North Cyprus Tourist Board - New here, live in Canada but want to move to N.Cyprus -need advice!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > New here, live in Canada but want to move to N.Cyprus -need advice!

New here, live in Canada but want to move to N.Cyprus -need advice!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

cangirl

Message Posted:
26/07/2008 06:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Hi there, I am from Ontario Canada and am seriously thinking of moving to Northern Cyprus; my father was born there and my oldest sister also lives there. I just returned from a 2 week stay.. every time I go I am so sad to leave. I feel I belong there. However my Turkish is not that good and I wonder how hard it will be for me to find a job? I work as a Business Analyst here for an auto/home insurance company but I have lots of customer service experience, am hard working, learn quickly, etc etc.. any advice? My sister is looking for me but says I need to be there..but will people hire a non-resident? thanks in advance!

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/07/2008 07:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

When you move here you will be a resident (albeit temporary until permanent residence is achieved),

It's not a simple matter but given your experience and qualities I should think you will have little problem finding gainful employment... there are plenty of insurance companies and brokers for a start.

If you don't do it you will always wonder, should I have?....

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
26/07/2008 07:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

If your father was born here are you able to get citezenship automatically. From talking with others this appears the norm.

That would certainly help you through most of the recruitment issues ie all the paperwork.

Problem after that is language and I am sure that you would resolve that issue if you were here permanently.

cangirl

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 06:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

hi, thanks for the replies! My father has British citizenship ...

well we'll see what happens. I did apply for one job already at a bank. but again, could be hard when I'm not there. I'm hoping Cyprus will be my home one day!

turbo

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 08:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

If you had a bit more Turkish language skills and are good in the customer service department, I bet you would be welcomed with open arms in most large companies specially with the big high class hotels.

Concierge would be good.

Either way, the best of luck to you.

Pipie

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

I think the only drawaback appears to be some salary's paid in the TRNC , they certainly do not appear do be keeping up with the rising cost of living .

elko2

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Hello Hulya,

I presume that you were not born in cyprus but since your parents are Turkish Cypriot, you should have no problem registering in TRNC and getting your own ID card.

People with good business experience and a good command of English should have no difficulty in finding a job here. Even if you do not know Turkish at all, it should be no problem since you will find a job that will deal mostly with English speaking people. In any case, I am sure you will pick up enough Turkish in no time to get by. If you have enough money to see you through a couple of years, you should come and settle in Cyprus without any hesitation. I am sure you will find a job pretty quickly but worse come to worse, you can always set up your own business and probably earn more money than any salary you could expect from others. There are lots of job opportunities here for self employed. Just have confidence in yourself and make the move.

ismet

littlenige

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Why would any one leave canada for here ?

http://homepage.mac.com/i/hpti/1/wimg/Shared/SlideShow/SlideShow.html?lang=en

dalartokat

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Nigel what are we supposed to be looking at, it does not work.

littlenige

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

try this one sorry

http://homepage.mac.com/bengrimshaw/PhotoAlbum7.html

Talla

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Depends what kind of person you are really. I noticed that you're in your 30's, bear in mind before you make your mind up that there are NO art galleries, museums, theatre, opera...I know some of you will contradict me...but I mean in the grand scale of things...in a cosmopolitan city aspect. It's a 'very small place', and you can get very bored if you're used to living in a city. Great for a two week holiday, but permanently....? mmmm

We'll swap, I'll come to Canada and you can come here. Think that conveys my opinion!

littlenige

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

When we get our places finished, we plan to so house swaps.

Would love to swop with some one in canada.

I should say IF we ever get our place finihed ?

Reproman

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 19:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

elko

what sort of business do you think would do well?

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

hulya

as long as your father is born in cyprus you will have no problems ,my youngest son got his last year and he is only half turkish ,but he will have to

do his military service ,where you don,t .

if you speak both turkish and english good you will have no problem with

employment ,good luck

musin

Reproman

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

I keep hearing people say " if you speak English and Turkish" you will have no problem with work.

What jobs are out there for Turkish/English speaking TC's who are thinking of moving over to cyprus?

Kyrenia007

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Hi Hulya,

You can get your KKTC kimlik card (ID card) with no problems so long as your Father has a copy of his KKTC birth certificate. You then need take a copy of it to your local TRNC consulate together with your passport and then you can apply for your KKTC/TRNC birth certificate (don't worry if you were not born in Cyprus) and once you have that you can apply for your kimlik.

Good luck with everything and if you feel that Cyprus is your home then I wish you all the best. I know just how you feel

linda1969

Message Posted:
03/08/2008 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Hello,

Just had to respond because although I cannot help you with your questions around living in cyprus you may be able to help me,I'm thinking of emigrating to Canada...lol. We have a place a turtle bay and love staying there and any move to canada would make the journey to north cyprus pretty unrealistic but we are fed up with life in Britain for many reasons. Just wondered if you could give us an idea of what life is like in Canada. Our province of choice at the moment is Alberta or BC and then ontario. I know its a mmassive question but would be keen to here your thoughts.

cangirl

Message Posted:
04/08/2008 00:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

hello again and thanks so much for all the comments, opinions, & advice..they all help me!

I do realize Cyprus is nice for holiday visits and my family wonders how I will like it there when there is no beach to swim in, etc. My answer to that is Cyprus has beautiful scenery regardless and no SNOW! last year, in Ontario, my shovelled snow piles were as tall as I am, maybe higher. I honestly did not know where I put anymore. Winters here are awful for me, I really hate them. So, would I rather risk my life to get to work everyday and then be a prisoner in my home at nights and weekends or be in Cyprus and still be able to go for walks, be outside, enjoy the scenery? I don't live in a big city, it is growing though, maybe 250-275000 people. I'm not much into theatre or such things and being in my later 30's I'm ready to just lead a calm quiet life.

To Linda: I live about an hour west of Toronto and its very flat here. No mountains, and the lakes are about an hour to two hours away. I don't have a cottage so I'm mostly here. Not much to do in my city so that is probably why I am bored. I do like big cities, loved NYC when I was there in May, but I should have done that in my 20s. oh well. BC and Alberta are probably your best bets for beauty. I've never been but everyone loves it there. Lovely mountains and lakes etc. If you like winter sports, lots of skiing and other things to do. Canada is a wonderful place and I admit I have a stable life with everything I need. But I still feel that I need this change. I do worry about other things in Cyprus though.. like the housing situation, water issues...so its a difficult decision.

rtddci

Message Posted:
04/08/2008 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

How about spending 6 months trial period in NC? Rent a property. See how you get on?

Martin

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.