North Cyprus Tourist Board - Pidgeons control pest eradication
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Pidgeons control pest eradication

Pidgeons control pest eradication

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

mikemans

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

has anyone dealt with feral pidgeon control at a resort or home. I am led to believe that a law exists that poision bait is forbiddenin TRNC as is killing idgeons. Can bait be purchased in TRNC and under what name. Also I am led to believe that bicarbonate of soda is used to eradicate feral pidgeons. They do bring a multi tude of diseases so whilst I am a wild life caring person, this is a growing problem in TRNC, constructive responses welcomed.

Linnyloos

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

We've tried everything. This time I'm bringing some decoy birds of prey to put on the roof. It may look funny but I'm assured by a pest control guy that this does work so, fingers crossed xx

Will let you know how it goes

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

My neighbour put a model Eagle Owl on his water tank and 2 days later a pigeon was sat on its head. This is true. Another has a model Peregrine Falcon; it worked for 2 weeks and now they completely ignore it, even when he moves it to a new position.

ataturk

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

I have a pest control company in the uk and can tell you that a decoy bird will only work for some time until the pigeons realise its a fake. You can use the plastic spikes which can be purchased on the south but it really depends on where they are perching. Poison is illegal and you need to obtain a special permit for narcotising them. I dont think they sell anything like that here anyway

keithcaley

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 10:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

you need something that moves unpredictably and reflects sunlight so that it flashes

CDs / DVDs particularly double-shiny sided ones are quite good.

I cut them into quarters, attach them at 90 deg intervals around the rotating part of an old castor (offset at 45 deg so that they're like fan blades) and mount the whole thing on twisted (for extra strength) garden wire.

They wave around in a very slight breeze, and turn spasmodically in gusts, quite randomly, which seems enough to keep pigeons et al off balance and deter them.

I'll post a picture when I've got time...

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Shooting, poison etc. are of no value because there will be an immediate influx from surrounding areas to fill the void. The simplest thing is to eliminate the source of food - make sure that nobody nearby is feeding them (as unfortunately many do). However there is always wild food and this you cannot eradicate.

So something like Keith's idea (message 5) is the best you can do - even better if you accompany it with a loud noise occasionally. Try using a catapault to fire a n ice-cube at the roof water tank - it makes a hell of a bang, is too soft to damage it, and doesn't leave rubbish all over the roof. Kid's windmills work (do they still make them - I used to stick them on sandcastles on Blackpool beach) or lengths of string with silver foil tied every foot or so and mounted about 12" above the ridges.

But what ever deterrent you use remember that the pigeon is a canny bird and it will soon learn not to be frightened of something that doesn't actually harm it.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Erm, encourage the feral cat population by feeding them in your garden. We have a neighbour that hates cats (obviously more than pigeons) and he spends every day cleaning up pigeon poo. We do not get pigeons in our garden but not quite sure what to do with the eleven cats that now queue up on the doorstep for their daily munch.

AJ

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Sorry a revised count, 13 this morning. I am sure they all talk to each other and discuss the best places to eat, (much like members on this board).

AJ

Linnyloos

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Right. Will have to start again. Spikes.......here we come!!

Linnyloos

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

Will try your method Keithcaley

keithcaley

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Here's an idea of what it looks like: -

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1021/4720175091_1a864ed7c1_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1012/4720175093_5a8897d172_b.jpg

The top of the wire is bent over a few times to make a tight fit in the castor mounting hole, and the bottom end (4 thicknesses) is formed into an 'eye' so that it can be secured with a screw - in this instance, to the case of an Aircon...

I got the idea from a neighbour who ties DVDs to his fruit trees to keep birds off the fruit - a lump of wood with some DVDs dangling on string(s) works just as well, but looks more unsightly

ataturk

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 14:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

Keith Caley idea does work sometimes I have seen some people use this on balconies in blocks of flats an it does seem to work. Try this first and then see what happens. Not sure where you are getting the pigeons but the spikes would normally go along an edge like a window sill so that pigeons cant land at all. If you have a large area then this would have to have a net installed over it to stop the pigeons from getting into the area.

Linnyloos

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

We have a bungalow and there is a tiled roof area over every window. They are landing on the tiles and nesting behind them. We have already put up chicken wire to stop it but the little blighters have 'trodden' it down to get behind.

We have a never ending cleaning session down each side of every window because of their 'poo'. Their poo is very dangerous to the lungs too so we have to keep paying people to clean it because we are only there 2 or 3 times a year.

Any help would be greatfully accepted.

Linda

ataturk

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Spikes is your best solution here. They can be easily glued on using a good quality silicone

rowlo

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 21:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

ive got an air rifle , and can eradicate them if you want ?

woody

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

so have we and we don't have a problem ! but there is always a pigeon lover around so be carefull

Linnyloos

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 23:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

I don't want to kill anything. I just want to evict them..........permanently !

Jetski

Message Posted:
21/06/2010 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Suprisingly, birds HATE the smell of WD40 - just squirt a bit on their regular perch and they'll be gone.

denizen

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Sorry a revised count, 13 this morning. I am sure they all talk to each other and discuss the best places to eat, (much like members on this board).

AJ

yeah, but are they listened to.

most peoples problems with pigeons stem from them roosting on high parts of buildings. Never seen any roost on the floor, cats or no cats. Unless you're gonna catch the cats and chuck them on the roof, I doubt your method is any good, and you're left with cat poo as well.

When I lived in England a cat came in our garden, pooed, then dug a hole and buried it, clever cat.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 01:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

denizen

Feral cats will go to any lengths to catch birds and quite often can be seen up on our roof. And they will cover their excrement up, unlike dogs and pigeons. I know which I prefer.

Groucho

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 07:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Linnyloos "I don't want to kill anything. I just want to evict them..........permanently !"

Therein lies your problem.

Culling won't work anyway, as mentioned above an influx of replacements will fill the void.

Pigeons don't respond favourably to eviction notices or practices. Unfortunately you will only be rid of them permanently when there is no satisfactory place to roost on your roof. The bird scarer methods only work for a period of time until they become immune even somewhat comfortable with the various devices you implement. So you will need to have variable strategy to keep them on their toes...

If you use a dummy hawk, you must move it often and take it away for a period as soon as the show signs of becoming happy with its presence.

Happy hunting...

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Will rat poison left on the inadvertently left on the roof kill them if eaten?

Or is there anything else more potent?

mikemans

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 09:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Thanks for a lively debate, howeve ur problm is larger, we are Sunise Beach Club ib Bgaz and w hav erecently been invaded by ferl pidgeonon 8 blocks and 10 houses these are a spil from h next door estate calle Sarcon, which has hundreds of pidgeons living in part built properties. It is the law of eradication we need knowledge n a I am led to believe they are protected by some law. If you google in fera pidgeon and look for the disease they bring I am sure you would agree they are inded flying rats. inividual items as suggested whilst helpful and indeed I have 2 plastic owls on my on property, willnot rsolve the problem. If a TRNC goverment employee reads this and has access to a department with some knowledge we would be pleaed to receive any advice offered. Unless the growth is attacked now the population wil double quickly, the damage to property follows with young holiday maker children touching th exrement and putting it in their mouths can lead to blindness and other illness.

Sal1262

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Super soak water gun from ASTRO, works a treat if you sneak up on them resting on a ledge. I introduced it as a game to the kids. They had loads of fun, Alas the blighters don't come near us now. Super soak for is now for sale as they have turned their attentions to grown ups. So be aware when your passing.

TheScarlets

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 09:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

rather poisen the buggers so they don't come back

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Rowlo - message 15 et. al.

If I am preaching to the educated I apologise. But if you not aware then please know that not only must you have a licenced air rifle, but to shoot at any living creature you must be a member of the Hunting Federation - this entails passing a quite complicated exam and then paying an annual fee (quirkily, you are exempted the current year's fee if you can supply the head of 1 fox or 5 corvids). Additionally, there is a season for hunting everything here, including feral pigeons, and tthat season is long since finished this year.

It's not just pigeon lovers you need to worry about - TCs love their hunting and any one of them will report you if you break the laws that are strenuously enforced on them. I am not sure of the rules for death by any other means (I.e. poison) but I cannot imagine any poison that would be taken by pigeons alone and you would probably kill a lot of other species at the same time.

denizen

Message Posted:
22/06/2010 14:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

I read last year that a farmer in UK was plagued by pigeons. He didn't want to harm them so sprayed his field with diluted Lee & Perrins. Says it worked a charm, dunno how much it cost though.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.