North Cyprus Tourist Board - Turkish key constitutional reforms annulled by court
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Turkish key constitutional reforms annulled by court

Turkish key constitutional reforms annulled by court

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 02:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10547710.stm

"The ruling AKP says the reforms are necessary if Turkey is to join the EU.

It accuses the Constitutional Court of exceeding its authority.

But the nationalist opposition and senior judges are against measures they say would threaten the independence of the courts."

Who is right ?

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 07:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

6m's:

This is only how I see the situation:

When viewed from an EU perspective, even though the judiciary seem to be setting Turkey back and 'cocking a snoot' to Bruxelles, secularism must be preserved, otherwise AKP will influence the population towards more radical Islamist tendencies.

What has happened to the Generals who were suddenly arrested? I am surprised that the military seems to have let AKP get away with such provocative action!

How do you see it all, Mark?

elko2

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Neither Turkey really wants to join EU nor they want to accept her in. So the name of the game is to reduce the role of the army in the running of the country. I support AKP for many vital reforms but I am happy to eep politics out of the judiciary. So the constitutional court has struck the right balance.

ismet

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

elko2/Msg3: 'So the constitutional court has struck the right balance.'

Obviously not in the 'eyes' of Bruxelles, who don't seem to have any idea, or knowledge, as to the realty of the complexities involved in Turkish society as a whole - not just the 'civilised' west.

If the Turkish military and the judiciary [constitutional court] do not continue to maintain a reasonable balance of secularism, Turkey could easily and swiftly degenerate into another Iraq.

EU is realising that she cannot trust Russia, she will need Turkey more than Turkey needs EU - especially regarding the [urgent] gas pipeline connection necessity.

Troodo

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 10:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

The constitutional court is right, the EU now run the UK courts. The UK might as well close them all down, now that would save money. Remember the Orams case, that was a dictate from the EU.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 10:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Re re 2

Hi Tenakoutou !

I don't know enough about TR politics to judge !

I wanted the opinions of folk who might ..

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Re : Msg1,

"The ruling AKP says the reforms are necessary if Turkey is to join the EU.

Dear Mx6,

What AKP "says" is just an excuse for them , has nothing to do with EU , as EU has always supported and is supporting a secular foundation in Turkey.

In fact EU is very much concerned about increasingly religious and Islamic stance of the current administration and is very much aware that they haven't got a slightest intention of joining the EU, vice versa - campaigning against it.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.