North Cyprus Tourist Board - ESK When is a scholarship not a scholarship?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > ESK When is a scholarship not a scholarship?

ESK When is a scholarship not a scholarship?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Bikerboy

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

I have just received a text message from ESK (English School of Kyrenia) advising me that if I do not pay my 1st instalment of next years school fees by the 10th of june my child will loose her place! The fees were only requested on the 1st of June.

As one of the first people to put their childs education in the trust of this school, who lets face it were an unknown quantity I feel bitterly let down. The fees have been increased by a not inconsiderable amount and i wonder what the justification for this is? Is it to pay for the so called "scholarship" on offer.

At the openning of the school last year the children had to put up with no air conditioning, no internet access, a dire lack of books, and also a shortage of uniforms. On top of that the food was unedible and meals were delivered from an outside caterer at one point.

I beleive that the increase in fees is a terrible mistake on the part of the owners, if they had waited until exam results were published and we could have been

Bikerboy

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

assured of the good work and standards of the school it would have been better.

I would be interested to hear from other parents at the school as i have written two emails asking for information on the increase in fees and have not received a reply to either.

lulubell

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

How about an increase of 150 pounds sterling for the school bus?? any new buses? awnser no? increase in petrol ? no when i challenged this i was told that the place would have to be reserved as my daughter only does home drop off after school i said thats fine she would occasionally get the bus to school then and was told no thats not possible. But surely you have just told me that her place is reserved even though its only one way? and i am paying 450 sterling.... so figures they charge me 450 one way and the other parent who does one way 450 a total of 900 sterling round trip instead of 650. i think you will find there will be another school increase in the not so distant future. As for the scholarship as far as i am aware a scholarship entitles someone less fortunate but academically very gifted, to be able to attend a private or grammer school. Do any parents know if it is an internal scholarship and who is funding it? SO far 150 sterling increase from november for the school bus

lulubell

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

and another 100 increase on school fees per month i think perhaps they are making a big mistake...Agree with school dinners my daughter now has to have packed lunch the uniform is extortionate and the quality is dreadfull. Overall not a happy parent.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Withdraw your children and start hunting around for a school that you're more comfortable with. What age are they?

Richard

jimm127

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

The question of scholarships is interesting and seems to have a different meaning here. At the Near East Uni they have just had their entrance exams. If your child passed they could go with fees at £3000 plus KDV per year. If they were bright enough to get the full scholarship it was not free, merely reduced to £1400 plus KDV. This granted is a substantial saving, but when you realise that the child of a teacher gets it for £1700 plus KDV it puts the structure into perspective. That been said it seems like a top rate school with every amenity.

roseann

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

Please feel free to contact our school to arrange an appointment to view The British Academy (Sunny Lane School) where we will be happy to show you round and discuss your child's education.

Please also look at our website http://www.sunnylaneschool.net for more information about the new exciting future of our school.

Roseann - Office Manager- Sunny Lane School (soon to be The British Academy)

Bikerboy

Message Posted:
08/06/2010 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

back to the top please

smitty1210

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 06:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

This post bothers me.

I'm well invested in ESK as my child goes there also. You've asked for opinions from other parents so here it goes.

I think your post is poorly placed. I'm particularly concerned that you've chosen such a public forum to voice your complaints. Why ask this question in a public forum where most who read it do not have children in the school? The only reason I can think is you have made a choice (consciously or unconsciously) to taint the opinions of others.

I have two emails from mid-May that clearly state that fees are due by June first. They aren't directed personally to me so I assume that you were also sent the same mass email. Perhaps not, I can't see your email inbox, but I suspect you were. We know when the terms begin and end and the payment schedule is given when you enroll your child. Why are you surprised now?

You say you feel bitterly let down and then go on to list several complaints...(more)

smitty1210

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 06:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

My child has been there too and from where I stand I think ESK has done a great job through this transitional year. There have been challenges, of course, and they're working through these very well I believe.

One need only visit the school and speak with the administrators to clearly see their commitment to developing a fantastic school and program. I have seen dramatic improvement in my son's academic ability and see the amount of time and effort put forth for him.

Of course there are things I'd like to adjust or see change, but posting your complaints in a forum then asking for only ESK parents to respond shows poor form. Saying, "I sent an email but didn't get a response" doesn't justify a public verbal lashing as you've given, in my opinion.

If you don't like it, send your child to another school. ESK is a fine school with great standards and I'm not one to let the critics be the only ones heard. There are plenty of parents that are very pleased with ESK's results.

lulubell

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 06:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

Message 9

Can i ask how you know that most people on this forum do not have children at the school??

Also this is my personal experience and opinion of which i am unhappy. If your experience is a good one and you are pleased then thats great. Like most things it depends on what your looking for in a school and as a parent. I do not pass judgement on those who are happy with it thats fine, with regards to what i will do and what action i have taken that is something that i do not need to post on the forum. I responded to another parents post who is also unhappy and experiencing the same complaints.

regards.

Hippo

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 06:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

I would be more interested if you questioned the qualifications of the teachers there?

smitty1210

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 07:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Lulubell,

8624 forum members according to the forum homepage this morning. If only 1/8th of the members here had children at ESK it'd still be too many.

And the qualifications of the teachers? Question them. I'm sure I don't know, but I believe if you were to simply go in and ask they'd be more than happy to share the qualifications of their staff.

And why would you suggest something like this any way if you're not associated with the school? Unless you have some agenda. Seems like baiting to me.

Bikerboy

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Re Msg 9

I dont think you are alone in having invested in the school to the benefit of your child.

I think you have missed the point, we all stood by the school at the beginning and are standing by them now, however the fees have been increased and without any warning or reason.

I dont believe anybody has an axe to grind against the school as you have suggested.

The forum is a very good means of communicating with others who have the smai interests and hearing their views. I wonder would you be happier if i stood at the gates giving out fliers and asking the parents directly for their views?

ozankoys

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

Why do you not do the proper thing and organise a parents' association which can be affiliated to the school and provide a proper forum to air your grievances and discuss issues with other parents. You can then put forward any points to the school as a joint voice.

Why do you not speak to the school direct and ask them where the scholarship money has come from, I believe it is from a benefactor but you could confirm this with them.

Bikerboy

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 10:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Hi ozankoys, as i have stated in my original post, I have emailed (their preferred method of communication) the school on several occassions to ask for information about the increase in fees and have to date not received a reply.

I dont understand why everybody seems to think i am out to damage the school, i only require some form of explanation from them as i feel the increase in fees is excessive when on the other hand they are offering scholarships, can I ask how you know that there is a "benefactor involved and why has this not been made common knowledge?

ozankoys

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

As I said before you should direct your enquiries to the school, if they do not answer your e-mails then make an appointment to see somebody there as this forum is not the place to have your queries answered.

girne

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

Having always said it 'the private schools out here are in it for just the money' they do not look at you as an individual but as a £sigh

Normal schooling here is just as good and bennits the children more.

You move to a cultural country in which your children need to learn their culture.

The best thing l did was take them out of these money making schools.

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

In the matter of a year, ESK has done well enough now to become an established part of the educational system within North Cyprus. The school as an establishment is open to the public who wish to pay for their child to have a private education.

The public are in a position to both appraise and criticise the school. Both should however come parent who have children within the establishment or a vested interest within the school.

Bikerboys thread is consequently legitimate. A good proportion of members on this forum will have children who attend school, so it is indeed the right place to highlight his questions , considering he's had no response from the school. It allows parents who maybe considering the school an opportunity to gauge opinion on the school, first hand. Similarly for parents who are pleased its an adequate place to tell everyone why.

Thats the point behind having a discussion forum.

My kids go to GAU and whilst all schools here have issues, they are happy....

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 14:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

...and doing very well at school. Sure I have to teach them at home, and in an ideal world I wouldn't have to, however we're not in an ideal world, we're in North Cyprus

Bikerboy

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

Thanks for your positive comments Goonerboy

Jodienjon

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

I thiought this is what a forum was all about, take the negative with the positive, but also a way to express yourself.

parkview

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

We have a girl who is 4 in October, and will be looking for her next School in the near future. As a parent it is of concern to settle a child in a school, and then if School is successful, to see fees being increased in an arbitrary fashion

Can anyone currently sending their child 5 -- 11 years age group please confirm fee charged and cost of Bus etc

Thanks

chrism

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Hi Guys my daughter goes to ESK and we have been hit with a big increase in fees. i agree with bikerboy, with his coments and also with his decision to put this on the forum. From what I can gather he hasnt said anything that is untrue?

When I enrolled my daughter at the school she was told that there would be a full size swimming pool included in the facilities. It now comes to light that the pool which isnt finished a year later will not be full size and will only be used by the younger pupils to be taught to swim!

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
09/06/2010 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Well GAU have kept their fees the same for next year if its any help, however as with any other school on the Island you need to make sure its right for your kids.

chrism

Message Posted:
10/06/2010 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

Hi all D Day for fees today.

If you dont pay by today ESK will cancel your childs place, Apparently!

chrism

Message Posted:
10/06/2010 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

I think this should be at the top

Heartman

Message Posted:
10/06/2010 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

Re Msg 12

Dont often do this but what the heck.

I can say that ESK only employ fully qualified English trained teaching staff (unlike other private schools over here). And how many other schools show ALL their information on their website including FEES!!!!!!

How many others fly to England to recruit staff?

So I hope this was interesting for you Hippo.

Pixie

Message Posted:
11/06/2010 09:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

Hello all,

I just have a few questions to ask about ESK and seeing that some people here are on the inside track I thought I might as well ask them on this thread.

I have currently placed my sons name on the waiting list and he is due to start nursery school in 2 years.

I thought that I would place him in a small british run nursery with smaller groups and lot's of one to one where he wouldn't be the smallest child in a very big school. I also like the thought of him being in a smaller place for his first few years.

I have been to ESK once, but I haven't had a look around as they invited me to do that in September. But I do know from talking to the staff there that they are thinking of employing fully bilingual English teachers meaning turkish cypriots who have been educated in the maarif college and had university training in the UK or another country.

Pixie

Message Posted:
11/06/2010 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

From what Ive heard of the ESK is that they employ a turkish teacher and English teacher for the classes. The English teacher speaks English and the Turkish teacher explains it to the children. In primary this will change and they will be English speaking only.

This is the reason why I want to place my son from primary onwards, but Im also a little bewildered by the thought of these bilingual teachers.

What do other parents think?

Am I being unreasonable or silly when I think the level might drop when the teachers aren't native speakers?

Is it better to try and have him sit the exam for the English school in Nicosia, or perhaps enroll him in a school on the greek side?

I will be running an education and activity center with native speaker teachers next year but I want him to be schooled in English for the whole day, not just a few half days a week.

What do others think?

Pixie

Message Posted:
11/06/2010 09:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

I omitted to say that my husband is Turkish and doesn't speak much English so it's important to me that my child is exposed to as much English as possible.

I want him to be as near native level as I can manage living in Cyprus, and I'm sure that I can do it as long as he goes to a quality English medium school.

Pogle

Message Posted:
11/06/2010 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

Pixie

Have you considered Miss Judy's for your young son ( English Reading Centre). My daughter has been there since she was 2, she is now nearly 5, we are delighted with her progress, the school has exceeded expectations. All education is conducted in English, school is run like a small English country primary, there is a very nurturing environment. At present Miss Judy takes children up to 6 but this could be extended to 7 next year. We have visited ESK and would possibly consider it when our daughter has to leave Miss Judy's in the meantime we could not have hoped for a better start for her. The fees are also very reasonable. It is a pity your activity centre is not in the Girne area, there is a desperate need for activities for children aged 2-6.

Best of luck

Mel

Pixie

Message Posted:
11/06/2010 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Well Pogle

Miss Judy's is where I am planning on sending my little one. In fact I called her when I was pregnant and we agreed that he would start for a few mornings a week when he is 2 years old. I have heard nothing but excellent reviews about the school.

I'm worried about primary school so please keep us informed of what you decide for your daughter.

The activity center will probably be in hamitkoy just past the kibris newspaper and 20 minutes from central kyrenia. If there are enough children I will put in a service bus.It's entertaining and fun to get them speaking etc. It will be a structured program following a course which is a mix of key stage and the ministry of educations themes for children in Turkish translated into English with a pyp approach (inquiry based learning) primary years program of the IB.There will be lots of activities, arts and crafts and music, singing end of year show etc.

Pixie

Message Posted:
11/06/2010 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

But at the end of the day it will be 2 days a week of English lessons with a small class of kids plus 2 days that they can come in to do homework, or journal writing, reading under the supervision of teachers + a one hour activity per week like yoga or cooking on an afternoon.

It will more than a private lesson, but not like a proper school. So it will support the childs English and teach new things, a child attending a proper school will have much more exposure to English that a child attending the center.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.