North Cyprus Tourist Board - Released on Bail in Cyprus, Spy Ring Suspect Vanishes
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Released on Bail in Cyprus, Spy Ring Suspect Vanishes

Released on Bail in Cyprus, Spy Ring Suspect Vanishes

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Groucho

Message Posted:
01/07/2010 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

The eleventh suspected member of a Russian spy ring broken up by the F.B.I. this week has disappeared on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus, where he was arrested but released on bail Tuesday after surrendering his passport.

Late Wednesday, a police spokesman told the Cyprus state news agency that the suspect, Christopher Metsos, 54, had failed to report as required to a precinct in the island’s southwest, where he had been apprehended.

The police obtained a warrant for his arrest and a manhunt was under way.

Mr. Metsos, who is accused of being the spy ring’s paymaster, was arrested early Tuesday at the airport in the southern city of Larnaca as he was about to fly to the Hungarian capital, Budapest.

In a move that dismayed American law enforcement authorities, a local court ordered his release on bail of around $25,000 on the condition that he surrender his passport while arrangements were made for his extradition to the United States.

Groucho

Message Posted:
01/07/2010 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Didn't spot the other thread...

You have to laugh at the idea that giving a spying suspect bail just because you'd taken his passport was a good idea..

You couldn't make it up!

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
01/07/2010 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

In all the best spy movies it is clear that the agent always has about 6 passports with different ID's but the same photo. Don't the RoC cops watch James Bond films?

nareik

Message Posted:
01/07/2010 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

I don't think this has anything to do with incompetence - it's just that RoC needed the cash from the bail forfeiture!

dublinderm

Message Posted:
01/07/2010 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

RoC very buddy buddy with Russia. RoC ruling party are communist - just like the boys in CCCP or whatever they call temselves nowadays.

Nice and handy to let the suspect waltz over the 'border' and conveniently disappear.

I bet the sod was using an Irish passport for this trick as well. One of the group arrested in the US was on an Irish passport issued in Rome.

It seems wherever Brits or Irish go in future, we will ahve to prove we are not Israeli or Russian.

DD

racoonchic

Message Posted:
01/07/2010 20:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

with my little eye i can see uuuuuuuuu

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.