North Cyprus Tourist Board - A Word Of Warning!! North cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > A Word Of Warning!! North cyprus

A Word Of Warning!! North cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

zerochlor

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 16:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 50 in Discussion

Having spent the last Two days in lefcosa customs going through the motions to get a car back,we was having a bit of a giggle with customs,this is what was said.

customs man : the english make life easy for us customs!

We dont have to go and look for english number plate cars! we get so many phone calls from english people saying some 1 in the house down the road has had a car with english number plates on it for some time now,,maybe they should go and have a look

or a phone call saying this man has had a car in cyprus for 1 year or 2 years and its still on english number plates.

so the moral of the story is this it seems. If you have a english number plate car and you get a visit from customs.maybe its your friend from the next house of from the local pub who has Grassed you up or stuck you in to the customs

Just thought id share this little bit of useless information with you all, i hope no 1 reading this feels a little guilty !! Good samaritans huh!!

proger1

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 50 in Discussion

Dave,

Funilly enough I have been considering bringing over a car myself and as a non resident I believe I can keep it in the country for up to a year as long as the tax and MOT are in date and obviously it is insured. The only thing I need to find out about is shipping costs.

I hadn't planned on keeping it in country after that but now I definately wouldn't but do you know if it is possible to go to customs and prove all of the documentation to them so that I could avoid the situation described above?

Paul

zerochlor

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 50 in Discussion

Yes as a non resident or some one who has not settled here you can get 1 year on the car as long as it has a british tax disk,so if you have only 8 months left on your tax you will get 8 months and so on.

They will give you 1 month on arrival,after that you will go to lefcosa and extend your permission on the car to keep it here.

But if you have a stamp in your passport that says you have brough furniture here,then you will not be allowed to keep a english number plate car here for 1 year! or supposedly not!!

depends what kind of friends you got and if they like to make them self busy on how long you keep the car on UK plates.

matula

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 50 in Discussion

Lapta beledyi water department drive around in an old Land Rover with L reg. plates on it. How do they get away with it?

zerochlor

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 50 in Discussion

Matula.

good question!

i suppose it will always be US and THEM !

juliamoons

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 50 in Discussion

Zerochlor

Yes you can have furniture delivered. Ours came 2 weeks before the car. I kept my car here a year before paying import duties, but it meant many a trip to customs in Lefkosia to get it extended up to a year. You can also have a temporary residency stamp in your passport.

juliamoons

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 50 in Discussion

Oops as well as the customs stamp for your furniture.

wanderer

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 50 in Discussion

Imported wife's car in Sept2009 with 12 months UK mot & tax paid the duty an got the TRNC log book and plate today

Duty not too bad time consuming some very nice and helpful people along the way I have no Turkish and they had little English but a willingness to help from the officials very good people

proger1

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 50 in Discussion

Thanks Dave,

I do have one of those passport stamps so I suppose I had better find out about that otherwise it woould be very expensive to ship a car for only 1 month. It seemed like a good idea but I suppose every idea has its drawbacks.

Paul

Tootie

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 50 in Discussion

Tut tut....

No one likes a faceless grass

spider

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 50 in Discussion

my guess is you will always get some Brits that just seem to get satisfaction from grassing others up,but hay the law is and we should abide by the rules..

Spider,X

tattlad

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 18:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 50 in Discussion

Some people have far too much time on their hands if they are doing that sort of thing, it beggars belief, dropping their fellow country men in the sh*t like that.

proger1

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 50 in Discussion

I would hazard a guess that there is more to this than meets the eye when it comes to the informing but as unfair as it sounds, the law is the law. Just like other things people have taken chances on, they can backfire on you.

I am not saying I agree with it but at the end of the day, If I take the chance on doing something that is outside the law and get caught, I only really have myself to blame no matter how the authorities got the information, that's not to say I wouldn't pull out my hind teeth trying to get revenge on the grass.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 50 in Discussion

send the grass to work at ercan airport chances are he will get shot

rowlo

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 50 in Discussion

the green eyed monster roams the globe , some people like to inform on others , busy boddies my nan used to call them ? what makes me laugh is , they all shout about us brits sticking together , then they hide behind the curtains grassing up the neighbour , sad people ?

Groucho

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 50 in Discussion

Well let's see... someone with an illegal car writes off your totally legal one... oh dear... sorry their 'insurance' won't pay out.... The owner does a runner... how fair is that?

I don't see what's unfair about the law it seems perfectly fair to me.

(no I don't grass up my neighbour but then my neighbour is not some wide boy thinking the law only applies to fools and horses)

laptarunner

Message Posted:
17/06/2010 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 50 in Discussion

Its easy to maon about driving around on illegal cars, but are they insured? What would the same people say about people driving around in UK with no tax and insuraqnce.

I am sure there are rights and wrongs over problems importing cars, but you should do your home work.

Lilli

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 50 in Discussion

you know what you give your documents and they wii insure you regardless. however i think its so bad that brits report you . i just cant beleive it. low class

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 06:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 50 in Discussion

Sorry folks, there has been enough stuff written about "illegal" cars over last 2/3 years that anyone who still gets caught must live in another world.

Do not forget, when you arrive here with your car it is logged by customs. Regularly now they do purges on the back numbers. BINGO we have a hit.

If you have been "grassed on" all you have to do is ask and usually the authorities here will tell you. Otherwise, the system works, caught bang to right!!!!!

I will bet most of the above blaming the system here will bleat on in the UK about all those with no tax, insurance etc, the twockers who steal your car etc. Another case of double standards.

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 08:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 50 in Discussion

Lilli, I'm sorry but I think the cosy criminal class here is not my idea of high class, or any class whatsoever.

Day in day out one observes people flouting the laws of the TRNC, these laws would apply in the UK too but it seems that they regard the TRNC as a place without the rule of law and one where they just ignore those rules that they find inconvenient or more importantly would cost them money... whether that be in relation to cars, residency, employment etc, etc.

What is ironic is that those very same people are the ones bemoaning UK immigration, the wonder of the NHS, their rights as smokers and how unfair it is that they have problems over their housing here...

A word of warning... you may well be able to buy insurance and they will certainly take your money... but if you are involved in an accident and your car is on the road illegally they may well decline to pay out. I know it doesn't sound fair does it....

proger1

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 50 in Discussion

It sems a couple of comments above have twisted the other comments around a bit. I didn't see anyone blaming the system, only the grassing factor.

Dave was trying to be helpful, which I really appreciate and some of the follow up comments were also helpful.

Remember now why I stopped using the forum for a while.

Thanks to those with the info, agree with those who think grassing is wrong but then if you are legal I suppose there is nothing to worry about except the trust you would have in your neighbor afterward and as for double standards, maybe if the UK did the follow up that NC do on back numbers there would be less illegal motors in UK.

Just me being pedantic again I suppose but then some comments almost shout (I WANT TO MAKE THIS A CONFRONTATION)

Paul

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 08:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 50 in Discussion

Groucho,

msg 20

"...they regard the TRNC as a place without the rule of law and one where they just ignore those rules that they find inconvenient or more importantly would cost them money..."

Do you know, for a minute there I thought you were talking about Turkish Cypriots!

I know we should lead by example, but maybe it's a bit of "when in Rome.."

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 08:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 50 in Discussion

Paul just like all things in life... getting away with it, as practised by many here is all well and good until the shit hits the fan... then all of a sudden it's 'poor me, I'm being victimised'...

I'm not inclined to grass on people but by the same token, I have little or no sympathy for those who CHOOSE not to regularise their cars etc. and let's be honest here, it's a choice they make knowing the risks but ignoring the risk they pose to others should their insurance turn out to be invalid...

It's a sad fact of life here that you don't have to do anything wrong to get the attention of the police. As for their main source of info being other ex-pats, I'd take that with a pinch of salt...

The fuzz could stand at any junction and catch hundreds of cars being driven illegally without breaking a sweat.

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 08:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 50 in Discussion

This is the bit of Zerochlor's original post that I take exception to....

"so the moral of the story is this it seems. If you have a english number plate car and you get a visit from customs.maybe its your friend from the next house of from the local pub who has Grassed you up or stuck you in to the customs"

Which should read... "so the moral of the story is this... GET YOUR CAR LEGAL" but hey who am I to spoil the enjoyment of those who knowingly takes silly risks?

jock1

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 08:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 50 in Discussion

I knew a woman who was lifted by the fuzz..............

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 50 in Discussion

bet that made her eyes water!

Troodo

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 50 in Discussion

It's those non-smokers abiding to the letter of the law again.

zerochlor

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 09:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 50 in Discussion

The posting was really about busy bodies and curtain twitchers,not about the legalities and the TRNC law,of course we must abide by the law of the land we live in,no 1 is saying any1 should flout the laws, if your that way inclined ,rolll the dice and take your chance.But dont cry over spilt milk!

im not moaning about wasteing 2 days in lefcosa customs,every day is a learning day,and 2 days in lefcosa customs is a lesson learned and good experience and hearing some wonderful stories and opinions and of course opinions of others about US brits, seems we could be described as our own worst enemies!! by some!

Tally ho. onwards and upwards eh!

Happy motoring every1

sloan

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 50 in Discussion

Hi Dave! So what was the outcome? Have you got your beautiful car back? Did you have to pay a fine? Will you be able to keep it here. I remember your giving me advice about driving over ...... but think it may be more trouble than it is worth.

basheer

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 50 in Discussion

I hear some put false plates on and get away pass all speeding zones

zerochlor

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 50 in Discussion

Hello Sheila.

Well, the outcome,very interesting really,so many loopholes in north cyprus, like message 22 says,when in rome , become a roman!

Basheer. thats really taking it to the extreame,easier to just buy s snoopy speed camera detector! or dont drive so fast!

johnnybgoode

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 50 in Discussion

having not lived in the uk, for the past 10yrs, living in the trnc, spain, france, and portugal i have come to believe in 1 thing, and thats if your going to get screwed by someone, then that someone is always a going to be a brit.

must be jealousy me thinks.

petsitter22

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 50 in Discussion

Ive seen so many cars recentlyt driving around without a numberplate on the front - guess its a good way of not getting caught on camera

DONTY

Message Posted:
18/06/2010 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 50 in Discussion

Interesting reading.

You can work out who are the grasses (or potential grasses) and who arent.

BTW. If i see any of you failing to indicate at least 3 seconds before turning or pulling away without looking over your shoulder im going straight to the old bill.

Groucho

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 07:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 50 in Discussion

DONTY, I think it's a lot easier to spot those inclined to drive illegally.

Johnny, As for those being screwed, if they weren't doing anything illegal they wouldn't have been 'screwable' would they?

One thing re the customs... my neighbour was having his possessions delivered and the locals working for Dolphin removals made it their business to point out each and every item they thought was new to the customs men. Who were livid as they had to closely inspect many more items than they felt inclined to. This was out of sheer badness and jealousy we were told by the customs man. As it turned out they hadn't bought new stuff to import so they were wasting everybody's time..

Nett result, the delivery workers got no tip other than 'next time keep your traps shut'.

zerochlor

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 50 in Discussion

Groucho.

You have just said the answer i was looking for in the last 4 words of your last sentance.

Cheers.

never mind what he or she is doing.

Troodo

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 50 in Discussion

Unless your car is an old family heirloom or whatever, why would you want to bring a car over here when there are plenty of good bargains to be had in the TRNC with far less agro?

Groucho

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 50 in Discussion

Dave,

I don't advocate ex-pats calling in to report their neighbours, it's hardly going to foster a good relationship. Then they wonder why there are whispers and name calling By the same token I don't advocate ex-pats flaunting their lack of honesty either. Driving around in a UK plated Range Rover which has overstayed its welcome is simply being a plonker. If they can really afford a Range Rover they can afford the duty... if not, nobody's impressed by their show of ostentatious wealth.... are they? really?

There are plenty of people trying to drive a wedge between sectors of the ex-pat community. What's the motive? I've no idea other than jealousy maybe.

ang1706

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 50 in Discussion

Groucho

Spot on mate!!

There are Laws and yes people get jealous about others flaunting them!!

zerochlor

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 50 in Discussion

wise words groucho.

If the goverment halfed the CIF price on the CC of each car then folk might be more inclined to pay up and not try to dodge paying.

The auto galleries here in TRNC are lobbying goverment to try to get this TAX lowerd,as it will kickstart 2 business ,the new car and second hand car sales.

At the moment a 3litre car gets Taxed $14000 just on the CC capasity, its criminal,thats also for new cars imported here by the car dealers,and also for second hand cars.

Jealousy is something we can never do nothing about,its a fact of life, shamefull .

Troodo

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 50 in Discussion

Perhaps the TRNc want you to buy your cars here, it will help the economey - fair enough.

As for expats dobbing people in, it has been labour policy for years now to encourage that in the UK. And as many of you keep ranting, it is against the law.

basheer

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 50 in Discussion

wanderer,how much was the duty for your 03 car in the end

zerochlor

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 50 in Discussion

troodo. example. range rover vogue here,cost between 96 to 104,000

uk cost 45 to 50k. why the big prices diffrence??

i know were not in the UK, but even the locals moan about the cost of cars here.

if the goverment brought down the tax on the CC of cars every 1 would be replacing there cars from new to also second hand,as prices would drop drastically.

no wonder they do 60 and 80 months HP here, you need it to buy a range rover !!

in england or most other countries the residual value would be almost nothing after 60 or 80 months,but here in cyprus they still worth good money, but still too expensive,taking into consideration peoples salaries here!

exroyal

Message Posted:
24/06/2010 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 50 in Discussion

I suppose we do know that a british plated car as long as its has british taxe and locally insured can stay in the TRNC for years, the rule is that the owner can keep it here legally untill the owner has spent 12 months in the TRNC, so if the owner only spends three months a year in the TRNC so the car can stay for 4 years, maybe that is why some people think that some vehicles have outstayed their welcome, and should not think that the owners are plonkers.

Madeyes

Message Posted:
24/06/2010 19:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 50 in Discussion

Anyone have any idea about greek registered cars?

rowlo

Message Posted:
24/06/2010 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 50 in Discussion

msg45 ,dont do it ?

Madeyes

Message Posted:
24/06/2010 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 50 in Discussion

I have no choice. I leave the RAF in 1 week to move north.

I can't see me being able to afford another Landcruser over there & i'm not lining the pockets of TWO governments for 1 car.

wanderer

Message Posted:
24/06/2010 21:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 50 in Discussion

Bash e-mailed you

Madeyes

Message Posted:
25/06/2010 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 50 in Discussion

received it thank you.

cyprusharv

Message Posted:
25/06/2010 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 50 in Discussion

Madeyes- My advice............sell your Landcruiser there (or give to a dealer to sell for you) and buy a smaller car here in the "North". Road tax is crazy here for big, heavy cars and really the roads are suited to smaller cars.

There's not such a great difference in the price of small cars South/North.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.