North Cyprus Tourist Board - North Cyprus -absolute beginner should we stay or go
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > North Cyprus -absolute beginner should we stay or go

North Cyprus -absolute beginner should we stay or go

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

scrambler

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Cyprus 44 is our life line on this one. Have been watching out for holiday/retirement home in Spain,France,Italy etc past few years, were in N.Cyprus recently found Villa we liked and are currently proceeding with purchase. Have appointed Advocate which has good reputation as per Cyprus 44.Have been keeping eye on Home Buyers pressure group etc and the more info we`re receiving the more confused we`re getting. Is this a good time to purchase or is there ever a right time to purchase there? Advocate has been extremely helpful and informative, is it ok to believe all? Have found v heplful similar posts on this but non of recent times.(Appologies if ive missed some)

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

As long as this is a resale, you have made the right move to buy at this time. There are bargains to be had. Beware of the fine print and legal situation regarding anything you buy.

johnnybgoode

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 15:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

as long as you've done your homework on the property, and the area, and your HAPPY, then STAY, but if your having second thoughts, then don't proced any further, only you can make the right choice to stay or go.

the butler

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Scrambler,

Please buy a villa or apartment that is already built and has all services connected. Electric, sewage and roads in place. If buying on a complex, make sure you understand about the maintenance charges and the management company who run the site. What kind of increases are expected in the coming years. Find a good independant lawyer, do not use the one recommended by the estate agent or seller. If possible buy a resale where the owners already have title deeds to the property. If you follow all of these suggestions, you should be OK.

The butlers wife

scrambler

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 16:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Villa fully completed at Arapkoy, kibris Insaat, any one fimiliar with this area?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

I live in Kibris Insaat, Arapkoy good houses and no problems.

Smity

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Scrambler

We bought a resale 2 years ago, you can see what your gettingand our advocate was brilliant, couln.t have been easier.

We still keep in touch with the sellers and have become friends

Look out for a home on a complex that has service charges that all tennants must pay, some will not pay and the shortfall is usualy added to those that do pay.

Good luck and welcome ( hopefully ) to TRNC

Marisa

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 17:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Kibris Insaat as I heard is a good company.

Not keen on Arapkoy , especially where the Chealsey village is.

vincent1

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 18:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Scrambler.

Dee for a neighbour...... what more could you want !

Good luck to you.

Vincent.

Chelpet

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

We bought a resale, although not strickly true as our villa had been built as complex of 7 and the TC who oringinally owned the land had 2 villas built for himself one he uses, and one to sell, although he did wait for 3 three years until we bought at lot lower price than he was oringinally asking for, unfortunately I suffer from a great lack of imagination so therefore buying off plan was totally out of the question, we had no problems with the advocate although they have been slated off on the forum, we remain good friends with the seller (useful as he is a butcher and we get lovely fresh meat) no other problems apart from the usual agravating little niggles of poor quality materials used, and minor damp hiccups but nothing major, we are more than happy, I will add this this is a holiday home and we will use it up to about 5 months year.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 20:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Don't buy - Rent!!!!!

daffodils

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 21:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

What happens if nobody buys and everybody rents? all this advice about rent first etc; etc; somebody has to be brave enough to buy so others can rent...so does the market dry up eventually? Don't buy off-plan...so no new houses either...great advice. People here who rent detached villas with private pools for £350-£400 per month are as nutty as fruit cakes !! Have they ever wondered how much their tenants are renting their probably inferior houses in the Uk out for? This place needs investment not re-cycling !!

wynyardman

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

GO!

wyn

Jimmyboy63

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

In my opinion NC is the best and cheapest place to buy and live in the med.

I know a lot of people have been unlucky and possibly ripped off by builders , myself included to a small extent compared to others but i have totally no regrets to buying here, in the long term i think it is an excellent investment and what a lovely place to live or use as a holiday home.

If you want to come here to earn a living then it is very difficult but if you come here and you have enough money or a decent pension where better to live

The problem with a lot of people here is that the value of there property has not increased in the last 4 yrs so they do not have the feel good factor but for me buying property is a long term investment and I hope the market picks up in the coming years and if it doesn't then its ok I still have a nice place in NC

SidsPinkFloyd

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Jimmyboy

The value of most property almost anywhere in the last 4 years has not increased in value. This is not confined to North Cyprus.

SPF.

rowlo

Message Posted:
19/05/2010 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

we have a place in arapkoy , cant fault it 15 mins from anywhere you wanna be , 30 mins ercan , enjoy .

Jimmyboy63

Message Posted:
20/05/2010 05:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

Mess 15 I agree with you about the world wide stagnent property market thats why with the lowest prices on the med NC has got to be a good long term investment

scrambler

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 05:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Thanks all;

Info greatly appreciated,

Going to bite the bullet and go ahead with purchase, but before doing so we are going to check out

West Kyrenia area again - next week (so any one out there with 3-4 bed Resale villa looking for quick sale) Have been in touch with most Estate Agents, did have some private numbers scribbled down, however all were lost in our travels.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Daffodils

I have to disagree with you. I can think of no better advice than renting before you buy. Too many people come here with rose tinted spectacles and the memory of their 2 week holiday in 'paradise'. A holiday is vastly different to living here full time. It would appear to make sense to rent for a few months to ensure that this is really the place that you want to live and gives you the opportunity to experience all of NC's little foibles, both good and bad. I have rented for nearly 2 years, my rent is less than I receive as rent on my property in the UK and the money that I would have invested in a villa is earning me a nice few quid in a savings account. I am extremely happy with my choice.

As for describing properties in the UK as being inferior to those built out here, my house in the UK has a damp course, is insulated and I have the deeds for it. A bit different to the majority of homes out here i would suggest.

Paul

bazilbrush

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Buy in the uk you can get some good deals there now and a low interest rate. Rent it out and then rent here and sleep at night. If nobody bought here now for a few years, there would still be too many villas available. If the government were to speed up the process of getting PTP they would have millions in the bank instead of being broke.

daffodils

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Paul,

Why are you still renting after nearly 2 years? It's a good job that for you that some people are still buying,otherwise there would be a shortage of properties to rent, which is exactly the point I was trying to make. There have been many mistakes here and many unscrupulous people and it is like negotiating a minefield but people are more aware and can check things out, which is why they are asking for good sound advice. They can be in charge of their own destiny, I think you sound a little bit smug but if things change here (and most of the sceptics will say never!!!) you could yourself left out in the cold, so to speak, so please let people make up their own mind. renting is not the safe option, you are never in charge of your own destiny, the OWNER of your house is .!!! (whether they have kocan or no kocan!!!)

basheer

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 09:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

yep dont buy first rent instead until you find your dream home and then ready built and vat paid and you will love it here as I do which is lapta and close to town and lovely restaurants and beaches and the local brits are friendly so are the locals and loads of shops and super markets need I say more

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

stay the baboos are on the backfoot and sinking fast

Wiser

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

We have some lovely properties on our books and one 3 bed that has just come on the market which is lovely but I have not had a chance to write it up yet, it was build by Fikri Terkan (also good established builders) and the current owners have their deeds so no tax to pay and everything in place including well! If you would like any photos or info sent please email me on lydia@wisepropertycyprus.com and I will do my best to help you. Best regards Lydia

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Daffodils

The reason that I am renting is precisely for the reasons in my previous post - economically it makes a lot of sense and it also allows me the freedom to depart NC at a time of my choosing without the baggage of having to try and sell a villa in a market that is depressed to say the least. I also do not see NC as my home for the rest of my life so don't wish to invest in property here.

Apologies if my post came across as being smug - it was not my intention. But I still stand by my advice. You will also note from my initial post, that I am not against buying, I just suggested renting BEFORE you buy.

As for renting not being safe. I beg to differ. As long as you have a decent contract then you shouldn't have any problems - I wish I could say the same about buying a property here!! That said, even if my landlord was to cancel my contract tomorrow, I am pretty certain that I could find another villa to rent in a very short time.

Regards

Paul

cypgab

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Surely part of the Cyprus living is doing things about the house and gardening. Yes, certainly rent before buying, but not for too long?

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Cypgab

How long is too long ?? It is down to individual choice. I would advise that people rent for as long as they feel necessary or at least until they are happy with any potential house purchase. Moving to NC is totally different to moving to a new home/city in the UK. It is a totally different culture and people should not base its' suitability on the basis of a short stay and be seduced by the sunshine and attraction of a 'cheap' property - there is an awful lot more to living here. Rent for a year and be absolutely certain that this is where you want to be before sinking your life savings into a property. There are too many sad stories of people buying here having only previously visited on holiday who then find a few months later that it is not what they really expected. I am not against buying, just trying to stress the importance of not making hasty decisions which you might regret later.

Paul

Paul

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.