North Cyprus Tourist Board - Active Pensioners North Cyprus Dream
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Active Pensioners North Cyprus Dream

Active Pensioners North Cyprus Dream

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Shogun

Message Posted:
05/06/2010 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Northern Cyprus

I am Mike, a 64 year old, about to retire and become a pensioner.

I decided to retire abroad 10 years ago but still not undecided where. I have had a flat on Ibiza for 14 years then sold and had one on Corfu now given up.

Over the last few years I have looked at Spain, Italy, Greece, France and South Cyprus. As most of you guys & girls are more in touch on the ground I would like some information.

Would North Cyprus be a good place to retire?

I do NOT want to be living in the middle of a busy tourist centre, in a holiday type property. I would prefer a town or village community where basics such as bread etc are within walking distance.

I would like basic comforts with, if possible some TV, phone, electric, maybe gas? Do I need air con?

Do I need heating ?

Within reasonable reach of a larger town, supermarket for full shopping etc. even people to meet, chat with so not isolated.

A great beach with no sunbeds a bonus

Mike Anyone to chat on line?

jamestalbot

Message Posted:
05/06/2010 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Gosh Mike you ask a lot of questions there, I used to live in Corfu also in Afra, close to Aqua Land, so in a small village but had village shops etc.

I am now in a similar place in TRNC, I live in Ozankoy a very nice village east of Kyrenia city, but only 10 mins by car from Kyrenia city centre, we also have village shops a few mins away.

What are you looking for a Apartment, House, Villa? are you looking to rent or buy?

If you coming over I will try and help you, (time allowing) and show you around.

Let me know

Kind Regards

James

stephen48

Message Posted:
05/06/2010 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

hi mike, welcome to the forum.

northern cyprus is a relatively new area and it has had many problems as other posters will no doubt make you aware. the biggest problem has been with dodgy builders operating. my advice would be if you are looking at property, look at re-sales with title deeds already obtained. many buillders have got into trouble and re-mortgaged land etc etc so buy wisely.

the north is made up of small villages that have expanded as building has progressed but each one is different and you need to come over and explore to see which would suit you best.

in our opinion, yes, northern cyprus is a good plkace to retire. you can have tv, electric, calor gas. long waiting for a phone but most people have internet and use skype. you need some for of heating for a few winter months once the sun drops around 4pm it can get cold.

we have a wonderful life here. you would have to visit and explore for yourself but you will get lots of advice on this forum.

best wis

Bradus

Message Posted:
05/06/2010 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

It is a good place to live but rent rather than buy.

Shogun

Message Posted:
06/06/2010 02:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

That is extremely kind of you! I did try to include everything but ran out of space as the post has limited number.

I would like to visit first for a week, stay in hotel, hire car and try to travel around and see if or where I like. I then intend to rent for 6 months if possible or even a year, see if I would settle there and soon as I felt positive about it to buy a smallish house, 2 or three bedrooms as I am sure my children and grandchildren will want to visit me. So the rental could be a 2 bed apartment or small house but the final house to buy needs to be comfortable size. Have looked in south but the mass developed estates with shared pools etc do NOT really appeal. I live in an old Victorian farmhouse in a village at the moment, far too big but wouls like to do this without selling house for a while if I can so will try to budget.

I did the same in Turkey a few weeks ago and did find a very nice guy who did what you suggest and he took me around a few areas.

Thank you

Mike

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.