North Cyprus Tourist Board - Shipping Insurance for a container
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Shipping Insurance for a container

Shipping Insurance for a container

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

judyr

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 19:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Can anyone give me any advice regarding insurance. We will be sending our goods with Jo Valentine in the next couple of weeks but cannot decide what to do about insurance. It seems to me that even though it is for peace of mind it seems very expensive. Besides the really valuable items, photos and momentos are irreplaceable anyway. What is the general consensus and how many times have containers gone missing?

judyr

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

has noone any advice to give me?

keithcaley

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

I asked my shipping agent if the containers were waterproof - I was concerned about them being on a ship's deck, and the contents being subjected to sea salt spray... - he said "Oh, don't worry, the containers are absolutely waterproof.... right up until the point where the ship sinks, that is"

A few weeks later, one of the ships did sink, a lot of the containers went to the bottom, a few floated ashore - member TRNCVaughan spotted some of them off Esentepe, carrying people's belongings, hopes, treasures and memories....

Fortunately, my container wasn't on that ship!

Do you still need advice?

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
07/07/2010 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

A ship went down 2-3 years ago en route to TRNC, lots of containers with household goods were lost. Lots of people without any insurance... I've never heard how they got on trying to take action against the shipping line.

The more common scenario is goods being damaged or lost (shared containers) in transit. Insurance will allow you to claim for these but make sure you understand the terms and conditions of claiming. Frequently, you have to claim within a short period of time after delivery of the goods to your new home. In our case, we didn't manage to open all the boxes within that time. Luckily, only a few things of little monetary value were damaged.

Only you can decide what to do.

bridie

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 07:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

If you value your possessions, then insure. If not leave them behind and start again. We had three containers missing for six months many years ago, a nightmare, but they were insured, and eventually turned up and all the contents were unharmed.

juliamoons

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 07:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Each container is sealed an only opened again when it reaches it's destination. My container turned up in excellent condition. Absolutely nothing was broken. But I think that was because it had been packed so well. My car also turned up without a scratch on it. I used Dolphin who I thought were excellent. I paid a fortune for insurance which was completely unnecessary. I do remember Dolphin II sinking in bad weather on route here, think it was Nov/Dec 2007.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 07:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Accidents happen, fact!

Why do we take out insurance for car, house, health, personal accident etc. Think of all those fools that do not take out holiday insurance and then have to find tens of thousands of pounds after falling off motor bike or falling ill and then needing repatriation.

Personal items are obviously irreplaceable but what about the thousands of pounds worth of household items, can you afford to replace them if container ends up at bottom of Med.? If answer is yes ,then do not bother with insurance. Otherwise do what 99% of people who prefer not to take the risk do.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.