North Cyprus Tourist Board - any advice for a newcomer to cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > any advice for a newcomer to cyprus

any advice for a newcomer to cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

wormy

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 19:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Hi all, only joined because my grandad phoned to say he was moving to cyprus on Wednesday. well, not exactly moving, but going to look at a place to live. It's a place called bogaz, near to iskele and Famagusta. He mentioned busy bee. I think they are the estate agents. does anybody know anything about these places and people. My grandad is German but speaks perfect English, plus one or two other languages.

Amy

the butler

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Amy,

Northern Cyprus is a lovely place to live and your Grandad is going to have a great life. Bogaz is a quiet place with a small fishing harbour with some restaurants. Famagusta is not to far away and it has shops and bars, cafes and lots to do and see. Kyrenia is on the north coast and is about an hours drive from Bogaz. I think there are more British people living there. It is very green and picturesque as the mountains and forests are much closer to the sea. I have a house on this coast at Esentepe and I just love it there. I am sure your Grandad will find somewhere fantastic to live but tell him not to rush into anything, to take his time and have a good look round before deciding to buy.

The butlers wife

basheer

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

yep rent first I live in Lapta 20 mins from Kyrenia,loads of restaurants,and not far from town so you never get bored, and the airport is only one hr away,

spider

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

My advice would be for him to rent first,and find his footings,about whats what..and my next advice would be for him to live as he would back home and not turn it into one long holiday,drinking his money away from day to day..Good luck to him..

Spider,X

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Good sound advice from last 3 postings, we find it a wonderful place to live, yes rent first and take your time, If you do things right the cost of living is very good.

Good Luck

HildySmith

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

All good advice. I am a pensioner and I have recently moved here. As far as rent first, I agree with that but I would say - rent and keep his money in the bank. He can rent here at a much cheaper rate and still have a good home. If he is not happy there he can move on, until he finds somewhere that suits him. But he will love it here and will find that he will make friends easy.

Good luck to him.

Pipie

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Just enjoy it . Fab place . Locals are great . WONDERFUL PLACE !!

jamestalbot

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Northern Cyprus is a great place, good luck.

James

halffull

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 21:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Can beat living here but he must remember there is no hurry Yavas Yavas (Slowly, slowly) He has to go at their pace and not get frustrated. Agree with all the other posts rent and see before committing. Rent and save is best, although we bought. :=)

DONTY

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

You might want to research 'Hilltop, Bogaz' development by Medview as this is the site that Busy Bees will probably try to sell him.

Tell him to visit more than one Estate Agent to get differing views and a good look at various developments before he makes a decision as some agents have their own favourites for one reason or another.

rowlo

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

whatever he decides ,he want find a better place in the med , good luck and all the best to him .

Smity

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Enjoy TRNC its great if a laid back life style is what you seek

Good luck

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

you are a lovely caring grandchild and want the best heed the advice giiven but he will choose his own path, destinty will prevail xxxxx

Hector

Message Posted:
24/05/2010 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Hope he has done his homework on the TRNC property problems.

basheer

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 09:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

speak to Mustafer at Unwins to show you around without committment or pressure

wormy

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

basher, him and his partner are getting picked up at Larnaca and staying in a villa owned by the estate agent. He is also looking at a place in Lapta before he comes back to UK.

He wants to drive his 4wd colorado over but its about 13 years old and he's been told he can't import it, due to age. The estate agent said he can keep it there for 12 months then take it over the border and sell it. I know it will hurt him to part with it, is there any way he can keep it there.

Amy

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Dont think its worth bringing a car over with the hassle and the costs involved, May be some one who has actually done this will comment, but 99 % of people I know who have done have said it can be a bit of a nightmare.

Advice , do not be pressured by any agents, far better as most people of said , rent here for a few months, get to know the place,

You can always pick up a bargain direct from the seller. Very often furnished.

I beleive if it as been owned by him for the last 5 years then yes he can bring it, and register it,

scootex

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 16:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Amy I wouldn't listen to the estate agent on that one. I he has owned it from new he can import it ok I did with a 15 year old motorbike ,but as for taking it over the border ansd selling it I don't think so beside which it would not be worth much on the greek side but good luck

natnatallie44

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 16:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Hey wormy,

BOgaz is perfect place i am sure you will be ok, everyone is helpfull in northern cyprus .

Bogaz area have perfect seas, also near to famagusta i am sure will enjoy.

xxgood luck

alanka

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 03:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

I love Bogaz, I don't know why. I love all the people I have met there. I love watching the lightening storm over the bay, I love watching the clouds drifting over, I love the wild flowers in spring.

I love (not) the power cuts - they do warn you - they tell you when the power cut is coming - unfortunately they are usually a day or two out....

I love Ruth at Ye Old Barn, I love Appo and Duwan at Hilltop Bar (because they will never try and cheat you on prices) and I love Alie (? spelling) Arsenal because he is a fabulous guy as is his wife and will help you out on anything - just because they are nice people. Too many nice people to mention. I don't live there permanently (it's something I would consider, but have too many family I would leave behind) but love my brief visits there, I do as many as I can.

The water shortage, like the power cuts, not a problem, make me appreciate what I take for granted a bit more.

gazmufc78

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

My advice is to rent and not buy, at least for a couple of years. This in my opinion is the best advice you can give!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 09:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

wormy/Msg 16:

'Sprat to catch a Mackeral' springs to mind!

How old is grandad?

If he has capital enough to buy a property, that cash would take him on annual world trips on the QEII, probably for the rest of his 'natural'!

Easy to buy property in Cyprus!

Remember - when selling, only expect to recoup what the next buyer is prepared to write the cheque for, and be prepared to lose the 'shortfall' with a smile!

wormy

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

msg 22, he's 66 his year. He wants to bring his car then he can load it with things he doesn't want to leave behind. I think he's had it for about 6 years. Don't think he's like a cruise for the rest of his "natural" Most of the latter years of his working life was spent as a P & O chef.

waddo

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Rent first. Check with customs on the issue over the car - the laws change so fast that only they might know. Last time I asked you could not take a car to the South and sell it unless you entered the South by a recognised port and as the TRNC is not recognised by anyone apart from Turkey, driving it over the green line will not count as an importation point. The estate agents should know that very well!

There is another information site like this one (C44) that deals with Bogaz, maybe a quick google around will turn it up for you as I have lost the URL for it. Good luck.

bavers

Message Posted:
01/06/2010 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Hi all, i am currently living in the south and to be honest i dont like what i am hearing..and seeing, came here two months ago and decided to locate in Pafos. i find the people cold and empty{ inc brits] and everyone seems to want to take you for a ride, i have beeen ripped of with rent and deposits in a anything goes,no contract society , things are taking there toll. i came here to do a 'recce' to try 2 make a go living here.

i have been reading up on TCNC and things there seem 100% better ...although i still refuse to where the rose tinted glasses. its almost impossible to find work here [ pafos] and my industry has been in removals and logistics..would be nice to get some positive feedback, as i intend to 'cross over' when my next months tenantcy expires on July 8th 2010.

A. is there any work of this nature that i could possibly work for a company?

B. Can anyone advise on shipping costs for a half a van load of effects and my 2001 susuki motorcycle?

C. buy van in uk

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.