North Cyprus Tourist Board - Wow first time I not got bitten
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Wow first time I not got bitten

Wow first time I not got bitten

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Chelpet

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 08:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

I would like to send a personal thank you to Nurse Awful for her excellant advice regarding bite advoidance, have just returned for a fortnight in NC and only got bitten once due to my error, I faithfully followed her advise as follows and had a troublefree holiday.

I started to take vitimin B complex a week before coming out and continued to take them during my stay, plus always used "Jungle Formula" spray on any exposed skin, always sprayed bedroom one hour before going to bed, always had fan on in bedroom, and used the electricaly heated tablets I think they were the "Raid" ones.

The only time I got bitten was when we went out to friends who have a villa with a very mature garden, with quite dense foliage, and I forgot to Deet myself up that night, down to me.

So thanks again as I normally end up at the chemists after 3 days getting an antihistimine jab in the bum, not this time.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

I took the B1 tablets for 1 week and used the Avon skin so soft during 2 weeks in Turkey recently, no bites whatsoever and usually get bitten on my legs and arms.

RachB

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

I used Avon skin so soft and didn't get bitten once in 10 days either - though I don't usually get bitten much anyway, I must taste funny!

Chelpet

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

We took 4 bottles of Avon So Soft for a friend of ours out there, as it was only £5.00 for two bottles here, but never used used it although she said it helped with insect bites.

Aysesdaddy

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Could you tell me if it is vitamin B1 or Vitamin B Complex that you should take, or are they the same?

phylray

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

I only use Avon Skin so soft and hardly ever get bitten, even when I forget it. I used to be eaten

alive with them when I first went to work in Istanbul. 2nd year not so much and 3rd year not at all

though I didn't use anything then. I eat mainly local food when am in Cyprus, including garlic and

olives. Don't know if this helps at all?

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Msg 5, I don't know the difference but I buy Vitamin B1 from the local chemists here and it does the trick for me.

I tend also to use the anti bite sprays here ie sinkov, the locals use this and I find it tends not to be oily which suits me because if you sweat (or perspire) in this heat then put on an anti bite which seems a little oily, you will sweat even more.

The fan is wonderful as mossies hate air turbulence.

If you live here, it may be worth investing in some fly screens, if only for your bedroom and ensuite. I spray the room with all the doors and windows shut then leave it for an hour after which I will open all the windows but keep the door closed to cool the room down. The only thing I occassionally get caught out by is the sandflies, those nifty little devils do have a habit of getting through my screens but there are some screens around that apparently they cannot get through.

Chelpet

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Msg 5 it was vitimin B Complex, I buy them off the internet from Healthcare I think they are based in Guernsey

nurseawful

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Message 1,

Glad it all worked for you, continue on the Vitamin B complex throughout the summer and you will remain bite free.

Chris

booitsme

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Ayresdaddy - vitamin B1 is also known as thiamine and you take either 1 x 50mg or 1 x 100mg tablet daily. It is only one of the "B" vitamins. Vitamin B Complex or Vitamin B Co Strong contain all the B vitamins but not in such high doses. When I worked in retail and hospital pharmacy we always recommended Thiamine (B1) to people who get badly bitten and I use it myself during the summer months. It works a treat and on the odd occasion I do get bitten they're only small as the mozzies don't seem to like the taste

Aysesdaddy

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 00:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Thanks everyone. Its my wife who gets bitten every summer when we are over on holiday. Last year she took garlic capsules and skin so soft but they didnt work for her. Will try the vitamin B complex or B1 and someone told her to try the lemon cologne as well. Here's hoping!!

suzi1951

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 01:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

I am off to buy vit B complex tomorrow as we come out next week. Mossies usually like my sweet Scottish blood - and no, it is not the whisky flavour they are after as I don't drink! (alcohol)

nurseawful

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 01:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Suzi,

Best if you use a spray as well, hubby used to get eaten alive by the mighty midge until he started using Jungle formula which comes in a spray, lotion or roll-on. Works great against the mossy along with the Vitamin B complex.

Chris

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 07:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

I think this summer has been very strange, have so far hardly seen a mossie or sand fly. Other half normally gets bitten whatever she tries but so far no problems. Has not even had the fly net on over night which over last 5 summers has been essential.

No doubt we will pay for it somehwere down the line. So whatever, do not get complacent and keep up the treatments of lotions and potions and keep your selves safe

Groucho

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 07:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

I know what you mean David, it's most odd.. after all that winter rain we were steeling ourselves for the worst, knowing that mossies just love wet conditions to breed in.

Only time I've been bitten this year was when we spent an evening on recently mown and watered grass at The Lodge, Catalkoy and I'd forgotten to spray-up.... doh!

Grass, what's all that about then? It is well kept but the question is... why?

Chelpet

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Sorry regarding my reply on message 8 my drug supplier is "Healthspan" not healthcare, apart from shady corner on housing estates, they can found on the internet as I said they are based in Guernsey and are fairly cheap compared to high st health shops.

Peter

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.