North Cyprus Tourist Board - It must be a busy tourist season in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > It must be a busy tourist season in North Cyprus

It must be a busy tourist season in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

mackerel

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 06:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

The number of tourists must be up as it is nearly impossible to find a villa for rent during the second week of August.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 07:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

They'll have to get here first - oh, and then be certain they can fly home again!

Dixie Normus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 08:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

Rentals are hard to come by now that the locals have realised they only need to pay a deposit and one months rent to secure free accomodation, elec and water for the next five years, a situation encouraged by rogue agents.

D.N

proger1

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 08:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

I also got told last year when looking for a rental villa that there are quite a few permanent residents who like to stay in Apartments during the winter and villas during the summer and they will have the inside info on the best and available deals.

Not sure how accurate it is but it does make a little sense.

What area are you looking for, what size villa and for how long?

Paul

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 09:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

Dixie Normus/Msg3: 'a situation encouraged by rogue agents.'

...........who, after all, are only helping out their relatives and friends at the expense of a few [unwanted] foreigners!

Lilli

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

where are they all then x

mackerel

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 11:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

Paul

thanks for that but I have now got sorted.

billyboy1

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

I know of a 2 bedroom apartment in lapta with communal pool that is available from 8th august thru to 24th august...

Had booked it myself, but unfortunately I will not be able to use it, the owner is looking for someone else to rent and then I may be able to get a part refund...

double bedrrom

twin bedroom and i believe there is a sofa bed in lounge also

get in touch if interested

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

msg 6. They are not in the South. Cyprus Mail reports a fall of 5.1 per cent in Britih tourists in June but a 5.5 increase in Russian tourists. The explanation "could be the World Cup Final".

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that the majority of people termed tourists take package tours and apart from out of the way places like South America they normally stay in hotels. Most of the TRNC hotels have space.

Many travellers who stay in villas or the like tend not to help the country they are stayting in as the profits often stay in the villa owners country, apart from tax. It's a pity as the TRNC economy needs the spend.

the butler

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 17:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

Hi Cyprusquest,

I don't understand what you mean by this statement. I own a villa which I rent out and my renters have to hire a car, which they have to put petrol in. They have to shop for food in the local supermarkets, they go to local restaurants to eat and for entertainment. They travel to see the local sights. Most people who stay in hotels, especially in Kyrenia don't do any of these things but stay in the hotel for their entire holiday. So who would be putting the most money into the local eceonomy?

The butlers wife

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 18:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

The Butlers wife. With respect; the same applies to both the hotel guests as to the villa guests in all the spending you have mentioned. It is worth remembering that fuel (road, gas and electic) and many other things are often subsidised by Turkey.

The hotelier has to pay local wages and taxation for more than "housekeeping" staff, they also have commercial rates let alone that their profit comes to the island (most villa rental is paid in the UK and only costs transferred to TRNC at best). Should the hotelier make a profit then he is due to pay taxation locally too.

proger1

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

Swings and roundabouts really, you forgot to mention the prices that you apy to the local government in order to own and keep the house. Electricity, water, gas, taxes, rates. Not to mention that when they want to go to a beach they also have to pay the same hotel that the hotel tourists get for free.

Sorry Cyprusquest, in theory I understand your statement but in reality, how much of the money the hotel takes do you think goes back into the countries economy. Big business wants big profit. Small landlord wants small profit.

the butler

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

I agree with proger1 on all his statements, the government also gets 10% rental tax from me. Our complex employs pool cleaners and gardeners plus a management company all locals who pay their taxes. Their wages are paid out of our service charges. So plenty of money going into the economy there.

The butlers wife

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

I know you feel hard done by but the houses you own are your own (hopefully) forever, the hotels are often rented and offer a lot more facilities than your home. The hotels have to have insurances for public liability etc etc and I am sure they are spending far more on their staff etc than you do yet you probably charge about the same as they do per bed night. You have not addressd my point about the profits and where they stay let alone do you pay tax on them (not the 10% which I did mention in message 10).

My point still stands that tourists are not the same as your house guests in many ways and tourists do spend more even if it is just down to most of them not being self catering etc. I am not begrudging you your guests but I am saying that the tourism is down not just in Cyprus but in many other places too.

the butler

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

Cyprusquest,

I am sure that if people wanted to stay in hotels in the TRNC they would do. Families with children prefer the freedom of self catering because they can please themselves what they do and when they eat etc. I should point out that as well as paying 10% rental tax on my property in the TRNC, I also have to pay tax in the UK for the rental income received. A lot of people find this hard to believe but it is true. So for expats it is double taxation and none of the perks that hotel keepers get.

The butlers wife

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

Personally I think the fall in tourism relates to the fall in property purchase. I remember staying in Pia Bella and nearly all the guests I spoke to had come to look at property purchase or overlook the progress of property already being built.

However I thought the rental market would be much improved as many now seem to rent rather than buy.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 23:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

bradus is spot on

hotels are too expensive and rip off merchants everywhere.

people wont commit to buying while the north is in shambles at the momewnt and the south is not

half laughing

Lilli

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

until the rissians move in as that seems to be the target market x

girne 29

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

Bradus message 17

Agree, thats where we stayed often while waiting for our property,However a lot of people rented while waiting so people no longer buying has an affect on both sectors.

I think the lack of trying to encourage tourists to come, and worse ,to come back,was probably down to a complacency brought about by the authorities confusing those that came for property reasons with genuine tourists.

Even on this forum ,how many times when someone complained about a beach or litter or being ripped off,was the refrain 'if you dont like it ,go back to, or stay in , Europe.' Not surprising then when tourists oblige.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

Some joker once quipped:

'Aircraft flying to Cyprus should ALL be fitted with louvre windows, so that the passengers can throw their wallets out [over Ercan, Larnaca or Paphos] airports and request that their captains do not land, but rather return to the departure destination for the reason that they ALL know that foreigners are NOT welcome in Cyprus - only their money!'

Debra-Jayne

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

Park Lane Bungalows Alsancak Northern Cyprus

we have a couple of rooms for the dates we have only really just started to advertise we are a small complex of 16 basic rooms with twin or double beds small kitchenet with fridge kettle no cooker set around the pool so all room have a pool view and mountain view web site is ....www.parklanecyprus.com

Tele : 0392 821 25 49-50-51

email : parklanecyprus@hotmail.com

Web : http://www.parklanecyprus.com

Facebook : parklane_bungalows@yahoo.com

Hector

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

D-J

I've visited your website, you don't mention prices or availability. Just a thought.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.