North Cyprus Tourist Board - advice for stopover in istanbul
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > advice for stopover in istanbul

advice for stopover in istanbul

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Alexo

Message Posted:
17/07/2008 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Hello all,

I shall be traveling to TRNC in September via Istanbul and would like to have a stopover there for five or six days in mid to late September.

Has anyone had a stopover/holiday in Istanbul, if so, could you please recommend any hotels, restaurants, places to see and so on.

I would appreciate any help or advice that you may offer.

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

aweverard

Message Posted:
17/07/2008 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Alex,

I do the stop over every year as we come from Beijing and it helps to break the journey.

As Istanbul is a major tourist destination they are really set up of visitors - i.e. 2 years ago in a 2 star B & B we had free WiFi in all rooms, lobby and roof top terrace and could get signals from every other hotel and cafe around.

Looking for hotels try the Lonely Planet website - some very true reviews. If you want to sightsee Sultanahmet is the area to be, loads of fine 2* to 4* places and even some 5* - the prison from Midnight Express is now a 5* hotel I forget the name. Also every time I have been there, summer or winter all the restaurants have been very good in all price ranges.

Head over to the Taksim area for more modern life style, shopping, eating, nightclub etc is very much the westend/city of Istanbul with all that entails.

Must sees are Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi, Grand Bazaar, Spice Bazaar as main points, also do a Bosphorus cruise day and night if poss. Take a day trip to Gallipoli and Troy as you will be there 5 days (can do most of the main sights in 3 if somewhat quickly) - TIP - do Topkapi early, break for lunch in the restaurant with view to the Asian shore and then finish afterward - you will miss most of the heat and crowds.

Am stopping there in the way back in mid August to visit friends so will let you know what is current.

Hope this helps.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
17/07/2008 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Hi why not have a look at our http://www.flightholiday.co.uk web site where we have complete Istanbul packages and a huge selection of Istanbul hotels all in one spot.

Or try our Istanbulk breaks in Stort Turkey getaways (organsied individual tours) on http://www.fezbus.co.uk

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
17/07/2008 22:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

We went last September and in addition to the places mentioned by aweverard, we enjoyed the Basilica Cistern in Sultanahmet and a boat trip to the Princes' Islands. We stayed in Sultanahmet but used all forms of public transport to get about, great fun and cheap.

Alexo

Message Posted:
18/07/2008 08:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Aweverard, come on aylin and flightholiday,

Thanks for all your advice, it really is appreciated and we shall try and see/go to all the locations mentioned.

Once again folks, thanks.

Alex.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.