North Cyprus Tourist Board - Sunnylane Secondary School
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Sunnylane Secondary School

Sunnylane Secondary School

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

pupaden

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Hi

Could anyone please give me information on Sunnylanes secondary school.

Thank you

Pupaden

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

You really need to go along to the school and find everything out for yourself. You could also do a search on this site, as you will see it has been discussed many times.

Vidal

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

My Son is very happy there.

Super exam results last year.

If I were you I'd ring them 0392 821 2011 arrange a visit for you and your son/daughter. Talk to the staff and kids and see for yourself.

pupaden

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 12:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

I do plan on going to the school but as you know all private schools will just tell you what you want to hear they are not going to give you a true honest answer they are interested on the money where as I am interested on my childs education I just want some honest opinions from parents who have children in the secondary or have taken them out because they were not happy.

onestop

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 13:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Pupaden, check your own posting below ( May 2008) and you will have all the info you need.....

"I moved over here 18 months ago and chose to put my daughter into sunnylane it to me was a lovely, careing school a sort of close family feeling, the children and their education seemed to be the most important thing to sl but boy has it changed, gone have the days where the child is important all they think about now is money money money how much more can we squeeze out of the parents.If I kept my daughter there it would cost me just under a thousand pounds more than last year which now includes £360 you have to pay to use the bus. They said last year each class would have an english and a turkish teacher that lasted about a week. There is no communication between the school and the parents you have to be a mind reader to know whats going on, they cant organize a good time in a brewrey. They have said in a letter that the fees must go up and there will be several rises in the coming year"

pupaden

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 13:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Onestop thank you for telling me what I know I have already posted and as you can see that was in 2008 where my child was in primary I took my child out because I was not happy with the way it was going and a lot of water has passed under the bridge I am asking a specific question about the secondary part which I have no knowledge about

Vidal

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 13:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Oh Dear..how sad is that!

girne

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

As said before Money is all they think about took my 2boys out and to tell you the truth is was the best thing l did.

They now go to Lapta Yavuzlar where they also do Lessons in English. There are surprisingly alot of English children there mostly from Sunnly Lane so your chıld will not be 'out of place' and the teachers have an understanding that the English childrens Turkish is not so good so they give them extra Turkish lessons during school. A lot of people are put off re the time the children come home but they have just the same amount of classes per day as your English schools just not the same 'PLAY' time.

Exams are done every 6 weeks to see what each has understood or is lacking.

Give the local schools a try, all the others are just init for the money

magolina

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

my grandchildren were taken out 18 months ago after many many problems they would not listen to reason just carried on doing the same old things even though they knew loads of parents upset. They have come on so much better and faster since leaving sunny lane.

robinhood

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

lots of teachers & children have left over past year or so at sunnylane, all because of the same reasons the people running the place just dont listen to the parents, just after your money.

ESK seems to have excellent teachers, and facilities & growing rapidly.. try there and they listen to the parents, it is a well run school.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

sorry guys disagree with you all

my 2 kids are doing superbly well and think Mark unwin is very easy to approach

yes fees go up but so does everything else electric food petrol etc.

At the end of the day they are a business.

go on stick your kids in other schools if you are unhappy but we as parents are not and proud to say my eldest will be doing his a levels there as they now have sixth form.

well done sunny lane keep up the good work.

ps soon to be the british acadamy

dont believe all the gossip you hear, several green eyed monsters around because of unwins success

pupaden

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Girne

Thank you for your post could you please tell me what lessons are in English, what age the school goes up to and where abouts in Lapta the school is.

Pupaden

HotHippo

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

We are going along for a visit next week, to discuss placing our younger (16 years old) son there. He is a citizen of Azerbaijan, and this would be his first experience of an English-speaking school. All that I can say, so far, is that our enquiries have been dealt with in a very professional and courteous manner, by all of the Sunny Lane staff we have had contact with.

If anyone has any experience of placing their children of a similar age into the local Turkish-speaking schools, I'd be very grateful to hear their opinions.

Isabella

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

I do not know anything about this school. I do know that my daughter attended a private school in the UK and by the time she left I would say the fees had increased signifcantly. Each year they increased - teachers salaries increased each year as did other costs in running a school. When budgeting to send a child to a private school yearly increases should be factored into the overall cost.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

well said isabella

fallenangel

Message Posted:
04/06/2010 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

I can only speak re the secondary school, and have found the teachers to be very dedicated. The small class sizes

(9 in my sons year) mean they all get plenty of attention and motivation. My son was able to take some IGCSE's early and is now taking the AS in maths. Yes we do complain when the fees go up, in particular the bus service was included but now has a separate charge, but overall we are impressed with the school and very happy that they are now able to offer A level in all core subjects so the students can stay on right through AS/A2 level.

The go ahead on the change of name to British Academy of Northern Cyprus will hopefully lead the way for an exciting future for the school.

We have heard mixed reports on both GAU and ESK, and ESK is not available for the older students as yet.

charb

Message Posted:
06/06/2010 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

All schools in here has a problem; their quality is highly dependent to the teachers. If most of the teachers are top quality in a school -either public or private-, then the school is good, and vice versa. To me, schools should have a standard, no matter what the quality of the teacher is. I think the main reason for the unstable quality of schools is the lack of a structured education system in North Cyprus.

On the other hand, Sunny Lane -soon British Academy- follows UK curriculum, which is a very structured system. Hence, they have a standard. I don't think that Sunny Lane can be compared to a public school; they are following UK curriculum -which is far more better than NC curriculum-, they have small size classes -which enables teachers to deal with their students much better-, and they are in progress.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.