North Cyprus Tourist Board - Looking at the possibility of moving to N.Cyprus some advice please
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Looking at the possibility of moving to N.Cyprus some advice please

Looking at the possibility of moving to N.Cyprus some advice please

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

raggie1

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 19:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Hi my mum and I are looking at the possibility of moving to North Cyprus in the near future mainly as the property is cheaper than the UK but can you tell me whether the cost of living is cheaper than UK in general please.

Thing is mum & dad are seperating and if they get divorced will have to sell the house and the only way we can afford another property seems to be abroad , but scaared of maaking a mistake so any advice is appreciated - estate agents etc.

dublinderm

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 19:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Hi raggie,

The general way of doing things would be to rent for the first year and only then consider buying.

Look at the other threads at the top of the page for things like agents, etc.

Good luck!

DD

Carndi

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Good advice from Dublinderm. Rent for a year and get to know other expats and learn all the in's and out's of buying property here.

Estate agents have a bad reputation here but there are some good ones. Solicitors have an even worse reputation and well deserved.

You can long term rent for around £300 to £400 a month.

the butler

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Hi raggie,

Good advice about renting for a year. You sound quite young, perhaps in your teens, if you and your mother need to work this could be a problem as you will need a work permit. Work permits are not easy to get although not impossible. I think you need to do a lot more research about living in Northern Cyprus before you make a definite decision. The majority of English people here, are retired with independant means and good pensions. There are exceptions of course and I am sure some of these will offer you advice.

The butlers wife

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 20:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Raggie

Moving to North Cyprus?

In a word -don't- !!!

jamestalbot

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Yes good advice rent for a year, that's what I did, get to know the TRNC and the ex pats here before you make your mind up, as regards a solicitor I can highly recommend Naomi Mehmet and co.

Good luck and I wish you all the best.

James

fosterscan

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

You really shouldnt need to ask other people, if you have spent any time there you will know if you want to live there or not.You cant just buy in any other country just because it 'cheaper' to buy its harder to sell if you change your mind.You need to rent where ever you choose to live to make sure its really what you want.

scruff

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Looking at your profile (age) & reading your question. I'd say you're definitely not going to find it cheaper to live her here than in the UK. The only things that are cheaper here now, is the cost of housing & council tax. Nearly everything else is the same or dearer. Especially electricity. You will either need to work or have an income or pensions of at least £1000 per month to keep 2 people. It's not somewhere to live on the breadline anymore.

As others have said, getting a job is difficult, it is likely to be poorly paid & you either need a work permit (employer has to provide this in order for you to work legally). Working illegally is not recommended.

You need to do a lot more research. No NHS or Social Security benefits here either.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

msg 1:

Please, please, remove the 'rose tinted spectacles' and seriously heed the advice given - it is all sound, I assure you.

South Cyprus will be far too expensive - don't even consider it!

Simply buying a 'cheap' house/apartment should not be your only consideration - in your case, regrettably, I'm afraid I must be honest and tell you that the 'negatives' far outweigh the 'positives'.

I suggest you re-read (several times) all the information/advice, from the start of this topic to the last, before rushing in on your mere whim.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Tahiti is the place and on a UK/EU passport there is no problems as they are part of the Dom-Toms.

Richard

mikki09

Message Posted:
11/05/2010 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

I would say make sure you do alot of research before you move to the North. We moved there biggest mistake we made. We moved over to the South and its the best thing we ever did.

As far as to expensive here I don't beleive it is, I found it more expensive in the North.

But you need to look into these things for yourself visit and stay to find out what it is like on either side or where ever you decide to move to.

Good Luck

littlejohn

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 01:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Contrary to message 11 the South is dearer and less pleasant but I would advise you not to move to either and not just for financial reasons.

And if you need to work- definitely not.

Consider moving farther north in UK !!

Property is much cheaper !

nurseawful

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 05:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Also you need to consider the fact that you have to pay for Healthcare! No NHS here.

Chris

Groucho

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 07:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

What a miserable bunch!

We've lived here for nigh-on 5 years now and do not regret it. There are many things we would do differently if we were doing it again... the trick is to find out what these things are and make sure you take the best possible route to your ideal situation.

Definitely rent to start with, then you can change your mind.

Work is a problem, if you need to earn a living, investigate how you might do that here as the powers that be are very protectionist. Some would say rightly so! They moan about immigrant workers in the UK but don't see the irony of working here....

Do not swallow the line being touted by Estate Agents, they are in business purely to make money and will act like your best friend whilst they think there is money in it.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 07:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Groucho,

I don't think it is a case of 'being a miserable bunch' but if thinking of moving here there is no good coming in with rose tinted spectacles. The earlier post are just telling it like it is.

We have been here 6 years and love it warts and all but you have to admit it is not for everybody!

Many have had to go back because of their financial status and the growing cost of schools etc.

Chris

mikki09

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Message 12 just the opposite it is not expensive and is certainly pleasant.

Message 15 has said it all. People are telling this young girl their experiences and where ever you go it is not always for everybody.

Tina100

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 09:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

i have been living here for 7 years now and love it. i moved here when i was 16 and have been working here on a work permit for that amount of time.

if you need any help with anything infomation about houses please contact me on kormanhomes@kormancons.com

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 09:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

So many young (Northern European) girls fall for the 'Spanish Waiter' syndrome, fall in 'love' with a Cypriot.......99% it ends in disaster. I've only lived in Cyprus 28 years, 23 of those in the South, and I could relate enough heartbreak and horror stories to fill a book of 'biblical' proportions.

The problem is simply due to the wide disparity of cultures - in the case of Cyprus, in the South, the Greek Orthodox upbringing, and in the North, the Muslim.

A young girl, e.g. English, will be relentlessly pursued by local lads (North or South). There are very few English lads of their own age, due to Cyprus being mainly a retirement and package holiday destination.

Cypriots are very class-conscious when it comes to marriage - believe it, or not, there are still a great number of arranged marriages, and this is for a reason - to merge wealth, be it land, property, or money.

Foreign girls are often still regarded as 'whores', even though times are slowly changing.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Cont'd:

The British Bases used to put out a booklet on this very subject, which was issued to all service family personnel, who had teenage daughters.

I remember seeing and reading this book - there was a full page picture of a Cypriot road-sweeper, or janitor, with his little cart, brooms and shovel - the caption read something like: 'This is all you are most likely to get!'

And, generally, that is true; you'll only find (or, more likely, he'll find you!) the impoverished, or lower end of the Cypriot social order.

Sorry to be brutal - but at least I'm being totally honest.

No doubt, I'll be 'attacked' on this forum by some of the very few that have had a successful marriage to a Cypriot - but they're certainly few and far between - you'd better believe it!

henrik

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

no way. arranged marriages in north cyprus? maybe in the settlers villages and in the 80s but not today.. south, I dont know.. There are also many mariages between TC male and foreigner female. more than in turkey I would suggest. TC males are quite in a search for foreigners - but not only to see them as whores.: I know quite well as I live inbetween them.. And for the point of seperation or divorcing, I think its a common problem, not only TC males and foreigner females. It can go good, or bad.. in every culture, with any culture. So, I dont see any problems.

For the living in TRNC: Depending on you capabilties and finances TRNC is good. Property is not so cheap - and if - its mostly not turkish owned land - which would make you worry about future posseison charges and legal owner cases. If you have limited finances and just want a relax living with the money, then there are much cheaper countries to go to.. Agypt, Haiti, Costa Rica.. etc etc.. Living cost in TRNC nearly equals UK.

scruff

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

One or two of the posters seem to have decided that raggie1 is a "young girl".

Her profile shows her to be a single woman aged 43. She talks about her mother & both of them moving to TRNC together. Her mother may have a pension of some sort, but the original questioner is employed in the UK. & presumably will need to work here.

Clearly money is tight & the main reason for the move seems to be because property is cheaper (maybe) & the cost of living is lower (only marginally).

Unless you run a successful business here (plenty of Capital required), incomes are much lower.

So in raggie1's case, the TRNC as a place to live, seems a non starter to me!!

It's interesting too that the original questioner has not been back to comment?

raggie1

Message Posted:
12/05/2010 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for all of the advice - have taken it all on board. Really is appreciated

littlejohn

Message Posted:
13/05/2010 01:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Message 18&19 - correct!!

Unfortunately, in the late 60s many Brit service mens wives fell for the "charms" of the mainly greek cypriots and were sent back to uk as a result.

Unfortunately this led the greeks to believe that all brit women were "easy"and caused many problems.

I don't suppose much has changed but the fact is we make fools of ourselves when abroad and I suppose it's hardly surprising that the locals sometimes take advantage.

Have to say the turks have never given me cause for concern in this regard - but I'm sure there are exceptions and brit expats who will keep us informed.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
13/05/2010 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Thank you for your thoughtful corroboration, 'littlejohn'!

From my own observations, coupled with plenty of information, both South & North, foreign girls/women are extensively targeted for sex/and/or money!

The 'Blue Rinse Brigade' are particularly vulnerable.

And why?

Because a rotten, slut/slapper, reputation (deservedly) precedes them!

Unfortunately, Cypriots lump all foreign females in the same category - fair game!

And who can blame the Cypriots?

Only a fool!

honestie

Message Posted:
13/05/2010 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

everyone in this life be it living in UK TRNC bla bla bla has a choice as to how they conduct themselves be if male or female. Yes females can be vulnerable to the charms of any man and yes sometimes we make mistakes leaving our brains elsewhere at times but please dont insult all us females. It could be that the men of whatever nationality culture/are far more than fair game . You only have to go to Thailand to see the blue rinsed men brigade with the gorgeous thai girls who of course love the man!!!

How this thread got to a discussion about us women and the attractions of the lower social class as you put it I dont know but if that lower social class has respect for themself others and the person they are with I can assure you that gives them 10 out of 10 which is more than I can say for some obnoxious so called coultered male.

So Raggie 1, rent first, find out if you like and can adapt to the lifestyle and legislation etc and make your own decsion and keep your wits

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.