North Cyprus Tourist Board - New El Sabor in Girne has opened....
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > New El Sabor in Girne has opened....

New El Sabor in Girne has opened....

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Groucho

Message Posted:
22/07/2008 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Turn right next to Hadigari Cafe/opposite the entrance to the new Savoy Hotel (amazing doors by the way). Took a look at the menu - seems very good.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
22/07/2008 18:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

same prices as lefcosia ?

Groucho

Message Posted:
22/07/2008 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Did not do a direct comparison on prices not having been to the Lefkosa one (which we really must do) but the prices looked quite reasonable...

Atlas

Message Posted:
23/07/2008 08:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Same prices, same menu, even a few of the excellent waiters have been placed at the Kyrenia restaurant, different quality photographs.

For those who have not tried Sabor, I strongly recommend you do, the brand is without a doubt the best in North Cyprus, at the Lefkosa branch you will need to make a reservation at the weekends as it is always full of expats from South Nicosia and local Cypriots.

For the lazy ones this is just to remind you that Lefkosa Sabor is only 15 - 20 minutes from your Kyrenia area home, even if you only visit once a month and alternate drivers so you can all enjoy the sangria its well worth the visit.

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
25/07/2008 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

went the other evening - great stuff, glad they have opened in Kyrenia - good luck to them, and sure it will be as popular, although setting is not so wonderfuly chilled out!!

littlenige

Message Posted:
25/07/2008 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Nice to see rachel out and about.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Groucho

Message Posted:
25/07/2008 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Yeah by the bins of the Rocks Hotel is hardly the best...

stanley

Message Posted:
30/07/2008 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Had a lovely meal, super tapas and a jug of sangria, what more can you ask for

joandjelly

Message Posted:
04/08/2008 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

We have never been to the one in Lefkosa but went to the new one today at lunchtime and to be honest I was a little disappointed because I have heard such good things about the original.

We ordered 2 white wine spritzers (with soda) and when they came they were very small (in a wine glass) and so I asked for a little more soda. The waiter brought over a tiny bottle of soda and shared it between our 2 glasses. This was fine until we got the bill and found we had been charged 20ytl for the 2 drinks. Now I don't have a problem paying higher prices in nice restaurants but I did think this was outrageous. I told the waiter this and he explained that a glass of wine is 7ytl and then 3ytl for the soda. I still think this is too much bearing in mind you can buy a bottle of Villa Doluca there for 23ytl.

Anyway, on to the food. We were given a selection of bread rolls to dip into oil and balsamic which was really nice. We both chose pasta dishes which were very well priced (at 15ytl for prawns and calamari and 13ytl for chicken and broccoli only slightly more than a spritzer) and were good. I did think mine was a bit heavy on the salt but it was nice. We were offered coffee on the house and chose cappuccino. Unfortunately these were really only hot milk with the merest hint of coffee in them and no froth on top. I couldn't drink mine and if I had been paying for it I would have sent it back.

The setting: is dreadful and they are basically plonked right in the middle of a building site which means that the tables were covered in dust. It would be improved if there was some planting along the top of the wall by the Rocks but this may not be feasible. It is a nice looking restaurant but I think it is still work in progress because the stairs were filthy and had no bannisters. I don't know if this is intentional but they are made of slippery tiles and could be very dangerous. The ladies toilet was pretty dirty and the towel dispenser did not work.

Hopefully all these little issues will be ironed out once the restaurant becomes established. But at the moment I wouldn't rush back for pasta as Pasta Mania has (so far) been far superior. I will try the one in Lefkosa though and would probably go for the Tapas.

Jo

PS towards the end of our meal the power went off and they started up a really noisy generator. Hopefully this is only a stop gap because if you were sitting outside it would be deafening.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
04/08/2008 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Nigel, who is Rachael. She had a go at me because that is not her name!!!!!

Seems you and I have the same acquantence that knows her.

As for joandjelly, good to see a review that does not follow the sheep!!!! Not been to any of their places but I did get an impression that there was a "follow or else" attitude with some of the reviews. Maybe will one day save up and go but at moment bottle of Efes and a doner is my cost limit.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.