North Cyprus Tourist Board - Military Service for TRNC citizens
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Military Service for TRNC citizens

Military Service for TRNC citizens

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 13:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 39 in Discussion

Hello All, I posted the text below as a reply on an earlier thread, but have had no replies, so I've re-posted as a new topic.

We are planning to move permanently to TRNC over the next few years, and are wondering what sort of military service requirements might be expected of our kids in the future, should they eventually become TRNC citizens. Any help as to where to take this enquiry would be greatly appreciated.

My partner, Tara, and her two sons (currently aged 16 and 20) will hopefully be moving from Azerbaijan in late July, and the kids will be attending the American College and GAU. They will apply for temporary residency on arrival. At some point in the future, assuming that they decide to settle in TRNC, all three will apply for full citizenship, and give up their Azerbaijan citizenship.

Depending on my work rotation over the next few years, I'll probably not bother applying for residency at all, and will certainly retain my UK citizenship.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 39 in Discussion

If you or your children become citizens both you and they may become liable to national service.

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 39 in Discussion

Eddie, I am not sure exactly as I have heard conflicting stories but I believe you have to do at least 6 years as a temporary resident before you can apply for citizenship anyway. I have heard everything between 5 and 10 years but the guy who did my wifes residency did say that after 5 years you can apply and get it the next year, maybe someone has better info on that. With that in mind, you will have plenty of time to find out the requirements if you move here.

As for the residency for yourself, if you are oil trash like myself and are working rotation outside of the country for more than 163 days/year you can't apply for residency anyway (officially).

Unofficially, a colleague of mine had to get it regardless of his work rotaion in order to get his wife residency, she is younger than my wife and that was the reasoning as far as I was told.

On a side note, my russian wife's daughter is 16 so we will have to keep the kids apart lol

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 39 in Discussion

Hello Vaughan and Paul - thanks for your replies; we'll find out more details as we settle in, I suppose.

Although my current rotation, in Baku, will mean that I should not be able to apply for residency, even if I want to, I've got a feeling that I may have to try at some point, in order to back up their applications.

Both of the boys have been doing a lot of research on TRNC "talent" on the web, and can't wait to get there!

We've already met a few East/West couples in TRNC - just love all this multi-cultural stuff, and such a shame that I'll hardly ever be there to enjoy it!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Paul,

I may be wrong, but I think that it's 6 years before Permanent RESIDENCY, and 10 (or more?) years before applying for citizenship

Regards,

Keith.

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 39 in Discussion

That would make sense of the different time periods I have heard Kieth.

There are quite a few east/west couples including scots, english, turkish cypriot, azerbahjani, khazak, russian and I am sure many more that we have not had the pleasure of meeting yet.

Which side of the island will you be living east or west?

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 39 in Discussion

We've bought an apartment in Alsancak, and intend to have a good look around before deciding where to buy a villa. I'm sure that the kids will want to be close to the action, whereas I'll be looking for an empty beach. Right now, Alsancak seemed a decent compromise. Where are you living on TRNC?

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 39 in Discussion

Never mind that last question Eddie, I see you have allready been in cantact with Mike and Vinera, we are on the other side but like to catch up with them and a few other couples a couple of times a month. We will hopefully catch up with you all some time in the future.

The girls can waffle away in russian and we can trash talk the oil industry.

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 39 in Discussion

We are in Catalkoy for the moment, might be moving again but it will be hopefully in the same area, Catalkoy, Ozankoy, Dogankoy or maybe even Bellapais.

I prefer it on this side for the villas and so does the wife, the daughter not so much as it is a little quiet but that is only because she can not be bothered to walk 100 metres to catch a dolmus into town.

I would like to get a place next door to my local but the wife seems to think that is a bad idea.

Look forward to meeting you and Tara some time.

If Tara is interested in finding out some insider russian info send me an e-mail and I will give you Luba's e-mail address. They can update each other.

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 39 in Discussion

Hello Paul, my e-mail address is eddie_burt@yahoo.co.uk, and Tara's is tarax2004@hotmail.com.

We met Mike and Vinera briefly a few weeks ago, but we had no time to relax, as we were running all over the island, sorting out utilities, buying furniture, et cetera.

I'll hopefully be over in mid-August, along with my 19-year old daughter; perhaps we can all meet up then?

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 39 in Discussion

I will send you a mail with the details of whats happening with us and pass on Tara's e-mail to Luba.

I think mike and V have gone back to the UK for a while or I am sure he would have made some comments.

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 39 in Discussion

Cheers Paul

malsancak

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 39 in Discussion

msg 5, I think you'll find that for most of us it if FOREVER, for citizenship.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 39 in Discussion

malsancak -

HildySmith

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 17:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 39 in Discussion

When we came here my husband told me I might be called up for military service (he won't as he has already done it in the UK). But I might be and their is no age limited.

W...E...LL.....

Bring it on, as a 63 year old pensioner I look forward to being called up - maybe better off of a camp with 100's of young squaddies than in a villa with one old codger????LOL

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 39 in Discussion

I would worry about becoming a citizen. Did anyone hear the story of Michael Lain, the shed guy?

He was called up for service aged 50 odd !!!!!!!!!! I think he ended up serving for 9 months.

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 39 in Discussion

That's the way folks, a newcomer asks a genuine question with regard to his partners 2 sons and their possibility of requirements for citizenship and we start telling stories we don't know details about.

Michael Lain, the shed guy. That's really not a lot to go on Ballyboffin.

I am sure somebody out there has a bit more relevant information

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 39 in Discussion

Hello All,

No problem - I'll find out all the details later. We will go ahead with our plans, regardless. The lads may end up remaining citizens of Azerbaijan, but at least they will have a chance to get a better University education here, in TRNC, hopefully.

Tried the TRNC Public Information Office website, but can't find my way to the correct linked departmetal web-page. All in good time!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 39 in Discussion

Paul,

What's your problem?

msg1 asked'...wondering what sort of military service requirements might be expected of our kids in the future, should they eventually become TRNC citizens.'

Your msg 3 discussed (without accurate knowledge) everything but...

Your msg6 was mainly irrelevant to the question asked...

Your msgs 8,9,& 11 were TOTALLY irrelevant to the question asked...

HildySmith's msg 15 gave information which was PERSONALLY obtained by them, and could possibly be relevant to the question asked...

Ballyboffin's msg 16 cited a well known and documented case - not 'a story of which we don't know the details' - and a case which could be entirely relevant to a family moving here...

- And yet your reply starts 'That's the way folks' - now forgive me if I'm wrong, but that comes across as SARCASM - if not, then please enlighten me - (THAT was IRONY, by the way )

WHAT was the point of that?

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 39 in Discussion

Time for a close to this thread, I believe. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 39 in Discussion

I do hope that SOME of it has been relevant and informative.

Sorry for the outburst on YOUR thread

Good luck, whatever you decide to do,

Keith.

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 39 in Discussion

Keith, it was sarcasm and the we referred to me as well as others giving minimal information. I actually did write to Eddie by e-mail because it was going off thread and stated that I would.

My message was inaccurate and it started by saying "I'm not sure" so kind of points out inaccuracy.

Actually, I'll stop there Keith, It wasn't intended to be nasty in anyway, I suppose I got carried away with actually having a humorous time on the forum because it seems to be light hearted on here today.

I have no problem except perhaps that people try so hard to find fault on the forum these days that they miss-interpret things in a way that sounds bad when you read it. I am actually getting tired of apologising to people who do that.

Here is a hint that I am slowly learning to do, if something sounds insulting or crass on the first read try and read it again to see if it might have been written in a different way. The smilies from you and LOL from Hildy made me think it was going funny !!!

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 39 in Discussion

No problem at all for me - thanks very much for your kind wishes.

Cheers,

Eddie

andrew4232

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 39 in Discussion

so even if they have to do service whats the problem, it used to be the same in the uk and that did no harm why you worrie ?

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 39 in Discussion

Actually, I didn't say that it would be a problem, or that I was worried. All that I was looking for was information.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 39 in Discussion

Personally I would not be so worried about my son's being called up here, but I would be worried about them being called up in the UK for Afganistan. My son is in the forces and has served 22 years in the British Forces, but I would be more worried about him joining now as a young man than when he joined 22 years ago.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 39 in Discussion

Once you prove that "YOU" had spent more then 7 years in another country and gained the citizenship for that country,"YOU"'ll be given an obtion to BUY you way out of it. ei.pay £2000 and do 4 weeks,at home every weekend and not dong alot whilst there as well.

OR,

IN BLACK AND WHITE;

If you carry dual zitizenship buy your way out and be done with it.

I wish someone told me this before I did mine.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 39 in Discussion

msg 27 cont.;

Forgot to add,

UK born very good friend of mine paid the money (not sure how much it is),did 2 weeks last year and coming over to do the other 2 weeks this year. JOB DONE,NO MORE WORRIES.

HotHippo

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 39 in Discussion

Thanks for the information Yorgozlu, and also to everyone else for their replies.

Cheers,

Eddie

basheer

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 21:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 39 in Discussion

my wife's relative he's about 66 and at the airport he was questioned about military service, he told them what can be achieved by making a 66 yr old join the army,he was lucky to board the plane, but the going is that there is no age limit as long as you are able and only if you are medically sick with dr's letters certiying that,they will do their own medical test to verify that so after 5 yrs if you decide to obtain citizenship the army is a duty,however if you remain a temporary resident you should be okay

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 39 in Discussion

Message 17,

proger1, I thought that with your 5* that you had been there a while. Looking now at your profile, I realise that you aren't.

Living, even part time in Catalkoy you MUST know or have heard of Michael Lain, one of the nicest, kindest guys on the Island. He and his wife take in stray dogs, ducks, donkeys, cats and whatever other sad creatures that are homeless and his poor wife was left to cope with them and the business while he did his service.

Because you are 'Ignorant' of the case, please do not denegrate me for siting it.

proger1

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 39 in Discussion

Ballyboffin, no denegration was intended, I promise.

It was meant to be sarcastic but obviously failed miserably.

I should have written that I had googled Michael Lain, NC and TRNC and even shed guy and all I got was an old 44 thread about someone selling a Michael Lain shed, hence the "not alot to go on"

It was right after joke posts and smilies and humour stories so I assumed it was in the same vein and attempted to follow on with it, you have my apologies.

My 5 stars are because I spend too much time on the forum probably but I have no real life when I am outside NC and it makes me feel more in touch with home but enough about that.

Ironically, I allready know the answer to this question in my case as I served in the british forces and it is a conflict of interest as Hildy mentioned but didn't see that applying in this case so I didn't bring it up, I still get chastised though when I merely mention that more info than what you had written would be helpful, even in jes

keithcaley

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 07:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 39 in Discussion

Paul,

I believe you when you say that it was meant as a joke, - I usually put a 'smiley' after my 'jokes' and 'wry comments' just so that they're not misunderstood...

I sometimes even put smileys when I'm being serious, to try to confuse folk!

I do take your point about reading things twice to see if there could be another meaning - and if you think about it, the same applies when one is actually composing a post; when one writes a 'humorous' comment, it's as well to consider if it can be taken the wrong way... - Quick fix - bung a smiley in!

Anyway, I'm sorry if I upset you by my criticism, I DID intend it as criticism, but I accept that I was mistaken.

I must try to remember that it's only CYBERSPACE, and not get too exited about things...

Best regards,

Keith

proger1

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 07:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 39 in Discussion

Keith, apology not nescessary but appreciated all the same.

You are quite correct about re-reading the post before sending and I have to admit I regularly do this however yesterday was an exception, probably because it seemed to be a fun day and I suppose I got carried away.

The only point I would make is that when writing something, I allready know how it was meant to be understood and without a subjective point of view from the reader I would not be able to realise it can be miss-construde, my mind isn't that smart normally.

Sorry for getting you upset and also to any others I may have upset, I will try harder to make the comments simple and direct. It won't be as much fun but it might avoid such issues.

Just as a follow up to the original comments though, the TC that did the visa's for us definately meant citizenship as I suggested that he meant permanent residency and he told me it was citizenship and a passport.

Haven't chased up on it though so not confirmed.

Paul

HildySmith

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 39 in Discussion

My Mam always told me that:

Sarcasim is the lowest form of wit!!!

proger1

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 08:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 39 in Discussion

Hildy, true, but the second part to the statement that is often forgotten when tring to prove a point is: "but the highest form of intelligence."

Maybe I am hoping soeone will think I am intelligent and then I can prove my teachers, instructors, professors and bosses that I am intelligent. Wait a minute, I am starting to see a pattern here, I may be the only person who realises my true intelligence.

Oh well, back to the drawing board

keithcaley

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 08:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 39 in Discussion

HildySmith,

- And the second line of that goes "And if wit was ****, you'd be constipated"

I don't mean YOU, by the way - Honest!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 39 in Discussion

Darn!

Beaten to it, yet again...

proger1

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 39 in Discussion

I think yours is funnier though, hadn't heard that one before.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.