North Cyprus Tourist Board - UK cars in north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > UK cars in north cyprus

UK cars in north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

dunny

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Hi all new to the site. I have looked at lots of postings on cars. can anyone answer a question i have.

I will be bringing my own car to North cyprus, I am only renting before i buy nex year and only if we settle.

Obviously i dont want to pay import tax if i decide to leave at the end of the year. Has anyone come across this situation before. If we decide to stay will pay the duty as soon as we get residency. On another point if we decide to stay Are there any restrictions of how many cars you can bring in and register?

PS cant wait to move out as we love the place and were sad our cancelled flight was so quick at being re sheduled as would have loved to have stayed longer but work and packing would have taken a hit!!

House rental is all sorted in Arapkoy so role on June!!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
07/05/2010 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Renting/owning your own property ,you can bring your own vehicle over and keep it in TRNC with UK plates for 13 months(30 days first and 2 lots of 6 months) without having to pay the import tax straight away.It'd be for your benefit as the tax is calculated based on the vehicle's current value.

If you are thinking of bringing over more then one vehicle (2),

1-Make sure first one is no older then 5 years of age,and second one is no older then 3 years of age.Thats providing both in your name.

2-If any of the vehicle(s) older then 5 years of age,it'd need to be in your name(logbook) for no less then 5 years.

What you must obtain;

contract of rent,ins-outs,Muhtars residency letter,if shipping it over bill of loading,ORDINO(dont ask me what that means)

dunny

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 00:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Ceers for quick repy, The car is a 2008 dicovery(my baby) I am looking at driving down with my 9 year old sun a bit of male bonding HA!HA! No the reason being i have a dog in toe and figured it would be cheaper to do it this way! Dont suppose you know anyone that could help in that department please as its all getting a little stressfull as travelling when i get back from sea beginning of June.

Once again Cheers

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 01:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

When you arrive here,you'll be given 30 days permit.In that time you'll need to get your papers ready.

Do please make sure you have years road tax as it is much more expensive here,specialy for 4x4 s.DONT FORGET TO GET A GREEN CARD AS IT CAN BE RATHER EXPENSIVE JOURNEY OTHERWISE.

If you need help call me on 0533 873 9181

Sal1262

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

You have a dog in tow? Will the dog need to be quarantined on arrival?

wanderer

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

I appreciate that you do not want to import the car now but possibly in 12 months

That particular car will cost an arm and leg in import duty check the cost with customs

1 On Value of the car

2 Engine size highest tax level and even more if its diesel engine

Rocker

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Yes your dog will be quaranteed anything upto 28 days. You will need the dogs passport including all documentation and proof of blood tests abour rabbies etc. Your vet in the uk should be able to help. Whilst the dog is in quarantine You will be expected to visit the kennels in Kyrenia twice a day to feed and exercise the dog. The Kennels do nothing except keep animals in cages and many have no real protection from the Sun or rain I regretted bringing my dog here.

Rocker.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

providing all paperwork is in order regarding pets,they stay there over night and you go take them home after.

Since I cant see anyone bringing over strays from UK,it should all be fine.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Don't forget to apply to DEFRA in the UK for an Export Licence, and to the TRNC Vetinary department for an IMPORT Licence - & do it WELL in advance, so that you are aware of the timings required for the series of Rabies jabs, and the validity period for the pet's certificate of health from your Vet.

And good luck!

dunny

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Hi guy's I have already looked into cost of car import and if we stay are more than happy to pay it as last time out there visited land rover dealers and found out the price. As for the dog she is all jabbed up with a passport and i was hoping someone who as done the trip could shed some light. I was looking at driving down through france and then to italy to catch the ferry so i dont have to cross so many boarders.

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
08/05/2010 23:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Dunny

I see from your post that you are renting first .If you do decide not to stay and you return to the UK your dog will have to do 6 Months Quarintine when returning.

No way legally around it even if you have all the right documentation.

My fees were over 2 grand but the good thing is we get her back in 3 weeks

keithcaley

Message Posted:
09/05/2010 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

dunny,

I'm not saying that you've not done your 'homework' or anything, but TRNC is no longer in the 'Pet Passport' scheme - there are very specific requirements when moving a pet to TRNC, and I just want you to avoid falling foul of the 'fairly obtuse' regulations...

bestregards,

Keith.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/05/2010 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Ferry from Ancona to Patras > then from Patras > drive to Turkish border, wherever you like > drive down to

Mersin > ferry to Girne.

You could do Patras > drive to Piraeus > ferry to Rhodes > ferry to Limassol - you'll need further (updated) advice before embarking on this one. The Cyps (North & South) always try and put every obstacle in your way - they're notorious for doing so, and as far as I know, nothing's changed.

Be prepared for multiple, very nasty and expensive shocks when you encounter TRNC Customs - be warned, be very warned!

Don't even consider it if you wear a 'Pacemaker'!!!

Bertie

Message Posted:
09/05/2010 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Only three weeks quarantine at home for dogs now when they come here providing you have had the rabies vaccine then the blood test and all other documents correct and lathough the pet passport isnt recognised as such here you will need it plus export and import licence

The car tax is high but like you we have decided it is worth our while to import a car, there are two ways of looking at it and your car will be worth more once here and duty paid.

dunny

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Cheers everyone, I am more than happy with your comments. Tank you for your help.

BatteryBoy

Message Posted:
13/05/2010 03:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Message 14

Hi Bertie, you say that if your dog/dogs have had the rabies vaccine and blood test and all paper work up to date, I could get away with 3 weeks home quarantine. If that is true, you have made me the happiest man on this planet. It would drive me mad if they had to go into kenels.

batteryboy

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.