North Cyprus Tourist Board - If the Law won't protect us...
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > If the Law won't protect us...

If the Law won't protect us...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 71 in Discussion

Posts removed at originators request for ammendment

Simbas

Garythegeezer

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 71 in Discussion

We sold our Villa a few months back. I miss having it and it will feel very strange coming back to TRNC and staying in someone elses place, especially when we drive past our old place :(

We sold for a mix of reasons, finances, the TRNC property situation and simply because someone made a reasonable offer.

We very much still like the Country, despite its problems, and will be back out later this year.

The UK is certainly not without its problems and the grass is not always greener elsewhere. I hope that one day the TRNC can get its act together so that its long suffering people can enjoy the same standard of living that we in the UK take for granted.

Here's dreaming.

Gtg

Troodo

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 71 in Discussion

Unfortunately, TC's are their own worst enemy.

Patientia est a donum superum

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 71 in Discussion

Thanks Simbas,

I'll try again!

newlad

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 71 in Discussion

Hi Sue,

Nice to meet up,hope you are well,

Paul.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 71 in Discussion

Just sold my apartment in the TRNC and have very mixed emotions so thought that it would be therapeutic to describe my thoughts and feelings and share my experience with buyers old and new.

I will certainly miss my holiday home. Unlike many that have bought in the TRNC I had a superb builder, an apartment impressive in its design, extremely well built and the site well maintained. We used the home at least 4 times a year and other family members also had many enjoyable stays there too. In truth I would never have sold if I had received my PTP which would have allowed the transfer of Title Deeds and made us the legal owners of a property we had paid in full for and in good faith.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 71 in Discussion

There had been some warnings shortly after our contract was signed that purchasers buying Pre 74 Turkish Title Deeds were not being given PTP on this particular Title Deed but as is often the case these were put down to being rumours and there appeared to be many people stating on this and other forums that they had just received their deeds which we were assured were Pre 74. . I was reassured and told not to listen to the rumour mill. The common reason for refusal was always given as being situated near a military base so, having done extensive research to eliminate this risk and receiving the following advice from our advocate we went ahead feeling more secure.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 71 in Discussion

Dear ….,

There are a number of reasons why a purchase permit can be refused:

• Criminal record of the purchaser

• If the land is more than 1 donum

• If the property is based near army bases

• If the purchaser has already transferred title deed of another property into their name

None of the above factors exist for your purchase as we verified all these before advising you to sign contracts. Therefore there are no grounds for your applications to be refused.

I also checked with the Interior Ministry and the Military who stated that there was no law preventing foreigners from buying Pre 74 Turkish Title deeds.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 71 in Discussion

Four years later and we were still dismayed that we had no confirmation that PTP had been granted. Enquiries met with the usual response of it still being with the military. Finally we were informed by telephone that it had been refused. Initially we were told that it was because of its proximity to an army base. Knowing that this was untrue we enquired about how to appeal. We discovered that there was an actual appeals mechanism but even if we went to court and won the appeal the final decision for granting PTP would still be left with the military and the court decision cannot override this ruling. So basically it was a waste of time and money.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 71 in Discussion

Our advocate did however manage to challenge the objection and prove that we were not within the required radius of an army base but the decision was still refused by simply changing the army base ruling to us now being on “restricted land”

Restricted land it turns out is basically any land that the TRNC does not wish to give PTP for. They do not have to give you a reason for their decision. You can see that PTP is certainly not just a formality as the estate agents would have you believe.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 71 in Discussion

We then sought help and advice from the HBPG who by now had recognised this as a major problem for Pre 74 purchasers. We did the usual form filling exercises, visiting different departments to discuss our case and soon realised we were getting nowhere. At this stage I decided to contact the British High Commission in Nicosia. I had heard that they were not helpful to those ignoring their warnings about buying in the TRNC but I have to say that they were very supportive. I agreed that they could use my particular experience as a test case to confirm if PTP was being denied to Pre 74 Turkish Title deed owners. Their representative held meetings with the military and the Interior ministry. The outcome was that they then removed the refusal and we were then told it would be reviewed and we would be informed of their decision in the next month.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 71 in Discussion

When this did not happen our representative called a further meeting and was left chasing it up again and again and again. There was never admittance from the TRNC officials that PTP on Pre 74 was being refused to foreign buyers. How could they admit to this? They would be showing the world that they blatantly discriminate. Imagine what it would look like to the rest of the world, “We sell GC property but not our own” However we will still take the foreigners money!

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 71 in Discussion

Left in limbo and fed up of playing a waiting game we decided to vote with our feet and sell up and go. We sold to a TC so that they would not have the same experience as ourselves….they do not need PTP and deeds are transferable almost immediately.

Lots of people have asked why we sold if we were happy with our purchase suggesting that not having deeds is common and that you are safeguarded if your contract is registered.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 71 in Discussion

Simple answer is that there is a matter of principle here. Why should people pay in full and yet never legally own their property? Look at the threads regarding memorandums on properties that have been paid for in full and also the threads on auctioning of properties. This situation has been allowed to happen because for one reason or another, the buyer has been prevented from receiving their title deeds. Reading some of the threads it appears that the law obstructs honest builders from handing them over and does nothing to enforce the dishonest ones to hand them over either. Even if you have an honest builder if he runs into financial difficulty it’s your assets that are at risk too! Anyone that the builder owes money to can put a memorandum on your property whilst ever you do not have the title deeds in your name

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 71 in Discussion

Where are the laws that safeguard purchase? They are sadly lacking and what’s even more evident is the lack of clarity that comes from advocates and the judiciary? Are they familiar with current laws? Do they have a say in their implementation? Surely they would wish to see laws introduced that protect the rights of their clients?

Perhaps not, because then they would be accountable for their actions and omissions and whilst ever this situation continues they are free to work in the same manner as we witness so many developers doing. In short whilst the laws need changing, there also has to be an element of common decency, duty of care to fellow citizens and a display of moral and ethical behaviour. Sadly this is lacking in the TRNC, not from the everyday TC’s but those in power and that are supposed to be the more educated and knowing within their society. The saying that power corrupts certainly appears true.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 71 in Discussion

I hope that things in the TRNC will change and that the construction industry will flourish. Honest, hard working builders like mine deserve to be successful. However judging by the last 5 years performance this looks unlikely to happen. The opportunity to be proactive and intervene when the “Law looks an ass” has been dismissed on so many occasions. The foreign voice it would appear is always unheard. No doubt I will simply be seen as another whinging Brit rather than attempting to make constructive criticism.

When change does come it will be from the very people whose livelihoods are threatened like the estate agents, advocates, builders, restaurant managers and the many others whose jobs are dependent on this market.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 71 in Discussion

Problem is it may well be too little to late by then. Because in all honesty could anyone recommend buying in the TRNC in the current market?

I would but only on a “NO KOCAN, NO MONEY” basis.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 71 in Discussion

Hi Paul,

Nice to meet you too. Hope you enjoyed the remainder of your holiday. It was fun slumming it with Paul and Glenna!!

Wayne and I were pampered by them for the rest of our holiday. Money was in bank waiting when we returned home. So all's well that ends well. No regrets as one of lifes experiences that makes you all the wiser.

Hope to see you again.

newlad

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 71 in Discussion

"Slumming it with Paul and Glenna" must have been really hard for you both,

Paul.

measey

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 71 in Discussion

doom and gloom not into that no comment.

newlad

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 71 in Discussion

What do you mean Keith,

Paul.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 71 in Discussion

Bradus,

well put and shows to some of those that keep going on about doing home work that it is not the answer. In TRNC things change by the day and it is impossible to give 100% proof advice to anyone.

Sorry did not get chance to chat last week, but pleased to have met you both.

David

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 71 in Discussion

Measey,

Would love to have put something more positive on the forum but unfortunately I can only relate the experience I had. Not the sort that can be happy, clappy, if happy clappy things don't happen.

If this makes me a doom and gloom merchant then so be it. My ultimate aim would be to prevent others making the same mistakes and recording the truth so that people can make informed decisions. Knowledge and an awareness of the problems will hopefully prevent even more doom and gloom merchants.

Hector

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 71 in Discussion

Bradus

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am pleased that you have managed to sell to a TC citizen and hopefully got all your money back.

You have carefully laid out the truth of the dangers of buying property in the TRNC. I too have the issue of being refused PTP on pre 74 title having been reassured that getting it was 'a mere formality'.

Whilst the likes of measley with his intelligent, well articulated and multiple evidence based argument to the contrary, may disagree, your experience (and the all too many others) should be heeded by anyone thinking of buying property. It's an outrage that the TRNC government hasn't taken any action to right the wrongs.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 71 in Discussion

Bradus, did you sell via an agent?

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 71 in Discussion

yes I did.

measey

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 71 in Discussion

Bradus. understand your personal reasons but for every Negative there is also lots of positives.

Measey.

cronos

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 71 in Discussion

Measey...msg 27

If you mean that the TRNC has a lot of positives going for it ...climate,scenery,good people etc etc then I'm sure most people would agree.

But none of these positives matters a jot if you are denied the property you have paid for.

If on the other hand you mean that there are more people with a positive experience ( a completed dwelling with full title deeds) than those with a negative then I would suggest that for purchases made since 2006 this is sadly not the case.

If you have had a genuinely positive experience,then congratulations.....but don't encourage others to buy here without fully being aware of the very significant risks.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 71 in Discussion

Bradus. Would you care to name the agent?

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 71 in Discussion

There are a large number of people who have bought with little or no problems. However those with problems will always try to get across the points to people where they can come unstuck. If this sounds negative then so be it, as a personal view I can offer ntohing positive from our buying experince and will give those points whenever asked.

Measey if you think it is wrong to give all the negatives then I am sorry. As of this week I have absolutley nothing positive to say about TRNC and would say to any prospective buyer to go to Mongolia rather than buy here.

As a member of staff said in travel agent to a client on the phone who continually questioned her about the availability of flights, she said if you want me to lie to you about the situation I will, otherwise I can only give the facts!!!

newlad

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 71 in Discussion

Very easy to be upbeat if your experiences have been good (which mine have) but spare a thought ,for all those unfortunate peope,who despite doing exhaustive homework still find themselves having to completeley change their lives.Bradus thought she had a holiday home for life, but decided to sell,as legally she was not the owner.She even had the decency to sell to a Turk Cypriot.Just think before you press those keys please Richard,

Paul.

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 71 in Discussion

Sure, we sold through Abbey Estates and they were very efficient. Buyer had TRNC ID card so it made it a very quick sale.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 71 in Discussion

Thanks very much.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 71 in Discussion

dont care if i never get my deeds bradus was still able to sell and you are only on the planet for so long dont worry about it no one was trying on this side to kick you out of your home where they.

very interesting post from bradus

44 is having much negative which goes with the times cta greeks jlo etc

lets hope it gets better

cronos

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 71 in Discussion

cyprusairsoft...msg 34

There has been far too much complacency regarding title deeds,with too many people just accepting that this is the Cyprus way,and being prepared to wait for years.

Yes,you can enjoy your property and sell it on without title deeds....until that time when a charge is put on your property whilst it is still legally owned by the original landowner/developer....and then "your" place can be auctioned from under you.

It has been a long time coming,but hopefully "No kocan , no money " is now having some resonance and people are taking notice.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 71 in Discussion

The constructors are now trying to get the law changed to where they'd be giving the kocan to the buyer at the time of paying including foreighners.

This came to me from a constructor who has his own company(do not want to give name but some of you had bad dealings from him).

I said to him that it would not make a slightest difference all the while "ptp" exists.

cronos

Message Posted:
08/07/2010 23:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 71 in Discussion

Good point Yorgozlu.....whilstever us foreigners have to get PTP before receiving our kocan,and this process takes years rather than weeks,then a constructors willingness to hand over the kocan at the time of buying unfortunately becomes an irrelevance.

Let's hope the TRNC gets its act together.....it could so easily be great for everyone.

Lilli

Message Posted:
09/07/2010

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 71 in Discussion

oh bradus, my heart bleeds for you but at least you sold thank god. we came hereto buy a gholiday home and end up working to scratch a living, we just cant keep acepting this is cyprus whilst those in power get rich

Bradus

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 71 in Discussion

Thanks Lilly,

I still feel that we were one of the luckier ones. When I hear of the scams and accounts of what has happened to others and how some have lost their homes and life savings I realise that we really didn't have such a rough ride. We were lucky to have had an honest trustworthy builder. Even luckier to sell in the current market.However it does show that you need more than a good builder to make buying in the TRNC safe.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 71 in Discussion

Bradus,

It is a sad day for common sense, fair play, reasoned debate, Cyprus 44 and The TRNC, that you have finally capitulated, sold

your apartment, and decided to leave the TRNC. All because you were deprived of your PTP because you had bought on

Pre 74 Turkish Land.

To those who say that you should have done your homework before buying..NO ONE..I say Again NO ONE could have forecast that the Government would suddenly decide not to grant PTP to foreigners on certain land. The perceived wisdom at the time was that the best to buy was Pre 74 beacuse title was undisputed. With the ever changing rules on buying property in The TRNC the last being Pay your stamp duty register your property with The TAPU Office, and your property will be free from any

further encumberances and mortgages. Oh forgot about memorandums to cover the builders judgement debts. They can still

be used and your property can still be taken to auction and sold. even if you have paid the builder

wynyardman

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 71 in Discussion

100% of the purchase cost.

Who can blame you? You campaigned long and hard, and shared your experiences with other Cy44 members.

Despite your great love for The TRNC and your many friends, enough is enough despite every effort your pleas for fair play continued to fall on deaf ears.

Well Bradus The TRNC loss is your gain. You say that you feel that a heavy weight has been lifted from your shoulders. I can

well understand what you mean. You deserve to rest away from all this anxiety.

I shall miss you. Your postings were some of the most informative and helpful. Many will be grateful for your words of wisdom.

I wish you and "Cronus" well. You deserve you new found freedom. The TRNCs loss is your gain.

Take care,

wynyardman

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 07:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 71 in Discussion

Well said wyn,

The next person that comes on here and says stop moaning or you should have done home work I will personally wait for their next visit to TRNC and tie them to the back of the car. I will show them Amaranta valley, Hz Omer, Sea Terra, Kulsaniz, Greatstone, etc, etc and get them to tell these people to "stop moaning". I would then take them to your home wyn and if their is anything left after all that they will go to ours. If the ones at it at present have looked at HBPG they will see our problem started with the developer absconding, what would doing our home work have done to prevent that???

They do not read what is happening here on HBPG or NCFP regarding the potential 1,500 people who are going to loose their homes in auctions in near future. Nor indeed do they READ this forum correctly.

I am so happy that Bradus & Cronos have been able to succesfully get rid of their problem and to do it without resorting to lies and deception.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 09:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 71 in Discussion

As yet another victim of the pre '74 scam, I would like to thank Bradus, who initiated this thread, and ALL the other posters, who have had the guts and the decency to make potential property buyers aware of the nasty realities that are facing [mostly] foreigners in TRNC.

viper

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 71 in Discussion

A very interesting read . I would like to echo Tenakoutou's msg 43.

Thank you to all the posters

viper

magicart

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 71 in Discussion

Very informative thread and thanks for sharing your experience

This whats makes C44 so valuable.

Very best of luck with your new life.

Art

Cobbler

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 71 in Discussion

How come the TRNC is seen as the "bad guy" in these property problems and yet with regard to south Cyprus it is the victim of the wicked Greeks? Could it be that they are both sides as bad as each other?

Bradus

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 71 in Discussion

Cobbler,

I told agree. Corruption is wide-spread in both areas.The Government warning is not to buy in Cyprus full stop.

Getting title deeds is even more problematic in the south. However the British government due to the shear number of complaints from its British citizens are being forced into taking action and are using EU Laws to sort this out.Temporary deeds are being issued which are not a solution but do prevent the builder from taking out mortgages and memorandums.

Pressure will provide a solution in the South but unfortunately in the North we do not have the support of the EU or British government and most residents appear to be reluctant to take any form of action or apply pressure.

Whilst ever lethargy rules the situation will continue.

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 71 in Discussion

Bradus, very well put. I feel so sad for you and many others who have had to leave TRNC because of their property problems. People who've suffered loss of their life savings and health.

I also feel sad that the governments seem to want to run this country into the ground. It has so much potential, but short-sighted, selfish, outdated laws and business practices that protect the greedy and unscrupulous are detrimental to the TRNC's prosperity and reputation. When will they ever learn?

Good luck to you!

Sibel

Troodo

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 11:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 71 in Discussion

Will TRNC title deeds be worth anything if there is a solution? Our President seems to be suggesting that we pay GC's for their title deeds - what does that suggest?

girne 29

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 71 in Discussion

Troodo

Could you elaborate on paying the GC's for Title deeds?

I have heard nothing about this and also have heard nothing about levels of compensation to be paid by us.

If there is a solution, NC would be the EU and as such if they tried any of that nonsense I would take them to EU court and sue on breach of promise,insofar as it has been stated TRNC title was safe and guaranteed by the Govt.

Troodo

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 71 in Discussion

Saw it in Cyprus Today under leaks from the negotiations written in the South papers.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 71 in Discussion

Such a sad post from Bradus but so well put, all the best to you and cronos, at least it shows that pre74 is not what a lot of the estate agents are saying.....

Troodo

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 71 in Discussion

Page 7.

If there has been considerable development of a property the current user can demand the title deed and pay its value before they start to develop it.

I could be wrong, but where dose that leave TRNC titles?

Troodo

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 71 in Discussion

Perhaps we should start a new thread.

malsancak

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 71 in Discussion

Troodo, I don't think the TRNC deed holder pays for the land, especially as in my case it was exchange land which means that a TC gained that land in exchange for giving up land in the south. I would argue that, if the person who sold me the land doesn't compensate the GC then their exchange land should be sold to compensate the GC. Bit of a minefield that!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 71 in Discussion

malsancak:

What proof have you that the land you bought has, or had, been exchanged, as it has always been illegal to do so, as far as RoC is concerned?

I realise that many expat. Cyps have done so.

malsancak

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 71 in Discussion

Tenakoutou, you're not implying that we might have been lied to by the government are you?

Cobbler

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 16:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 71 in Discussion

Bradus message 47, I meant in all aspects of the GC/TC relationship - not just property. If the locals can treat expats with the contempt they have shown you then perhaps it could be argued that they treat the Greeks the same, and the Cyprus problem is the fault of both sides. We know the Greeks are miserable b.....ds, perhaps many of the TCs are'nt much different judging by your and others experience.

Bradus

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 71 in Discussion

Agree Cobbler. I know exactly what you mean.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 18:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 71 in Discussion

malsancak/Msg 57: 'Tenakoutou, you're not implying that we might have been lied to by the government are you?'

No more so than any other complainants that have been 'legally' cheated and 'misinformed'!

malsancak

Message Posted:
09/07/2010 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 71 in Discussion

I was bit tongue in cheek there Tenakoutou, as you probably guessed

Bradus

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 71 in Discussion

resurrected for expat lady. Before someone else makes the same mistake.

Bradus

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 71 in Discussion

you will be lucky if the builder will wait until you get PTP. But ask yourself is it worth risking thousands of you hard earned cash?

The advocates, estate agents and builders will tell you anything to get a sale.Always do your own research. They deny all problems.

If you must do this foolish thing, rather than rent,go to the HBPG and follow their advice. By the way, the government have stated that you must get PTP before entering into a contract with the developer. If you do not adhere to this regulation then you have to accept responsibility when you are refused.

Its a no win situation.

honestie

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 14:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 71 in Discussion

message 63

e sale contract being registered will as the esate agent tell you stop the old owner from getting a mortgage but definately will not stop memorandums which acutally can be more than a mortgage. I dont even know if the solicitor would tell you but in these times if you get one who doesnt then do not use them and if they do tell you and there wont be a problem dont believe them.

the waring is and the only thing you really shoul believe that whilst the kocan is in the hands of the builder you are at risk

I am not trying to be negative just helpful and save you heartache . If you are buying buy one already esatblished but you can still have the problem til you get that kocan in your name

regards honestie

th

expatlady

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 14:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 71 in Discussion

message 63

Well; I really need something more "fixed" than renting. But North Cyprus is not the only country in the world! If things do not work out there, I´ll go to another Med country.

And I really appreciate your warnings; I have already spent a few months looking, so I am not in a great hurry. And I just saw an estimate on property prices on the GC -side: they are still falling.

You have made me make up my mind about two things: not settle for anything less that the kocan, and only pay a smaller amount/deposit (which I can afford to loose) before I have got that.

The properties I have been looking at, have all been either old, or half-finished. I would, in fact, prefer to buy a plot of land, and to built "from scratch". (Needless to say; I wouldn´t dream of starting to build before I have my PTP & kocan.)

Again; I really appreciate your warnings; and the stories here about people loosing their homes are just horrible. I don´t want to end up like them!

cronos

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 71 in Discussion

expatlady...msg 66

It is good that you have been able to use this forum to make a reasoned judgement.

Only you can make the final decision!

However,your statement "And I just saw an estimate on property prices on the GC -side: they are still falling. " makes me uneasy on your behalf.

There are many many similar horror stories regarding property and deeds in the South as well...please do be careful !

expatlady

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 71 in Discussion

msg 67

Oh, I know very well that there are horror stories in the South! Actually; I think they started this "sport" of not giving out title deeds long before the North: I know of people there (Paphos) who has not gotten title deed after 10 yrs! Just endless delays.

My observation was just a note on why I am not in a big hurry to buy; both in the South and other places (Spain) around the Med ...the prices have not yet reached bottom, according to observers. Now; if prices were going up everywhere with 5-10-20% a year (which they did, for a while); yeah, then I would be in more of a hurry to buy...

Hector

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 19:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 71 in Discussion

Why not offer to rent the property until you get your PTP and only pay the agreed sale price when you get the Kocan? You could negotiate that the money you pay in rent gets taken off the sale price.

HotHippo

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 21:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 71 in Discussion

It's scandalous that many Developers and Estate Agents are still demanding a premium for pre-74 deeds. We bought an apartment, without too much thought, but pulled out of a much-larger purchase of an off-plan villa, because of my growing awareness of the many issues, largely thanks to the contributions by members of this forum.

You have my very sincere sympathies, and I hope that your problems may be resolved to your satisfaction some day soon, while allowing you to remain in this lovely part of the world.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 71 in Discussion

It is good to see that by posting all the negative points that some condemn us for, does have meaning when all accumulated. ie provides a 100% validation of the issues here and elsewhere.

Things are not all bad in TRNC, many have bought with no issues but the bad points are just that BAD! When we put our marker down in 2005 none of this information was available, all the hidden issues from the start of the boom times are now manifesting themselves into potential disasters. In fact nobody knew in 2005, or could even predict what would happen here with cheating builders, corrupt lawyers and estate agents and a government that could not manage.......well.. anything.

If by continuing to post "OUR" individual stories people can learn what the pitfalls maybe they can be saved the heartache of hundreds of others.

Let us not forget, similar issues are turning up daily in Spain, Greece and no doubt in most other under developed mediteranean countries. We are not alone!!

wynyardman

Message Posted:
11/07/2010 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 71 in Discussion

Too true David.

Keep the pressure on , and keep moving forward. We shall overcome!

wyn

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.