration problem. Then it'll be no use calling the diver again, will it? You'll still end up having to lift her out.

I'm not trying to quote you 'a worst case scenario' - merely practicality!

Of course, whatever action to wish to take - that's entirely up to you - your call!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Suggest you check if there's a (worn) 'universal coupling' in the drive train between the motor and the propellor - the vibration might not even be from the propellor.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.