North Cyprus Tourist Board - Importing cars into TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Importing cars into TRNC

Importing cars into TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

walkersav

Message Posted:
15/07/2008 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 38 in Discussion

We are hoping to move permanently to Northern Cyprus as soon as we can sell our house over here. We are getting conflicting information about importing cars. The main question is do you think it's worth bringing them or is it better to buy over there. My car is only 18 months old but with fairly high mileage. My wifes car is 6 years old with fairly low mileage. From reading a message on this forum only today it seems as though the import duty has just changed. What are used car prices like in TRNC as this would obviously have agreat bearing on the final decision.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions over the coming weeks (hopefully not months).

Thanks

joandjelly

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 01:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 38 in Discussion

It all depends on your budget really but there are loads of cars on forecourts and not much movement. It was reported a while back in Cyprus Today that there are approximately 5000 used cars waiting to be sold so in theory it should be a buyers market. All dealers will quote silly money but you should negotiate hard as they all have similar Japanese imports that they need to shift before they become too old to register. Personally I wouldn't go through the hassle of importing a car as it is very expensive and they keep changing the goalposts.

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 03:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 38 in Discussion

Hello Stuart

Welcome to the Forum!

I can't help but agree with joandjelly that the hassle and cost can both be considerable. I'll email you chapter and verse on Importing Cars anyway, and then you can make up your own mind!

Kind regards

Jo Valentine

http://www.jamesvalentineremovals.co.uk

simbas

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 06:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 38 in Discussion

hi walkersav , welcome to the forum , can only agree with last two comments it is very expensive , and by buying in nc you would be supporting your adopted country's economy

good luck , simbas

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 38 in Discussion

Hi Walkersav

As has been mentioned, expensive and theres too many funny handshakes and backhanders going on in customs, its a nest of vipers. Ive just done a motor before the prices went up via a fixer, who put the car through 4 grand cheaper than the personal quote I got. I paid him a grand to do it, he halfed that with the inside man so everyones happy( helping the TRNC economy as Simmbas says). Plenty of good deals arround the Nicosia area, dont buy arround Kyrenia as you will be shafted. Keep your eyes on the forum, been some good deals for motors here.

D.N

fire starter

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 08:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 38 in Discussion

don't do it. before we can they told us our tax would be 7k when the car got here they charged us 12k. cypriot friend did it, car came in april, he paid the tax this week same old story 12k. they seem to like that figure. if you have money to burn go ahead. we would advise DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also insurance is either full comp which is for our car about 2k per year or third party which i think is only covering you for up to 15,000 ytl, which wouldn't cover replacing a new car! buy second hand, insure third party, and drive like a cypriot thats my advise.

rigsby

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 08:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 38 in Discussion

One other thing to consider,Cooling systems on cars vary from country to country,ie;Will an english car struggle to keep water tempature down in this heat.My brother sent his range rover to Australia and had to change radiator,water pump and fan blades so that he could use it.

brian24001

Message Posted:
16/07/2008 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 38 in Discussion

I posted this a couple of days ago from 'villaowners' but here it is again

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/3759.asp

alanbarclay

Message Posted:
22/07/2008 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 38 in Discussion

im importing a car that is in trnc and want to pay import duty before it goes up,im told because its just over 5years they (import office) say the law is being changed any day now, can your ixer help.

thanks

fire starter

Message Posted:
24/07/2008 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 38 in Discussion

i'm sure all cars imported need to be 3 years old or newer.

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/07/2008 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 38 in Discussion

Having bought a new car here I can quite simply say that seeing all the problems, regulations and costs it is simply not worth the hassle (given all the other hassle you are going to have)... the costs of transporting and then paying the import duties don't seem to add up to a bargain.

I would not generally advise buying secondhand here either... the arithmetic just does not add up... i.e. you buy a Jap import for 18 - 20k... yet it only cost about 5k at auction in Japan... It's three years old and has about 30k on the clock... you don't know how hard it's been driven and in three years it will be six years old and not worth much....

Having said that my Brother-in-law bout a neat and tidy fiesta from Tasas for about 5k and it's a gem.... it was not a Jap import of course having been originally sold by Cangar Motors..

One thing the previous owner had racked-up a speeding fine and the police came after the new owner and seemed willing to coerce a "confession" from them! Even though they could prove they were not in the country at the time of the offence, how daft is that?

spud1

Message Posted:
25/08/2008 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 38 in Discussion

i have asked this before got no response. what are the problems with me driving my 2 year old ford ka to north cyprus and leaving it at my apartment to use when i am out there. it was only 5k new its value now is only about 2k will i have to pay duty on it. spud1

joandjelly

Message Posted:
25/08/2008 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 38 in Discussion

Spud1 yes you will have to pay duty. Customs will value it according to the Glass's Guide and charge a percentage of that value plus whatever else they want to add (KDV, etc).

fire starter

Message Posted:
25/08/2008 21:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 38 in Discussion

groucho, you are correct. if the car in japan has an accident it doesn't go back onto the road. it is fixed and exported. in the uk we call this grey import. insurance companies don't want to insure them. you cannot get the parts for repairs and also you don't know how bad the accident was. i have been inside a few repair garages here and cut and shut is an understatement. when i purchased my car here, i went to a cypriot friend,friends garage in gonyeli, and purchased a previously uk registered car, that way i could hpi check it, as i would in the uk.

joandjelly, just to let you know that we have been in the customs offices in famagusta and lefkosa and niether have an up to date glass's guide. they just charge what ever they feel like.

spud1

Message Posted:
26/08/2008 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 38 in Discussion

hi joandjelly. if i drive through from the south with my car how will they know how long its been there if i leave it at apartment and fly back home spud1

joandjelly

Message Posted:
26/08/2008 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 38 in Discussion

Spud1 - sorry absolutely no idea.

Firestarter - I'm sure you are right. We spent most of yesterday at Customs in Famagusta Port and it took them over an hour to decide how much we had to pay which was strange since they had a letter confirming original price of the car (a classic), had been approved by the Classic Car Club and the Ticaret Dairesi in Lefkosa.

Incidentally, for information, if you are going to pay your import duty at Famagusta Customs they will only accept payment in YTL.

beach resort

Message Posted:
27/08/2008 14:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 38 in Discussion

we are thinking of driving across to turkey and down to mersin and ferry to famagusta in a 1995 [m.reg] astra worth about £600 would there be any problems with that and could any one tell me how much tax i would pay to get in famagusta and how long i can keep it there all replies welcome cheers all...

beach resort

Message Posted:
01/09/2008 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 38 in Discussion

can any one relpy to previous message, thanx....

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
01/09/2008 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 38 in Discussion

I was told that you couldn't import a car more than 5 yrs old and no more that 3 years old if you haven't owned it from new. We abandoned the idea of bringing our car as the import duty is so expensive. It was something like $1200 plus 40% of the Glasses Guide value of the car....Ouch!

rtddci

Message Posted:
01/09/2008 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 38 in Discussion

NC and taxes or charges of any sort = ouch!

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
01/09/2008 19:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 38 in Discussion

beach resort

unless you have owned car from new you will not be allowed into the country with it.

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
01/09/2008 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 38 in Discussion

I think you can bring your car in as a tourist but probably have to take it away with you within 90 days. Other people on this forum are probably much more knowledgeable than me as I'm just a 'newbie'!

johnty

Message Posted:
01/09/2008 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 38 in Discussion

Dont do it taxes very expensive see other threads.

It mustnt be over 5 years old

fire starter

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 38 in Discussion

joanandjelly, we also had the original purchase reciept from a ford main dealer. they don't care about anything you say they just charge what ever they like. glass's guide is for the uk traders. you pay by subscription to get the latest upto date guide or you can do it on line. milage is a very big factor when valuing a car in the glass's guide. they wouldn't know how to used one even if they had one!

Tessa-Persil

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 02:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 38 in Discussion

We had considered taking our own car out with us to NC but have decided against it after reading the advice on this forum. We are very grateful for the advice and guidance.

Can anyone rcommend any car dealers in NC that could be considered fair or reputable?

Deniz1

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 06:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 38 in Discussion

My friend has an imported car here which has been on ZT plates for about three years. Can anyone tell me accurately how much duty she would pay now to put trnc plates on. It is a renault clio 5 years old.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 38 in Discussion

back to the top

elkiton

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 38 in Discussion

Sorry to disagree with a lot of the posts. I drove my 3 year old Ranger 2.5L diesel over, a honeymoon trip in 2008. The import tax was £3.5K,and plate registration a further £350. This gave me a 3 year old car well equipped for the weather and road conditions here, and as I bought it new and negotiated a sizable discount from the dealer, it cost me effectively nothing to import it taking into consideration the reduced purchase price. Looking at the small expensive bangers driven by a lot of people here, often stuck in the mud, it was the right decision for me. My advice is to check up with the tax office when you are over before you make a move and get a guideline figure from them. Rather than go by some of the histronics posted here, ask the T.O. what the algorithm is.

Now we will get a lecture on the inadvisability of owning a diesel or some such rubbish followed by a snide "I'm all right Jack" or "How clever you are" comment from somebody who did not do their homework ..

TonyE

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 00:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 38 in Discussion

elkiton,re 28;

I'd like to add 1 more important 'fact' to your comments............

Many people,inc. some of 'you' are importing ex write offs,repairing them and selling them on to 'you' even though 'they' are restricted from selling for minimum of 2 years,under the clause of power of atorney as perfectly good cars.

How do I know?....................that'd be telling,wouldn't it?

Those of you that had bought like that will be facing a hefty fine as well as vat, based on tax officers valuation.

How I know that would also be telling.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 38 in Discussion

Can any one answer my question?

Deniz1

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 38 in Discussion

back to the top

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 38 in Discussion

Deniz1;

If my memory doesn't prove me wrong,the car should have either registered or taken out of country long time ago.

Because,30 days of permit on arrival+max. 2 lots of 6 month extensions you get.After that you must pay 60tl for every month for being late as a penalty.From my understanding the car is at high risk of being confiscated.

As for how much duty?You'll have to take all documents to customs office,get a commisinier,and they'll work it out for you.

cavalryman

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 17:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 38 in Discussion

Yorgozlu,

I know of more than one of your own that have been importing cars that have previously been writoffs in the uk bear in mind some cars do not have to be damaged to be written off.Stolen recovered found after the insurance have paid out are classed as cat x no visible damage and cars with engine damage also.So while I do not encourage it SOME total losses are ok however the rebuilding af ANY car unless done properly is dangerous.I would like your comments on the car that was taken ILLEGALLY by the customs that ended up being the prime ministers car and on the same number plates as a mercedes also government owned.The customs by the way admitted they were wrong.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 38 in Discussion

The car is taxed and insured every six months at the customs office in Lefkosa.They said because the owner is here less that three months every year it can be kept on zt plates. She was wondering how much she would have to pay maybe she will ask next time she comes over.

waddo

Message Posted:
12/01/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 38 in Discussion

TonyE, well done that man, at last a tale of success in the car import mess that is the TRNC. Don't know how you did and don't care, its just nice to see that you got it through ok. So many others have paid through the nose, ears and ar*e that it almost seems impossible to import safely.

We were going to bring our Pajero but then they changed the law again - who can remember when they changed the law so that it read "The vehicle must not be over 5 years old and must have been owned by the owner for 5 years"? That meant we had nine tenths of two fifths of three quarters of a second to get it here and pay the import tax before our time was up!!! We gave up.

Never forget that the "age" of the vehicle, for road tax purposes, is the date it is registered in the TRNC! Not the date of manufacture but the date of TRNC registration - this means that a 5 year old care imported into TRNC is effectivley brand new on its registration date. It will be 15 before the tax is reduced! Ouc

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
13/01/2011 09:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 38 in Discussion

Deniz1;

Often 'assuming' gets one wrong!Me in this case.

Yes,since they don't live here on permanent bases,their allowence is 360 days.But as you said as well,best place to get exact figure is the customs itself.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
13/01/2011 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 38 in Discussion

cavalryman;

I don't know what and how your car were confiscated but if it's not 'too little too late',I'd be willing to help.

cavalryman

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 14:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 38 in Discussion

Hi Yorgozlu

Thanks for your offer of help I assume you saw the article in the tc papers the car was only in a matter of weeks before being lifted it was taxed (uk) declered legally but lifted when out of the country customs admitted they made a mistake but was told to forget it as it was being auctioned was not auctioned on the day but was told by customs to forget about itas it was "to fill a need for the goverment." ersin tatar offered to help to no availl.Next seen on rha plates as prime ministers car then after on tc plates with the identical number as another goverment mercedes. customs said it would never be allowed to be used on the island.It may be best to contact me off board

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.