North Cyprus Tourist Board - T V Service Suppliers north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > T V Service Suppliers north cyprus

T V Service Suppliers north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

muffin

Message Posted:
03/07/2010 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 55 in Discussion

We are thinking of changing our T V Service to a new supplier due to constant problems with scrambled channels. Does anyone have experience of Orbit Showtime who look good on paper?

steveafc

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 07:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 55 in Discussion

i have had showtime for some while through various suppliers .................one of them came with a card in the box ..it worked fine but £500 a year?? !!!! the others .well the suppliers said it might freeze from time to time.........it WILL freeze ALL the time more like!

Sorry to be so negative but this is my experience and i couldn't recommend it at all.

iceman

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 08:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 55 in Discussion

muffin

If you want to avoid problems with scrambled channels,go with a system that works on a paid smartcard.

One thing important about paid smartcards is they need to be renewed annually (although i heard in the past Showtime cards expiring after 3 or 6 months!!)

Make sure you get your paid smartcard from a reputable dealer you can reach at the end of your subscription period to renew it.

You don't want to end up with a complete system and expired card someone is asking over the top prices to renew...or even worse.. end up with a system you cant find the supplier to renew your card subscription.

Freezing problems described above by steveafc was due to the cards being used in cheaper non official set top boxes and this caused update problems for the cards...resulting in picture freezes..

This is another point to take into consideration...always use official set top boxes with paid smartcards!!

iceman

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 08:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 55 in Discussion

correction to my second sentence above...

smartcards do not need to be renewed (unless the provider is upgrading their cards) but their subscription status does needs to be updated regularly...this is done by making sure payments reach the provider..

Subscription payments sold outside the countries the smart card originates from are usually done annually.

newscoop

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 55 in Discussion

Be aware that Orbit Showtime has lost the premier league for the next three years.

Geoff

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 55 in Discussion

See Iceman and get a SKY system with a nice big dish, Simples!

Geoff

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 55 in Discussion

Thanks for that 'scoop.

Do you know who has it instead?

iceman

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 55 in Discussion

Gordon

Abu Dhabi Media Company has won the rights for Premier League matches across the Middle East and North Africa from the incumbent holder, Showtime Arabia.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-nets-16314bn-tv-rights-bonanza-1925462.html

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 55 in Discussion

My Digiturk is just fine.

edyee

Message Posted:
04/07/2010 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 55 in Discussion

at the moment, no sub. of abu dahbi sports available in the market ...when it should be available...we ll sub. it for our customers...

Digital Supreme

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 04:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 55 in Discussion

re msg 10

Let's be honest:

You mean you will pay for one legit subscription and hope that you'll be able to keep the channels unscrambled, whist charging many time over for something that isn't yours TO sell and no guarantees ? ...

ataturk

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 05:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 55 in Discussion

Here we go again, how boring. Yes we all know its called card sharing and so do the majority of people who subscribe to it. Do we have to do this all over again

Groucho

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 07:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 55 in Discussion

Ataturk if 'suppliers' (and I use the term loosely) are going to use this board to make promises (as in mess 10) then it's only right that the pitfalls as pointed out by Mark can be heard too...

If they don't want to be taken to task then it's best if they, the ones who cause so much grief to viewers with constantly freezing screens, don't use this board to try and reach their customers...

If somebody was trying to sell stolen cars on here then we'd expect legit car dealers to be able to say "hold on there are problems, these cars are stolen and you can't avail yourself of the normal redress provided by a proper commercial guarantee...."

As it is, I say Mark has every right to pooh-pooh their postings.

ataturk

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 08:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 55 in Discussion

Groucho we are not talking about freezing we are talking about cardsharing. Everybody knows what it is and everybody wants it. The fact that it freezes is mainly down to the internet. Of the companies that supply this type of service two of them Dopi and Digital supreme have been on here when there has been problems and apologised for problems and I cant recall anyone saying that the companies have taken their money and run.

So if we can, please dont go on about this as it is really geting boring as the majority of people are happy with them.

If the internet was better in this country this would be the best option. I have cardsharing running in the UK and it runs seamlessly.

All these so called satellite experts who come on here frequent satellite forums all about cardsharing and there is one particular guy on here who has cardsharing himself but keeps it quiet.

We know what it is, we know you guys dont like it but hey its here and its far cheaper than a 4.2 and £50 a

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 55 in Discussion

Re Msg 8:

Cheers Mus!

proger1

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 08:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 55 in Discussion

muffin, when I moved from UAE to NC I took my showtime decoder card with me, although not strictly legal as I am supposed to be living in Dubai to have the subscription it has been nothing but problems with loss of connection signal.

Ironically, every time I have a problem I call the customer services department in UAE and explain to them I have moved to NC, hoping that they would disconnect me and stop charging me the monthly charge as this would avoid me having to travel back to Dubai purely to cancel the installment. They always resend the connection signal and I am back running again even though it is not strictly legal.

In escence, I would not recommend OSN as it is expensive but not very good at least in my experience, it might be because I rarely use it that it always needs to be reconnected but it should not be an issue for the price I am paying to have what used to be a very good system in UAE.

Jefferson

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 55 in Discussion

I hate to show such ignorance,but as an innocent soon to be abroad, WHAT IS CARD SHARING?

Groucho

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 55 in Discussion

Jefferson, simply put - it's theft. Theft from the network whose system is being cloned by card sharing.

Ataturk well I am talking about freezing because that is many people's experience with these card sharing based systems. It's no good quoting your UK experience as this is not the UK and if it keeps freezing it's simply crap.

iceman

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 55 in Discussion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_sharing

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 10:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 55 in Discussion

re msg 14

>>All these so called satellite experts who come on here frequent satellite forums all about cardsharing<<

*I* most certainly do not.. and [again] I was on the Irdeo USERS { as in LEGIT sat tv anti-piracy committee ! ]

If that makes me 'so called' what do you need to qualify as an expert? ;)

Card sharing is without doubt the most 'successful' method of piracy, yet, but if you REALLY knew what you were talking about, then you'd know that that internet speed / latency issues from the data supplier couldn't be the issue...;)

The very success of card sharing means that th sat tv cos and encryption methodologies have to beat the pirates ..

ANYONE investing in such systems needs to be aware of the risks and inconvenience...

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 55 in Discussion

OK: to answer the OP's [ original poster's ] question

What is your requirement ? UK channels or mainly US based material

Do you LIVE here, or is it for occasional use?

These answers will help with better answers for you ;)

muffin

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 55 in Discussion

mmmmmm

Thanks, yes we do live here and are only interested in UK and sports channels.

ataturk

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 55 in Discussion

Groucho theft is Charging people £50 a month for crap tv and pay per view rubbish that you are already paying for, that my friend is theft.

Sky has become the greediest satellite Company and as they dominate the market they can do what they like and charge what they like, that is theft my friend whether. Just because its not illegal doesnt make it legit.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 55 in Discussion

Hi Muffin

If you want UK stuff then it's SKY - the Variety pack from 18 GBP - is good value, andy ou'd be surprised how many UK channels you'd get with a 1.8m dish .

I'd recommend getting a SKY+ unit to time shift . as UK stuff that starts at 9pm means 11pm for you in Cyprus ! [ a SKY + sub doesn't cost extra - if you take the cheapest Sky package ]

As you want sports then you COULD choice the HD Sports option and get all the sports channels in HD - if you have an HD compatible TV and it is 32" or bigger - you will see the difference - and won't WANT to go back to standard definition.

You could go for a 4.2m dish and get BBC1/2 24/7 - many of their sporting events are accessible for FREE via an old SKY Receiver and a well -installed 1.8m dish - ITV 1 is available on a 1.8m dish

OR you can watch UK TV via computer - BBC's iplayer / ITV player / 4oD - using sommething called a Virtual private network - you pay monthly to have a UK IP address - many live feeds not avail :

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 55 in Discussion

OR - and this is new.. I am testing a slingbox solution on a VERY fast uplink to allow folk in CY to view UK TV WITHOUT a dish at all .. it won't be as good quality as a BIG screen in HD. but is isn't bad.. You have your own receiver in the UK and a remote control to change channels - or even record - it is PERFECTLY legal as only YOU can use YOUR receiver - and it is even covered by a UK TV licence

Previously I 'poohpoohed' slingbox as the cost of fast UPLOADing in the UK has been prohibitive for a good QoS connection

http://uk.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox

Obviously the 4.2m is THE best solution.. a 1.8m is next best and if you don't want / can't have such dishes, then the slingbox solution is looking good .

Ataturk: for SURE SKY are expensive - compared to pirate prices - but they have more HD then anyone else, and they are the 'home' provider..

Most folks forget that many channels are FREE via the SKY system

proger1

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 55 in Discussion

So good to have the input back Mark

proger1

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 55 in Discussion

Mark, is there anywhere I can get a listing of the possible FTA channels on a 1.8 dish for Sky. I googled but it comes up with 240 and I am pretty sure it isn't that much.

ataturk

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 55 in Discussion

Hi Mark Sky UK do not have more HD channels than anyone else. Sky italia although part of the same group have loads more as well as canal plus and sky sport Germany.

I currently get over a 100 hd channels without counting the Sky Uk ones but in all honesty for what it is I dont think Sky Uk is all that and with the little football they show I dont really know what the point is imho.

With regards to the slingbox I know someone who has tried this when they first came out and again it really depends on the internet which is inconsistent or consistently inconsistent. The picture quality as you say is quite poor and I dont think its worth the trouble.

Groucho

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 55 in Discussion

Ataturk,

"theft is Charging people £50 a month for crap TV" A very woolly interpretation of theft.

Customers are free to choose to pay for SKY or stick to terrestrial TV. If they don't like their product why would anyone subscribe?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 55 in Discussion

Hi Ataturk

1/ Slingbox.. if you check my history - esp the earliest times you'll find I said the same thing - but the important thing is the UPLOAD end and things have got far better ! Even on a 500kps hi contended, shared access internet connect the picture quality is quite good - we can gurantee a 2 Mps feed which is good enough to watch on a big screen !

2/ HD : We are talking UK content on THIS thread ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2010 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 55 in Discussion

Let me add.. this product is in testing - has been for five weeks.. I won't 'push' it until I have tested the system HARD..

muffin

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 55 in Discussion

mmmmmm

Many thanks for your helpful information. Sky seems to be the option for us ( we do have a Sky box which we brought out from the UK).

Next question - who can we get to supply this to us and approx what cost?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 55 in Discussion

Hi Muffin

I recommend ICEMAN ( http://www.skycyprus.com ) - he isn't always the cheapest, some say, but you KNOW he will be around and my friends in the biz call him for advice when they are stuck !

ataturk

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 55 in Discussion

Message 29 unfortunately in the UK there is no choice like you say. "customers are free to choose Sky tv or terrestrial tv" thats a brilliant choice. That is why in North Cyprus given the choice of Sky, Dopi or Card sharing hardly anyone picks sky. Its not as easy as if they dont like their product they wont subscribe.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 55 in Discussion

Ataturk, I am surprised at your lack of knowledge of the LEGIT choice available in the UK

1/ Those with cable access can get Virgin Media's service with a 'SKY + HD variant'

2/ Those with a BT broadband service and Terrestrial Digital coverage have BT Vision

3/ There is a pay TV option for Terrestrial digital

Ofcom has pushed for SKY's sporting content to be available to competitors

Or one can simply watch a SIZEABLE number of free digital channels on Freeview or via an old SKY receiver - no sub needed

Expat Turks, Greeks, Cypriots, Russians et al can view their channels via a selection of satellites and even obtain subscription cards in the same way SKY viewers watch SKY outside UK / Ireland

One can use the internet to use http://www.tvcatchup.com or similar ( if in the UK )

Then there is the card sharing [piracy ] option, but you know this is a criminal offence in the UK, right ?

So, there are lots of legit options in the UK.. I guess not many folk kno

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 55 in Discussion

I guess not many folk know/ knew that ! ;)

ataturk

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 55 in Discussion

Mark these options all add up to the same thing, Sky controls the channels hence they can dictate the prices. have a look at virgins prices and compare. Plus Hd channels not available at the moment. Freeview does not include any premium channels nor any premiership football and in all honesty freeview is a few channels and then lots of mediocre channels to bumf it up.

If you want anyhting similar to what sky broadcast than you have to pay sky (high prices). So much for choice.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 55 in Discussion

I'm sorry, but that's not the case

1/ Freeview -(ariel) Freesat ( sat dish) 50 digital TV channels and 24 radio stations with no subscription. ( Sky don't 'control' anything other than SKY News and SKY 3 ( Freesat from SKY cost 20GBP for a card valid for 3 years)

http://www.freeview.co.uk/Channels

Premiereship / Championship football - available via Match of the Day / FA cup on ITV

2 / Virgin / BT Vision have the ability to allow on demand features of BBC iplayer, etc via TV - a GREAT feature .. I tend to use the BT vision boxmore than SKY

3/ SKY only dictate some SPORTS - ESPN is available via Virgin / BT Vision / Topup TV

SkY sports 1/2 available via BT Vision

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayCategory.do?categoryId=CON-TV-I&s_cid=con_ppc_maxus_vidSP4_Vision&vendorid=SP4

4/ No HD channels available ?

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/tv/channels/index.html - check the HD channels available

BT Vision allows viewing o

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/07/2010 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 55 in Discussion

(cont) BT Vision allows viewing of HD Movies on pay per view

I think that's plenty of choice..

ataturk

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 08:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 55 in Discussion

Sky have the say on the latest films that come out and the majority of live sport is dominated by them so no that is not plenty of choice. What you have mentioned is a different market altogether, where there is a limited choice of premium channels and sport and the chennels are only slightly better than freeview. If you look at the stats sky uk dominates the market share and has now moved into broadband and telephone services, it controls the price of channels to Virgin and is holding back on the interactive for the sports channels as well.

But if you think thats plenty of choice I wont argue with you as we have a differnet opinion of what choice is.

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 08:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 55 in Discussion

I've just made my way through the whole thread, some interesting points.

For mmmmm..........', and the others against card sharing, would I be correct in assuming that you guys are also completely opposed to and would never buy cd's or films from the shops here as they are mostly downloaded illegitimately. Treking over to the south and paying full price evertime an album or a film u like comes out must be a trek.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 09:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 55 in Discussion

re 40

Ataturk. you originally said "in the UK there is no choice " - I have demonstrated that there were many options, SKY, BT Vision, Virgin Media, TopupTV as pay tv cos, and Freeview/ Freesat and the various catchup services ( e.g iplayer)

Sure our versions of 'no choice' must be different.... ;)

For sure, SKY dominate the pay tv market and offer more channels - but good 'ol Ofcom is levelling the playing field ;)

Groucho

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 55 in Discussion

Goonerboy,

Would you be happy if the downloaded CD's DVD's kept freezing? Because that's the problem.

proger1

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 55 in Discussion

Considering the original question was about Orbit showtime and its merits or lack thereof, I am really unsure how we got to copied CD's and DVD's.

OK, I am not unsure because I have read the threads but what I am trying to get at is, and remember he has just come back from a ban but Mark is giving accurate advice and ataturk is questioning it as in a debate which is fine but is it really necessary to turn it into an I am holier than though arguement.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 10:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 55 in Discussion

Goonerboy.

re 41 Simple answer .. NO.. I wouldn't ./ haven't !

This pc has a legit Win7 licence and a legit Office 2007 one ... no 'dodgy' s/w ....I buy CDs and don't download Music..

I *have* ( in the past) copied some old LPs onto tapes / CDs - for my private use ..

Card sharing companies' are paying for something ONCE and selling it - for profit - many times over - pure piracy ...

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 55 in Discussion

Proger, it was a simple question....

"Card sharing companies' are paying for something ONCE and selling it - for profit - many times over - pure piracy ... "

similarly are all the dvd stores in Girne and where ever else, who are downloading and not purchasing, then selling games, music etc.... many times over for profit.

Both services are available to customers...the soo called legit route and the cheaper alternative.

Whilst there is a disparty in disposable income, both services will continue to maintain their respective customers....and here endith the debate.

Its all about money, those than can afford to pay for showtime/art/sky etc... will continue to do so, those who can't or those who are happy to save money use an alternative serive, will always do so.

As for the complaints, its always good to hear both complaints and positives.

I guess the only issue is, we haven't heard a positive on dopi for a while.

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 55 in Discussion

that said digital supreme do offer a good service currently, with no real freezing to speak of as such.

Those selling original cards also offer a reliable service, question is would you rather pay £800-£1,000 + a year for all the channels and packages available or 50lira a month.

THe choice is yours!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 55 in Discussion

Dear Goonerboy

what is in doubt about the company sending the signal getting paid for it...?

OF COURSE dopi / ds , et are cheaper.. they AREN'T paying for the content rights / leasing the satellite that broadcasts / paying for the uplink !

If yo buy a counterfeit DVD you know it *might* go wrong and you probably won't get your money back..

Certain pirate cos are passing themselves off AS legit and - as we see - don't have control of all the facilities to ensure a clear unencrypted signal is going to be reliably received and aren't around when things go wrong..

So what we have here is cost v risk.. Pirates sometimes get jailed / fined / punished by losing their kit -or ability to function - but normally it is the clients that lose out.

BTW -For example if you want SKY Sports in HD in would cost c.600 GBP and c. 500 GBP without HD - If you just want entertainment ( no HD) it is less than 240 GBP annually

zerochlor

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 55 in Discussion

well im still so very happy with http://www.filmon.com

no freezing. now got the cracked version,so no subscriptions,even though if you wanted to pay its only $115 per year,or there abouts.

All the english tv you could wish for and live.

ataturk

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 55 in Discussion

Careful Zerochlor thats illegal and you will get the plastic policeman along in a minute to tick you off. As though you and I dont know these things are illegal. Before we were able to download music and videos the cost of DVDs were extorniate.Now that the entertainment industry has realised that piracy has affected them they have reduced the prices considerably.

They have had their way for too long and now they have had to eat humble pie and reduce prices. Hopefully the satellite companies realise that they also have competition with the likes of card sharing and reduce their prices.

Dont steal as the big companies hate competition.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 55 in Discussion

Dear Ataturk, did the irony of ZC hacking a hack not dawn on you ;)

SURE - ppl like to get things for nought - but even pirates have to make a profit.. ;)

Music: in case you hadn't noticed the R&A budgets to find new bands have been slashed and very few 'popstars' appear in the rich lists, now ...

It is a dangerous time when it isn't worthwhile creating something as too many folk will STEAL it..

sat TV: what will there be TO hack / card share if the subscription companies give up..

Please name me 5 sat TV companies who are so greedy they made money over the last five years...

You won't be able to..

ataturk

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 55 in Discussion

Cant name five thats because theyve got the monopoly mate

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 02:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 55 in Discussion

I meant world-wide - not just UK.. sorry !

ataturk

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 55 in Discussion

Lets see BSKYB owns or has shares in Sky UK, SKy Italia, Sky Deustchland, Sky Germany, Sky Ireland and many joint ventures in th USA, Australia and other major countries. SO lets see who does that leave errrr no one. Hence thats why Sky were investigated so as not to monopolise the market but thats seems to be a bit too late.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 55 in Discussion

Ahem

There are plenty of other markets with Sat tv, and you said the sat tv cos were greedy.. so I repeat.. find me five that are making a profit .. you WON't be able to

So your 'justification' for piracy is .......

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.