North Cyprus Tourist Board - How long can you be out of north cyprus on a temporary residency
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > How long can you be out of north cyprus on a temporary residency

How long can you be out of north cyprus on a temporary residency

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

honestie

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 11:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Does anyone know if the ruling that if you are out of the TRNC for more than a total of 3 months in one year your temporary residency is invalidated.

Someone mentioned it to me but dont seem to be able to get as usual a definate answer.

Geoff

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

If you are out of the TRNC for more than 3 months why do you need a Temporary Residence Permit in the first place?? You can come in at any time for up to 90 days without one, not more than a total of 182 days in any 12 month period. And yes, they DO check,

Geoff

Famagusta City.

scruff

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Perhaps ask them at the Police Station or Residency Office in Lefkosa? I have never heard this but it's not a normal scenario. I'm assuming that this is a one off or are you going to spend 9 mths here & 3 mths away each year?

I don't understand Geoff's remark in message 2. It depends whether you are going in or out for a total of 3 mths or just once in the year for 3 mths & this isn't clear from the question?

Geoff

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

I agree, not clear from the question. However, my comment was clear enough I think. If you are in and out you don't need a Residence Permit provided:

1. No single stay exceeds 90 days.

2. Total days here does not exceed 182 days in ANY (not just calender year) 12 month period.

Geoff

Groucho

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Geoff, reading between the lines, I think you are coming at this from the wrong angle for honestie.

I think they don't want to avoid paying for residency at all and they probably want to qualify for permanent residency at some stage but are worried that leaving the island for an extended period might put them back at square one, with the health checks and all that malarkey... Heaven forfend.

I know some other people interested in the answer...

honestie

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Sorry maybe the question wasnt clear. I did have work permit but have finished work as retired. Intending to apply for temporary residency but as in and out of the country for a combined period of over 3 months (not all in one go) in a 12 month period I was informed that it would negate the temporary residency. I have been given differant information at the relevant offices and I do not therefore wish to go through the process of applying and all that malarky and then having it invalidated as yes they do check.

I am just fed up of explaining each time I come and go and just wondered if anyone had ever had the problem

Think I will just have to try and get it in writing from the residency office as the police station are most unhelpful.

And no its not because I want to avoid paying for my checks etc.

thanks anyway

Groucho

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Jacqueline,

If you do get an answer please let us know..

Thanks

compass

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Honestie

As I understand it you are referring to the 90 day rule which is as follows.

If you are out of the country for more than 90 days in any one year, then THAT year doesn't count towards the 6 years you need to apply for permanent residency.

I believe it does not put you back to the beginning or make you liable to have all the medical checks carried out again, it simply negates that year from the total of 6 you ultimately require to take the next step.

I know people who have many more than 6 counting years but choose not to apply for permanent residency, it is optional.

Compass

Brinsley

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 21:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Msg 8

What next step? It just doesn't happen, irrespective of how many travel journeys or not have been taken in or out of the Country during the previous 6 years!

Richard

Geoff

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 08:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Re No.5. Thanks Groucho, yes I had misunderstood the original enquiry. I have some friends from UK who have a house here and are retired and come out twice a year, for 90 days each time. 90 days in, 90 days out, 90 days in, etc. They neither have nor do they need any type or Residency Permit. It was their situation that prompted my initial replies. Clearly Honestie's situation is somewhat different.

Geoff

honestie

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

I live here in north cyprus ,it is my home and want to apply for temp residency now my work permit has finished.If I didnt then the going back and forth to a home in uk wouldnt cause me the problem but as I either luckily or unluckily am out of north cyprus due to family committments for more than 3 months in a calender year I was informed I couldnt have temp residency. I am just sick of having to give explanations each time I either go over the border as the immigration cannot understand why my work permit has finished and I havent got temp residency.

AS they do check on the number of times you are in and out and as they are a law unto themselves at the borders I really just wondered if anyone else had encounterd the problem. Sorry if the question I asked was misunderstood but as I am sure you know a straight answer is something you never get here.

Thanks for the replies and will attempt to get something in writing from immigration at Lefkosa which will be a first!

Rocker

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Visit Club Lamrusa on aSaturday morning Trevor from BRS is there and has all the latest information.

Rocker

honestie

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

thanks Rocker will do

Geoff

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Well I/we would give you a straight answer if (a) there was one and (b) I/we knew it.

You will find here in the TRNC that very often there is (a) no straight answer and that (b) they move the goal posts often.

This forum is often to get the answers, even if not straightforward.

Geoff

Famagusta City

honestie

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

thanks Geoff

I certainly know there is never ususally a straight answer in the TRNC Ive been here long enough. Just wondered if anyone on the forim had encountered the same problem recently that was all.

Thanks anyway and will do my best to fiand a straightish answer again from the authorities

scruff

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

We have a friend who is regularly returning to the UK. for at least 2 or 3 or even longer, every 3 months of every year. This has been going on since he first came to live here back in 2003. Initially he got Temporary Residency back in 2003. Then for some reason he let it lapse (I cannot remember why). When he returned from a UK. trip he was told he must renew his residency straight away. This was at Ercan airport when he arrived. He had to start all over again, with new health checks. This was obviously quite costly for a 2nd time in 2 years.

He has since renewed his Temporary Residency every year & still has it to this day. His trips to the UK. continue. He will spend an absolute minimum of 8 weeks a year in the UK, but it could be as much 12 weeks or more. He has never had any difficulties since at Ercan, as a result of these visits.

Isn't this the same scenario.

People were & did get Permanent residency, at least until last year. Don't know what the current situation is though.

honestie

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 21:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

thanks a lot scruff and yep similar senario exce[t its my work permit thats lapsed and no intention of working here again . As said it seems to be the immigration officer thats on at the time and theres been numerous threads re visa etc so dont want to keep on about it.will do my best to get the correct info from the immigration authorities in nicosia but dont hold my breath thanks anyway

scruff

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 21:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

My first sentence in the last posting should have read "at least 2 or 3 weeks". Obviously you got the message honestie & good luck in finding out the true situation.

I certainly know that if you are out of the TRNC. for more than 90 days a year, you apparently fail to qualify for a year towards Permanent Residency application, but this is not the same scenario that you are describing in your enquiry. The Permanent Residency thing was in Cyprus Today, so it must be correct. ha ha.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.