North Cyprus Tourist Board - Car- Jaguar XJ6 problems- can anyone help?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Car- Jaguar XJ6 problems- can anyone help?

Car- Jaguar XJ6 problems- can anyone help?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

cyprusharv

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Hi,

My friend has a '76 Jaguar XJ6 and has a problem with it firing up and running on all 6 cylinders.

If anyone knows these cars and has done work on them in the past it would be great to know.

The car is in Karalanaoglu.

Tel 0533 8456019 (thank you in advance)

Blackbird

Message Posted:
25/05/2010 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Usually problems like this are electrical. Plugs may need replacing if they haven't been changed for a while.

Run the engine in the dark, and look at the plug leads, if there is any sign of arcing they will need replacing.

Check the distributor cap for any cracks or signs of arcing, also while you are in there have a look at the rotor arm.

I cant remember if this car would still have points and a condenser, but whist the distributor cap is off you will be able to see. If it has got points they may be pitted and will need replacing. Or better still replace them with electronic ignition.

Hope this helps..

Peter

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 00:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Hiya,

I have a jag, and have a cypriot man that repairs it for me, call me on 0533 839 9122, and I'll put you in touch with him. He works in the south and can get Jag parts.

eboy665

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 00:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Hi a lot of early jags suffered from water in the fuel tanks due to blocked drain pipes by the fuel filler necks .this can cause poor starting and bad idleing , i know it is normally hot over there but have herd you get heavy rainfall over winter. have repaired a few that have had over a gallon of water in the tank it usually wrecks the fuel pump causin low fuel pressure and fuel starvation . If your elecrical system is ok this may be something worth considering regards eboy

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 07:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Also, the HT leads may have deteriorated. On older cars they have often lost a lot of ability to transmit a powerful enough charge to create a hot spark... i.e. the resistance increase in the lead means the car runs rough, conks out when idling and refuse to start easily often missing a cylinder. Sound familiar?

Loss of fuel to mileage performance is also a symptom of this problem... I was told by a car tuner that the fashionable carbon cables of the 70's were particularly prone to this problem. Fitted new copper core leads and it was like have a new car... mileage right back up new car rates and no rough running.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 07:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Don't let anyone mess around altering the twin carburettors' needle jet setttings until you have ascertained that the problem(s) are not electrical, or water in fuel tank. In Cyprus, condensation will form in the tank unless you keep the fuel tank fairly full.

cyprusharv

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Thank you all very much for your advice, I have passed the info on to my friend who I'm sure now can't wait to get stuck in.

I'll let you all know the outcome.

Bogie

Message Posted:
26/05/2010 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Hi, if all this advice fails go to Toros Opel Plaza at the main roundabout in Nicosia at the end of the Kyrenia/Nicosia dual carriage way. Go and see the service manager who's name is Emre. He is a UK trained jaguar service engineer. Tell him Chris says Hi!! Good luck.

cyprusharv

Message Posted:
01/06/2010 08:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Hello and thanks to all that have replied to the above query.

It seemed the problem was a combination of carboned up plugs and carbs out of sync. Changed the plugs for new (again) and set the carbs to open up at the same time and hey presto! I know it wasnt rocket science but thanks again all and especially Tony who came down to help.

Tony, you are a star!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.