North Cyprus Tourist Board - Olive tree wanted - to make my garden pretty
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Olive tree wanted - to make my garden pretty

Olive tree wanted - to make my garden pretty

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Gardening threads posted so far

BeeKeeper

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 18:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

I'm really keen to give a good home to an unwanted olive tree. Needs to be a decent size and with a good rootbowl. The closer to Kayalar it is, the better.

Thanks in advance if you can help!

Incidentally, I've only got erratic internet access - so if you have news that needs a quick response, I would appreciate a phone call on 0533 8888569

Thanks,

The Beekeeper.

andrew4232

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

all the garden centres sell them

DONTY

Message Posted:
28/06/2010 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

If you are talking about a mature tree I dont think you are going to find an unwanted one as the builders arent doing as much business and those that are are likely to understand a trees value thanks to Olive Tree Rescue which is now no longer in business.

Moving a mature Olive tree involves a JCB at both locations, a flat bed lorry and lots of hard work so get ready to pay.

If you do find one, try to make sure they dont just knock it over and pick it up by the trunk with the JCB bucket as they will scar it for life if not weaken it so bad it never fully recovers. It will also need watering (ideally) for the first few years

You can also get arrested for playing around with fruit trees of any description so be careful (potentially 3 yrs in jail if you kill one).

If you buy a little thing from a garden centre please realise that an Olive tree is slow growing and takes about 100 years for the trunk to reach a diameter of about 30cm to 40cm

MarkVPiazza

Message Posted:
29/06/2010 09:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

In addition to the above, if you find one do not transplant until the autumn when it's cooler.

Also, it wil need LOTS of water for the first couple of years, unless you have a well , I would not recommend a mature tree.

Mark

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.