North Cyprus Tourist Board - Surgeon's 5-year Son Dies in Locked Car in Larnaca
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Surgeon's 5-year Son Dies in Locked Car in Larnaca

Surgeon's 5-year Son Dies in Locked Car in Larnaca

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

swannee7

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

This really has to be one of the most horrific 'accident' stories I've come across. It happened just 2 days ago in Larnaca, in south Cyprus.

'A 5-year old boy has died in Cyprus after being left for 8 hours in a car locked by his father, a doctor, who had been answering an emergency call. The 40-year old surgeon was taking his son to a nursery in Larnaca on Tuesday when he was diverted to a private clinic. He found his son unconscious with an empty water bottle hours later, when his wife called after going to collect the boy from the nursery. Colleagues from the clinic could not revive the little boy. Temperatures in Cyprus have reached 37C this week. '

All I can say is, it must have been one hell of an emergency to occupy the surgeon's full attention for nearly 8 hours. That, and most likely he didn't take his son to school on a regular basis. Error of omission takes on a new meaning. Saving another life (possibly) at the expense of his own son's life.

everon

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

horrific and shameful, why on earth did he not check on him, 8hrs??????????????

jamestalbot

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

How tragic, what was he thinking about leaving his son in a locked car in the temperatures we get here, my heart goes out to his wife and to him, he may have been has message 1 says ( saving another life) at the expense of his own son's.

spider

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

How terrible for all the family what a horrific thing to have happened...

Spider,X

magalan

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

And there are still people here in TRNC who go visiting and leave their dog locked in the car..........................

NanaJan

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 18:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

What a tragedy for the family.

The same thing happened in the UK this year when a lady who did not usually take her baby to the nursery was required to do so because her husband was away. She put the baby in the car seat and when she was on the road forgot to take her daughter to nursery because she had fallen asleep and was quiet. The mother who was a teacher went into school and around lunch time a caretaker found the child in the car. The baby also died and the mother was distraught. How could you ever forgive yourself?

Let us hope we never read of this sort of tragedy again.

sienna

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 18:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

urmmmm fogot you had you left you child in the car well they both have to live with that forgetfulness for the rest of their lives tragic

SaraP

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 18:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

The surgeon could obviously do with another surgeon to operate on his brain.To leave a child of 5 years old for even 5 minutes on his own is just not the right thing to do.I hope the parent feels bad for the rest of his life as that is simply neglect on his part! It seems that in this country by what I have seen is that all too often under age children are left alone at home. Okay that happens in the UK too but at least they try their hardest to protect neglected or abused chlldren.

phylray

Message Posted:
03/06/2010 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

When I was working in U.A.E. one of our teachers, Lebanese, left her young baby in a car

and she died. As usual, she put the blame on the maid. We had been to her house for the

celebration of that beautiful baby and I just cannot understand how anyone can be so mindless.

I hope this surgeon is charged with manslaughter. He should be.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 05:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

How deeply sad - three victims, the lost child, the partner who could never forgive the other for forgetting they were a parent, and the person who forgot they had a child - let alone the grandparents and other relatives....so much misery - what would imprisoning them achieve? they will surely be in their own hell as long as they live.......every day remembering their little one dying in agony because they simply forgot they existed........

Lilli

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

HOW Terribly sad, this family will have to live with this tradgy for the rest of thier lives, but to leave a child helpless is beyond belief xx

Aysesdaddy

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Its hard to imagine that he could have left the child so long. Surely when the emergency call came through there was someone who could have watched the him. It also seems strange that nobody noticed him in the car all that time, a five year old would not have sat quietly for hours on end. A tragic case.

smithy

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Tragic is not the word for this poor little mite, I dont care about his excuse he should be put through the same terrible trauma as the little baby went through even slower, how sad,

I agree with message 12 how come no one noticed a little boy especially a 5 year old who usually would not be able to sit still for very long in a car, this made me so sad

sheila

swannee7

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Apart from all that's been said on this thread, I'm also surprised that a 5 y.old child didn't think of beeping the horn, at least for as long as he could, before losing consciousness. The instinct for survival in humans is so strong apparently, that even a toddler's brain works overtime. I'm sure the mother will never, ever forgive her husband nor he, himself. What a horror story.

mollycorbin

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

“Don't wait for the last judgment - it takes place every day.” Albert Camus

especially on this forum

swannee7

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Final update on this story from newspaper reports.

An autopsy on the boy ruled out heatstroke or suffocation as the cause of death, but found the child had a heart defect. No charges have been filed.

(BTW, the father is an eminent Orthopaedic surgeon apparently).

littlejohn

Message Posted:
06/06/2010 02:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Good to see the good old daily mail/sun reader brit "hindsight" mentality in operation as usual - as with the police handling of the Whitehaven incident. I suppose you think the poor chap should face a murder charge.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.