North Cyprus Tourist Board - Thieves in Lapta
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Thieves in Lapta

Thieves in Lapta

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Lapta town

Unhappy Buyer

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Hi all, I'm fairly new to this bulletin board and I don't usually post, I just glean some really useful info from others. However, I think the following may be of interest to Lapta residents.

After more than 5 years of waiting and begging and several thousand more £'s we finally have a house we can stay in, so we started furnishing it. We had a green plastic table and chairs outside with sun brolly for approximately 3 weeks and these have now been stolen from our garden. Our TC neighbours caught them before they loaded the sunbeds as well, they chased them and got a partial registration of the van and the police have been informed.

We were just starting to think positive thoughts about our house in the sun after 5 years of hassle, but now I'm so disappointed - what's the point if you can't leave garden furniture in the garden without it being stolen? Is this normal now, do we have to lock everything away when we go out? Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Nunu1

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Dear Unhappy Buyer, Unfortunately everywhere in the World there are theives!

As I understand it, TRNC is virtually crime free apart from the odd crimes reported but generally it is safe. I would say you had opportunist thieves who saw something they wanted and tried to grab it! Glad they did not succeed and well done to your neighbor!

You just have to be a bit more security conscious minded.

Relax dont worry....Cyprus is still safer than the UK by far.

nunu1

chrisnay

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Thats a shame, where abouts in Lapta are you, as we too have a house there, and have in the past left the garden furniture out.

Chris

Unhappy Buyer

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 15:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Nunu - they did succeed in fact, they got the table, 6 chairs and brolly. What they didn't get is the 2 sunbeds.

Chris - we are on the sea side of Lapta a very roughly a few hundred yards past the Sempati. And yes as far as I can see it's normal to leave the garden furniture out, so it probably was just opportunists, but it leaves a very bad taste And it's yet another negative experience of this place that used to be so welcoming and friendly and crime free. The negatives are starting to outweigh the positives in my book. Just MY opinion and MY experience.

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Unhappy Buyer

I am sad and shocked!

I have lived in Lapta for past 5 years and we've never had anything nicked although I do know of several houses near us that haven't been so lucky.

As you said probaly just opportunists, but that doesnt make you feel any better i'm sure.

Cyprus is still safer in the UK and whenever I have heard of a crime 99.9% of the time the culprits are caught.

PtePike

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

authenticchoccie,

Maybe your sunloungers weren't worth nicking. ONLY MESSING!

spook

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Not only happening in Lapta,two of my neighbours in Karsiyaka have had break in!s, one having a large ammount of cash stolen,both my neighbour and myself have had our solar lights stolen from the garden

If not already fitted it may be a good idea to change the patio door and window handles to the type which are fitted with locks.

There is a large double glazing factory about 1/2 mile on the left if you turn up the road opposite the Mambo Bar (cant remember the signs as to where it leads to) you should be able to get them there,best to remove one of your excisting handles as a sample to show them what you want.

Personelly i think that this is a very worring trend

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

It is probably one of those now unemployed UK "taxi drivers" who has had to resort to other means of income after being uncovered on this HOT BB.

Unhappy Buyer

Message Posted:
08/07/2008 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Spook, were any of the thieves you have mentioned caught by the police? It would be nice to think that authentichoccie is right when he/she says 99.9% of the culprits are caught....but I think that may be an optimistic viewpoint!

Nunu1

Message Posted:
09/07/2008 02:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Unhappy Buyer, My apologies, Im sorry I realised after and read your post again that the theives did get away with some of the items...........I dont want to alarm you but they may atempt to get the rest of the set.... Im not a Criminal! I have friends in the UK Police force and they advise of the common trends of crime.

Just make it difficult for them as much as possible (Thieves)

Take care and sleep well..

Best wishes

nunu

spook

Message Posted:
09/07/2008 07:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

As far as i am awarw no

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
09/07/2008 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

pike

you are probably right!

Or it could be that my 2 dogs and 4 kids put any one off trying to come in the gate!!!!

Aslan

Message Posted:
09/07/2008 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

It's a crying shame that this happens over here, but unfortunately as the population increases so will crime related incidents, I think it is at present quite easy for the police to point the finger at the gypsies that this government have allowed and invited to squat in peoples ruins, however while this is the case then obviously other nationals may find theiving easier to get away with.

jakki

Message Posted:
09/07/2008 12:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Hi - I'm sorry to change the subject a bit - but on the question of theft etc., can anybody then recommend an insurance company in TRNC, we aim to complete on our villa in September, it is quite remote and the thought of roaming burglars worries me. What is the usual premium for building and contents. Thanks - Jackie

paul90

Message Posted:
09/07/2008 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Jakki

Before I left Karsiyaka at end June I phoned Steve Dickinson (BA Hons) - a broker.

He came out, examined the villa (structure etc), pool and contents.

Gave us a quote which was better than others - he gives an accurate figure for any possible rebuild due to fire, earthquake etc.

You can contact him on 0542 873 1231 or stevedickinson@superonline.com

jakki

Message Posted:
09/07/2008 12:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Thanks Paul - We'll definitely call Steve when we are next over or in the meantime might send him an e-mail. Jackie

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.