North Cyprus Tourist Board - falling number of holiday makers
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > falling number of holiday makers

falling number of holiday makers

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about North Cyprus Holidays

» Book your North Cyprus Holiday online

» Book North Cyprus Hotels Online: Secure & Easy

Bradus

Message Posted:
03/07/2007 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

I really love North Cyprus, for me its the ideal holiday destination - lots of historical interest and a relaxed and laid back atmosphere and the most friendly people I have met anywhere. So I was quite surprised to find out that hotels are only half full and that the number of tourists visiting are falling. Anyone have a guess as to why this might be?

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
03/07/2007 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

Hi Bradus

People closer to the ground will probably be able to give more pertinant reasons but I was wondering, have numbers also fallen in the ROC and the whole of the med for that matter? Have people shifted towards taking long haul holidays?

How many people are aware of the TRNC as a holiday destination?

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
03/07/2007 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

ps also read somewhere that airlines are bracing themselves for a very quiet summer and autumn (comapred to last year). Easyjet blame the hike in interest rates and Michael Ryan blames government taxation

Bradus

Message Posted:
03/07/2007 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

Yes I agree that many people are not aware of the TRNC as a holiday destination. Yes - it is also falling in south cyprus as well but not the rest of the Med. Costly flights must surely be a contributing factor? Not a beach lover myself but did read on one of the other forums that the daughter of one of the british residents had stated that she would be holidaying elsewhere next year because of the high costs and the state of the beaches in TRNC which she described as not being good enough for the kids too play on and being dirty. After say that this was also remarked on in the hotel last year by many of the holiday makers with kids. A real shame because playing on beaches is a must for kids on holiday. Noted that excursions to Kyrenia are promoted in some of the hotels in south. Thought that this would help promote the north. Don't suppose water shortages help either.

Oknala

Message Posted:
03/07/2007 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Also agree, there are some cheap flights to be found to the TRNC, not well advertised. As for the beaches, until people realise it is not a good idea to chuck bottles into the sea, where they break up and cause injuries, holidaymakers are not going to see this as a child/family friendly place.

Oknala

Message Posted:
03/07/2007 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

Added to say, yes, figures of people going abroad have also fallen - due to higher interest rates in the UK, and flights having had added on tax - usuallly down to the UK tax raising again....

suntanman

Message Posted:
03/07/2007 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

Just returned from TRNC, and a local hotelier also confirmed that bookings were almost 50% down this year so far. His reasons were not that numbers of holidaymakers are depleting, but due to the fact that alot of people are now buying their own properties over there, so are staying in 'their own holiday homes'

Bradus

Message Posted:
03/07/2007 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

Agree suntanman this must contribute to the problem. Amazingly its also difficult to get return flights at certain times of the year even when they are at a premium.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
04/07/2007 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

I also agree suntanman, as more properties are completed more owners, friends and families visit, coupled with the growth in holiday lets must affect the hotel occupancy levels. I can tell locally by the increase in lit properties at night that there is growth in villa and apartment residency temporary and permanent.

p

davidoff

Message Posted:
04/07/2007 02:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

Hi all,

That makes sense actually suntanman that seems more like it- about people staying in their own or renting their own places aswell as the figures also show that an increase in flight passengers have risen and add to it the ammount who are also flying south and crossing over to the north proves that people are still coming!!

See ya D

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
04/07/2007 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

Guess the hotels are less than happy, but the restaurants and supermarkets must be really pleased with the increased trade. Is that the case?

suntanman

Message Posted:
04/07/2007 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

I didn't get the impression the hoteliers were concerned about the increasing number of empty beds, as most of their profit is made in the sale of food and drinks. As long as people still go out for a 'bevy' from time to time and eat out in their restuarants they are still happy. And looking at the amount of construction taking place on the road from Kyrenia to the Esentepe area, of retail units, I think some wise people will make a good living for themselves.

Perry

Message Posted:
05/07/2007 04:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

I am currently in Monte Carlo on a conference. All restaurants and bars are very quiet and down on last year. Economies and interest rates will affect all holiday destinatons - even places like this.....

B&BLondon

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 21:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Day trippers from the south are told by their guides that 'everyone who has bought property will lose their investment, that all the dogs have rabies and that the water is not safe to swim in. So don't expect them to come North next holiday!

We talk about the reduced tourists, and believe that the amount of building has put some people off returning. Also, the increased flight costs have made the package holidays similar prices to other european destinations when a few years ago they were much cheaper by comparison. I remember being amazed that Cyprus Paradise prices did not jump in price the day school holidays started!

We also noted this year that some prices have gone up - perhaps to recoup some of the lost revenue on last years low tourism. Escape Beach went from 7YTL to 15YTL. Restaurants have also increased prices (can't blame them) but where TRNC was considered very cheap, it is now cheaper than UK, but on a par with other European resorts - (unless you go 'off the beaten track' as we like to and where time really seems to have stood still!!)

I can't understand why more big new hotels are being built - surely the number of tourists will now be 'spread' accross more hotels? Is it the Milpas i recall seeing - huge place, who will stay there, what does it offer that all the others don't?

Turtle

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

I am trying to book a holiday through Cyprus Paradise online ???

There dosen't appear to be any flights available mid to late September from either Manchester, Birmingham or London for that matter.

I have e mailed Cyprus Paradise twice with no reply perhaps this is why the

holiday maker numbers are down ??

irishvixen

Message Posted:
10/07/2007 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Try Metak holidays or try booking with the hotel direct I booked with RIVERSIDE HOLIDAY VILLAGE they can arrange flights as well.

http://www.metakholidays.co.uk

Izzet

Message Posted:
10/07/2007 17:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

Try this site as well.

http://www.gonorthcyprus.com

Also, consider flying to Larnaca and then book hotels thru the site ;)

davidoff

Message Posted:
10/07/2007 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

Hi all,

Have been informed that in general tourism has taken a nosedive anyway due to UK prices and interest rates and tax rises there fore people have less disposable income!!

Hence why people are sacrificing holidays as they cant affors as much!!

See ya D

B&BLondon

Message Posted:
11/07/2007 00:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Turtle

we have always telephoned to book with Cyprus Paradise (twice a year for four years) never had any problems, always efficient, although we booked early and flew from London airports (to Ercan)

DIY holidays (rather than package) are very easy if you use internet, but finding flights to TRNC is laborious.

teapot

Message Posted:
11/07/2007 18:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

another reason for the slow down could be the uncertainty in the middle east, prospects of further conflicts, who needs it, especially when thinking of holidays, when there are so many other places to go in the world.

Middle Easter

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 07:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

I think everyone has valid points, however I think there is a difference between short term fluctuation & long term trends. Short term there are are issues such as Mid East conflicts, lack of direct flights, access to information, court cases, negative publicity 'machines'

Long term, just look at what is going on. New golf course, marina, quality hotels (I have just booked into The Malpas, thanks to Izzet's info). All the major players are investing heavily, very heavily.

So, its a bit like the stockmarket. If you are buying property or setting up/running a business, don't bank on a quick profit & make sure you have enough money to ride out the short term.........However if you have longer term horizons i.e. 5yrs min+ investing in Northern Cyprus it is a 'no brainer' & of course a great place to be.

fastclick

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

I was taling to a Scottish cople down by a harbour restaurant last week. They were staying at the Dome , but were slighty dissapointed with the TRNC. When I asked why they said there was so much unfinished contruction and so much litter> While we can't do much about the contruction, I really do think taht as many people as possible should be lobbying the TRNC givernment and local councils to get the rubbish cleared up.

BILLY

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

I agree with the litter problem . I was at turtle beach last week. The beach was much cleaner tahn I have ever seen it previously however the turtles were laying and I believe volunteers clean the beech prior to this.

100 yards away from the beech in the picnic area where the locals go on a weekend was the the most disgusting area of rubbish and litter I have seen other than a rubbish dump.

Families were eating and children were playing in this area it was covered with plastic bags,bottles,and glass bottles.

I agree with fastclick the government and council should be policing this instead of investing police time and money into the increasing number of static and mobile speed cameras.

eager

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

went in may for 2 weeks to look for a property to buy. very dissapointed with the place, electricity cuts, water shortages everything very very basic. seems to me just a place to retire to. probably take another 10 years to get things up to standard, what do people actually do there? very dusty and primitive were my thoughts. sorry if this offends, as the locals are very nice people but i think that people have fallen for the estate agents hype. can see a lot of unhappy people in a year or two if nothing is done in the way of infrastructure.

millzer

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

I think that now, MORE THAN EVER , the TRNC Gov' should be making every effort to tidy up the litter and keep the beaches spotless. Take Alagadi beach as an example. I've think I've said this somewhere b4, but Alagadi is plugged as the beautiful turtle beach, and then you get there and see the reality......litter and rubbish, complete with some absolutely discusting public toilets!!! Not much to shout about is it!! With all the building work going on and some of the builders cruising around in their 'Hummers' couldn't the TRNC Gov' persuade some of them to invest a bit more in their own futures and build a nice modern toilet block and clean up the beach!!! If they all did a little bit at various locations it could just make a difference.

The reason I said at the start of this post that it is more important than ever to clean the place up is that now a lot of the villa and apartment complexes are approaching completion, I dare say a large number of the owners are going to be trying to rent out their properties. Whilst most people know that the rental market is difficult I'm sure these owners will still attract newcomers/holidaymakers to the TRNC albeit maybe in not massive numbers initially, but when these people start coming they may well think twice about ever returning if their children have to play on a beach full of rubbish!!!!

The TRNC property boom is over for the time being and a lot of the hotel guests over the past two or three years will have been property buyers who are, or soon will be, moving into their own properties, so who is going to fill the hotel rooms.

TRNC....You really need to get your act together. Personally, we love the place in spite of some of it's faults, but if I were looking at it through the eyes of a holidaymaker, I doubt that I would ever return.

QUESTION FOR IZZET. What do you, as someone who works (or has worked) for a large builder think about the situation? Is there anyone responsible in the TRNC Gov that can be written to about these issues?

Bradus

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 00:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

Eager all I can say is that you have not done your homework. Didn't Spain start of this way? Inrastructure is the last thing to arrive in such places.Of course you always have the option of buying in Spain so that you have the infrastructure but then you will be looking at properrty values of £200.000 + rather than £50 to £80.000.I know I did the search beforehand. People are looking for that bit of unspoilt med and don't want the Costa's and Casa's anymore. However I agree none of us have a crystal ball and so we need to have this conversation in about 10 years time. Get the interset and the development will folllow. Depends whether you are a before or after man?

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Millzer I'm sure I read somewhere about the army (or someone like that) coming in to help clean up Alagadi beach??? Can't remember where I read it though.

B&BLondon

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

Eager i'm curious to know, if you visted TRNC and were so unimpressed, why are you still logging on to the forum?

davidoff

Message Posted:
15/07/2007 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

Hi all,

I do too admit that when I stayed in kyrenia the beaches were littered but once I drove down to tatlisu and saw my site and the beach there it was spotless, clean and so unspoilt there!!!

Also I feel that most of the litter issues are based around kyrenia and nicosia the main hubbs of NC!!!

You cant judge the whole island based on these too areas alone!!

Also has anyone ever actually travelled alot and visited the caribbean, india or africa-- THIS WILL DEFINATELY BE AN EYE OPENER FOR YOU, Alitttle litter on a few beaches is nothing compared to what youll see in these countries!!

I think the issues in NC have beem inflated too much from the sounds of things- EVERYWHERE/EVERY COUNTRY HAS THERE FAULTS even the uk!!!

BUT YES I do hope the litter issue is dealt with in the future as it will only escalate!

ALSO apparently volunteers clean up algadi beach every year before the turtle nesting season starts!!

See ya D

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
15/07/2007 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

It sounds to me that we will have to do some hard lobbying and educating to get things changed and to ultimately influence their mentality. Their culture is largely 'in time', they live and think in the moment and don't envisage future consequences.

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
16/07/2007 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

We having coming to TRNC for 17 years, the first time was almost impossible to find a company to go with, but since then easier. Tourist numbers was highest in 1997 when you could'nt get a table at a resturant unless you booked 3 or 4 days before. But more people have bought their own places and so it appears numbers are down. When we were there in June there was a big roadside clear up from Lapta down to the arch at Alsancak and it does make a big difference. Lets hope this is the start of something and not a one off.

P & J

McSteviet

Message Posted:
16/07/2007 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

P & J

When you say roadside clearup what do you mean by that? Did they clear away some of the hundred's of roadside signs?

Can you please elaborate.

Thanks

MC

lelly

Message Posted:
17/07/2007 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

hi i visited trnc for the first time this year got back 2 weeks ago we know people that live out there whom my parents have been visiting for the last 9 years and they could not believe how quite it was this year apparently it is blamed on the amount of people that are renting villas privatly and paying the owner money over here in england meaning that TRNC does not see any of the money however they are now taxing the villa owners so that they at least get a bit of money back in fact whilst we were there 4 people from the tax office turned up at our villa wanting to know how much we paid, the owners name and adress etc etc so i suppose it is only fair that the owners pay tax to the TRNC as they are the ones losing out with hotels only being 40% full LA beach hotel only had 35 guests whilst we were there!

I loved it so did my kids and i cannot wait to go back next year.

lesley

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
21/07/2007 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

MC In the late 90's the TRNC gov said all the road side signs must go. The restaurants and hotels reply was you clear the roadside crap and the signs will come down. The crap stayed and the roadside signs increased 4 fold.

This year the roadside rubbish is being cleard up, the signs ?

P & J

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.