North Cyprus Tourist Board - Help us have a great holiday in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Help us have a great holiday in North Cyprus

Help us have a great holiday in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about North Cyprus Holidays

» Book your North Cyprus Holiday online

» Book North Cyprus Hotels Online: Secure & Easy

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Oldbill1969

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 22:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Hello everyone, I have been a browser of this wonderful site for a number of weeks. We have booked our family holiday to North Cyprus in August and will be renting a Villa in Kayim site 7,Esentepe. To this end I ask if you could all be so kind as to assist it making it a holiday to remember. I would love some recommendations as to where where to eat, places to visit, things to do etc. We are hiring a car for our two week holiday so traveling is not an issue but we would obviously like to eat locally around Esentepe quite often.

The other questions I have is that although we have a hire car I would like the opportunity to not drive on a couple of evenings and wonder if there are any places near to Kayim site 7 to eat and have a dink. I believe that the site is near to the coast and whilst I realise it will not be a beach, will it be a suitable place to have a swim? I would like to keep this thread alive as I count down to our holiday and will provide our experiences on our return.

gooligan

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

You will have the Esentepe Halk beach not that far away and you will have the Antique bar,Poppin and the Hacienda within walking distance for something to eat and drink,thats if I have the location of you site right,someone will confirm but I think its on the left hand side of the road between Esentepe and Bahceli.

If you are out driving for evening meals I would recommend Emily's in Bacheli for good home cooked food,Joya in Kucuk Erenkoy for posh nosh,Zerdali,Tumba,Hati's and Esentepe restaurant for excellent local fare up in the village.

Oldbill1969

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Thanks for the reply, it will be really useful for us to have all this advice before we go, I am not one for spur of the moment decisions and hope through this thread that I will be able to fully plan our 15 day break with places to visit, things to do, places to eat, So please everyone keep all your suggestions coming. Thanks in advance.

Groucho

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

Steve,

In august it's going to be blisteringly hot... so here's some advice about what to bring and what not to bring...

Bring sun hats, shorts and T shirts, swim wear and a pair of flip flops. One warmish top for cool evenings if we ever get one! Sun-tan lotion, I can recommend Ambre Solaire Clear Protect 30 as it's non-greasy and water resistant and best of all, pleasant to apply. If you are prone to insect bites bring some mosquito spray and mat tablets with a plug in. I've been expecting a bad year after all the rain but thankfully Esentepe doesn't appear too bad so far but it's best to be armed with preventatives.

Don't bring too much clothing and then take half of it home unworn... it's almost impossible to pack too little in this heat - you just don't want to wear anything! Plus this leaves plenty of room for things you may want to take home... don't bring cigarettes or booze as they are so cheap here.

Smity

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Try the Golf club Esentepe they do a wonderful Sunday buffet, all ages welcome

Smity

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Try the Golf club Esentepe they do a wonderful Sunday buffet, all ages welcome

Or for a nice veiw the Brother barold harbour just next to the Turist Infomation centre, bets veiw is in the evening when the old fort is illuminatec

flightholiday

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Steve

If visiting Ozancoy then pop past the Five Fingers they have good food including in the evening Pizza Ian and Libby are good hosts and know a lot to tell about the island it's history and inhabitants

In Kyrenia try Niazi's near the Dome Hotel, well known for some authentic Cypriot nosh

You might also want to try Ezic Premier the portions are good, the food quite fresh, the staff as always (anywhere) can vary (always polite) but it does feel a little like an upmarket Turkish Cafeteria style - good value from the last visit and free wifi

Drive a little further into the start of Alsancak and go to Guidos for an Italian that is authentic & quality from a real Italian chef - the owners are a pair of characters with hearts of gold. (If you have a reason to celebrate they will/can do specials I have even heard they imported caviar to request!)

Go to Kantara castle and another day do Salamis and the Royal Tombs. Lots more ideas from others I'm sure.

Tom

Yinglis

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Hi Oldbill , have read your postings on CyprusBB from May where quite a lot of people put a lot of work into giving you up to date info on staying in Zeytinlik , can I ask , why did you opt for Esentepe ? Just curious .....

Oldbill1969

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

We were originally going to go to Zeytinlik, however due to a problem with work we were not able to proceed and didn't think we were going to have our North Cyprus dream. The issue with work has only recently been resolved which means we can now go ahead again.In the interim we have read a lot about the Karpas area and felt it would be esasier to visit this area from Esentepe as well as it being easier to get to Farmagusta. A lot of what we gained info wise will still be put to use but wanted a different perspective from the Esentepe area. Hope that helps and all the tips are greatly appreciated. My apologies if there are any typos as I am posting from my blackberry at my local drinking establishment.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
19/06/2010 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Don't know if it is still the same but the Abbey bell Tower restaurant at Bellapais used to pick you up and take you home again in the evening free of charge. Downside was that you had to wait until they were ready to take you home.

Chris

the butler

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Hi Steve,

Don't worry, you will have a wonderful holiday in Esentepe, as mentioned the Antique Bar and the Pop Inn are within walking distance. There are plenty of restaurants in the area now, as well as up in the village together with a supermarket and butchers up in the village. August will be very hot during the day, so try and keep out of the sun from 10am-4pm. This could make it difficult for a lot of sightseeing but drink plenty of fluids wear a hat and sun protection and you should be ok.

The butlers wife

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 09:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Staying in Esentepe is great but there is a huge hill to walk down and then back up again so unless you do taxis you will need to drive. You can always eat in the village as suggested but I would not advise you walking to The Antique or The Poppin from Esentepe for the reasons given. Stay in the village on non-driving nights, enough restaruants/cafes for at least a week and enjoy the hospitality of Hati, Remzi etc. Have a wonderful holiday.

swannee7

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

You said you were hiring a car for the 2 weeks. May seem obvious, but do ensure you have good air-con in the vehicle, not just a fan cooler. As has been mentioned already, August in Cyprus (north or south!) can be unbearably hot at times so check with your car hire people before you fly out. Also already mentioned is to drink plenty of fluids as you'll be sweating a lot of the time. Visit the nearest supermarket after arrival and stock up with the 5-litre water 'bottles' plus a couple of 2-litres ones. You can decant from large to small, keep 'fridged till needed, and they're easy to tote about. Try not to over-exert yourselves physically between 11 a.m. - 4 pm through trudging/climbing in the heat as for the unwary, heat exhaustion etc., can spoil holiday plans. All the locals have a siesta between 1 & 4 pm so learn from them! Just words of advice. Have a great time as its a fab place.

Oldbill1969

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

Thanks for all your tips and info. Carrie I don't believe that the Villa is in the Village of Esentepe but adjacent to the coast road. I think it is actually on the coast side of the road. We have found previously when holidaying in the South that we bought plenty of small bottles of water which we then froze and used as cooler bars for when we took food out with us, the water would be drunk as we went.

We will definitely try the restaurants that have come recommended

We have booked our car hire with Esentepe Brisk and have confirmed that it is indeed air conditioned. We have also noted that it is better to bring sterling out and change it whilst there which we will do. Are there any venues that do any traditional Turkish Cypriot nights ?

I also believe from other threads on the forum that one of the best beaches is Shayna, is that right?ld you recommend. Thanks again for all your info.

Perry

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Bill

You will have a great time - here are some tips from our experiences:

Have a couple of eveinings in Bellapais - Abbey Bell Tower will pick you up and drop you off for free and lovely restaurant in treetops overlooking Bellapais Abbey - they have refurbished this year as well. Kybele - also in Bellapais in the Abbey grounds is fabulous.

In Kyrenia, try Set Fish - lovely old fish restaurant overlooking castle and harbour. Great Indian - try Refters in Ozankoy - set in an old Olive Grove or Patina in lovely gardens. Further afield Stone Grill, Kervansay Pizza Garden, Ambiance and Address are all great.

You have great beaches near you - Alagadi (Turtle beach) where in August you can see the baby turtles hatching and released most evenings. Lara is also very nice. Then all the sites - St Hilarians castle, Kyrenia castle, the Karpas, Salamis (Roman City), Nicosia, Femagusta and and and. Enjoy the place, the people, the scenery and the sun ! We will be there as well and cannot wait !

jamestalbot

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

HI old Bill1969.

regards car hire you cant't go wrong with Ismail at Aone, anyhow have a good holiday.

James

Perry

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Steve - Shayna is nice - but it is a small beach club. Alagadi is around 1 mile long in 2 bays and is free - but due to the nesting turtles there are no sunbeds, so you need to bring beach chairs, mats etc - the sand get very hot in August ! Lara - a little futher toward Kyrenia (sign posted right off the coast road) has beds and shades. Further afield, Silver Beach by Salamis is very nice, and the ultimate is Golden Bay up on Karpas - but it is a good 2 hour drive.

sarahlou

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

You mentioned a 'family holiday' if you are bringing kids then a Trip to the Acapluco Hotel is a must, their beach is lovely and clean, the food is goo too (kids meals are great value and big enough for a lite adult bite) but the Water Park is fabulous. You pay a reasonable fee for the facilities and i guarantee a great day will be had by all.

For kiddy evening entertainment, the Acapulco has their Mini Disco around 8:30pm and then the animation team put on a show, fire eating, magic, dancing etc..... some of them are really good - others not so great. Beware prices of Cocktails and Drinks though.

Try Lapta Waterpark, it is a little more expensive than the Acapulco to get in but great to combine with a day sight seeing that side of Kyrenia.

A boat trip is a must - if you have small kids then the African Queen is perfect - lots of shade and space but if older then try the Harbour Boat Trip - both offer great food and a fab day out.

Enjoy the holiday - you will love it !!!

Perry

Message Posted:
20/06/2010 23:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Sarah is so right - Acapulco is well worth the fee for the day for the wonderful beach and water park. And on boat trips - last year we went on the Amanda Suzanne (next to the tourist info centre). It was a fantastic day - I think we paid £20 each - including a full bbq lunch and they also kept drinks v cheap at 4 Lire (£1.80) for 1/2 litre bottles of Efes and 2 lire (90p) for soft drinks.. Excellent day.

Groucho

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 07:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Steve,

If you don't have one, get a Nationwide Account and a Debit/Cash card to go with it... then you can use all the cash machines to get Turkish Lira at a good rate of exchange commission free and much safer than carrying shed loads of GBP about.

You can transfer funds into the Nationwide using on-line banking. It works really well. Make sure they don't just give you the 'Cash Card Plus' though as this won't work abroad. You want the Nationwide Debit card.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 13:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Re :Msgs 1 &8,

Good point, Yinglis. Perhaps in a couple of weeks we'll all be ordered to do the itinerary for a fortnight stay in a house in Guzelyurt , or eco-hut in the Troodos.

Oldbill, I suggest that whilst sitting "at your local drinking establishment" with Blackberry you move your finger and make an effort to read at least some information about the places of interest in the area you are going to visit ( or not, as a case may be) and don't treat people as complete fools.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.