North Cyprus Tourist Board - timing of transfer at Istanbul airport
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > timing of transfer at Istanbul airport

timing of transfer at Istanbul airport

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

decaf66

Message Posted:
09/05/2010 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

I will be flying Turkish Airlines from Birmingham International to North Cyprus via Istanbul Airport tomorrow.

The timing seems rather tight i.e. land at 17.25 and then catch flight at 18.25. Just one hour difference.

Knowing how busy Attaturk usually is, what happens if my plane is late/passport control is slow/ baggage is not at Ercan the same time/plane as me?

Grateful for words of advice or comfort.

John.

roblyn

Message Posted:
09/05/2010 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Flew Manchester/Ercan Nov 2009 with Turkish Airlines.

One hour plenty of time to get through transit for your Ercan flight

I had a major panic at Istanbul airport because I had my dog travelling with me.

Turkish Airlines had it all under control. Flight attendants helpful and reassuring

Relax and enjoy your flight

dublinderm

Message Posted:
09/05/2010 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Hi decaff,

I can echo roblyn's reassurances. I have made tight connections at IST to ECN before without any difficulty. Try and get the check in staff at BHX to issue you with your onward boarding card as the transit desk at IST can be a bit of a scrum at times.

With regard to bags, usually no worries there. They use a Baggage Reconciliation System (BRS) at IST that means they will be aware your bags are on the flight from BHX and in theory the flight to ECN cannot leave without them. It does not always work but failures are rare.

Good luck!

DD

Alisun

Message Posted:
09/05/2010 23:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

We travelled Turkish Airlines from BHX last October with the same 1 hour transfer timetable - checking in at Birmingham we were advised we had a one hour delay but were reassured the plane to Ercan would wait for us - when we eventually took off one and a half hours late we were again reasuured the onward plane would wait - landing at Istanbul we sprinted to the new gate (we had been given our onwards boarding card at BHX) - reassured to see the plane still there so assumed we would be ok. Unfortunately Istanbul ground staff refused to reopen the deserted gate and all 30 of us stood there and watched the plane taxi away with no further flights that night. Yes they put us up in a hotel in the centre of Istanbul for the night but when you're only nipping over for 5 nights (with kids) to lose one was a major problem - so sorry as much as I have always tried to support the north we have booked all our flights for this year through Larnaca -can't stand the worry about the transfer.

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
10/05/2010 00:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Hi John

I'm flying from Manchester tomorrow - same problem, my flight gets into Istanbul at 17.25 and the Ercan flight is 18.25. I have done it before - it can be tight but your baggage will be checked straight through to Ercan, We should be given boarding cards for both flights at Manchester (or in your case Birmingham) so, as long as the first flight is on time we should all be fine! I am more concerned with the volcanic ash cloud! have been watching reports all day and it's not looking good. Fingers crossed & bon voyage!!

Maggie

Brinsley

Message Posted:
10/05/2010 00:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

M&B

Not looking too clever!

Richard

tonyhickey

Message Posted:
10/05/2010 02:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Went Manchester via Istanbul to Ercan at Easter just made the connection to Ercan with 5 mins to spare.

Not to bad coming back was delayed at Istanbul, Cases came back a day later. would next time use monarch to larnaca I think it saves a lot of messing about and is a lot quicker

Tony

mikea11

Message Posted:
10/05/2010 06:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Turkish Airlines get my vote even though they have just cancelled our Christmas stanstead fight and we now have to go into Heathrow. This means a four hour wait at Istanbal on our return.Normally we have no problems with them. Tried Larnaca (Monarch) Not impressed at all.Will never use them again if we can help it. Especially after the way they treated quite a few of our friends during the ash problems. Even CTA responded better than them.

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
10/05/2010 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

The Manchester flight landed 1 minute late and the Birmingham flight 6 mins late so I think they should be OK

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

I made it ok from Manchester - 20 min to spare at the gate for Ercan! so nice to be back!

Brinsley

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

What I do not understand is having purchased a non-changeable, non-flexible ticket the airline can 'ride rough shot' over their agreed commitment and contract. I would have no hesitation in taking out a small claims court summons against the airline and served on the Chairman (used to be £25) to appear in front of the Bench and defend him/herself unless having received adequate compensation.

Richard

Dickeymint

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Hi Maggie & Bernie, it will be our first time flying to Ercan via Turkey we were thinking of taking some blinds with us as extra baggage to go through as fragile do you know if this can be done and at what cost. Thanks Sue

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Hi Sue I know it can be done - I've brought half the contents of my house over as bagage! Not sure about them taking any notice of 'fragile' stickers though! I think the excess bagage charge is £8 per kilo but I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong. One tip is to maybe get hold of a golf bag and transport your blinds in that - CTA allow 1 golf bag (up to 10 kgs) on top of your normal allowance - not sure about Turkish Airlines if they same.

Nowhere in the rules does it mention that it has to contain golf clubs!

All the best

Maggie

Dickeymint

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Thanks Maggie thats good info we will try and sort, hope the weather is better than here thanks again Sue.

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

The weather is perfect! even nice enough to sit out at night now - my favourite time of day - sundowners with a nice glass of red!

Maggie

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.