North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advise on floating switch in water tank
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advise on floating switch in water tank

Advise on floating switch in water tank

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all Do It Yourself (DIY) threads posted so far

Tootie

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

When I turn it off and back on again from inside the house the pump starts up for a couple of seconds then goes off. (as if its up to full pressure)

The same happens when I take the switch out of the water and move it to turn on and off, but again the pump only runs for a few seconds.

Does it sound like I need a new one? The Switch is a sealed unit.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

If you hold the red ball up vertically the little ball inside should be at the bottom and 'making' the circuit to run the pump - provided the power to the pump is switched on.

Holding the red ball in any other position - e.g. horizontal, will 'break' the circuit and stop the pump, even if the power to the pump is switched on.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

we've disconnected the one from one of our tanks because they are absolutely rubbish. The one on the 8 tonne tank is just laying on the ground horizontal. We just check the water levels manually every few days to make sure they aren't getting low

Tootie

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Tenak, That is exactly what happens but when I hold it up vertically and the ball at the bottom the pump only runs for a few seconds?

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

The only purpose of the float switch is to stop the pump if there is insufficient water in the tank. If the punp runs at all then the float switch is OK although you can always improve on the cable length to get the maximium possible out of the tank. The problem then is elsewhere. But exactly where depends on whetherr you have the red ball or the newer electronic pressure switches.

I have built a gauge on to my tank so I can always see the water level from the kitchen. Drill a hole in the side of the tank at the bottom and fix a right angled double male joint externally. You use a nut and washer inside the tank to make a water tight seal. To the other end of the fitting, connect some clear plastic pipe which reaches to the top of the tank and just put something to float inside the tube - I used a fishing float. Now I can see at a glance how much water is in the tank.

elko2

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

msg. 1,

The problem may be with your pressurre switch or (most unlikely) with the float switch. It is easy enough to test the float switch first.

1. Switch off the electricity to the pump. If not sure switch off from the mains.

2. The floatswitch has three wires to it but only two are connected and the third is redundant. Short the two connected wires together.

3. Switch on the electricity. If the pump works properly, change the float, if otherwise, get someone to look at your pressure switch.

ismet

Tootie

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for the advise.

ismet I will try what you have said. If it is the float switch then will it be ok to just keep the two connected wires together and just keep an eye on the water level?

elko2

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

msg. 7,

Yes you can keep the two wires connected together but if you run out of water your pump will keep working non-stop and cost you some money. Its best to replace it.

ismet

tracer

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 13:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

ismet

if Im right if you use a flood switch you dont need a pressure switch .only if there is a simple flooder in the tank then you have to use a pressure switch. if both are use there will be a conflict.

on the other hand i dont know how the plumbers work there.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Tracer

' on the other hand i dont know how the plumbers work there.'

Best for you not to comment then I guess.

snakes

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Toots !! we had a similar problem last year and the pump control circuit board had melted sending all sorts of weird messages to the pump ! it was going mad !! replaced whole lot as no one supplied control board ! cheers see ya next sunday ! Barry

elko2

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Tracer (msg. 9),

If you have a pressure switch (i.e. you want full pressure in the pipes all the time) then you should normally have a float switch in the bottom tank so as not to have the pump running if you run out of water and you should have a ball and valve in the upper tank to keep it topped up if you have one just in case you have a power failure.

ismet

Tootie

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Well its not the float switch! As I have done what ismet suggested and it still does the same.

So it must be the pressure switch on the pump. I have tried resetting it but still no joy.

So can anybody recommend someone that can come and have a look at it tomorrow?

Thanks for all the advise.

tracer

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

AJ plumbing, heading and a/c is my job for the last 35 years so i believe i know something about the matter .and their are a few ways to do a job thats why i guess.

Now, from ismets explanation i undertstood that one pump is used for two jobs feeling the upper tank and supplies the house with pressurized water thats explain the need of a pressure switch and a flood switch

In the "south" we use two pumps .one for the house (pressure ) and one to feel the upper tank with the use of 2 flood switches and a 24volt electrical panel (not allowed to use 240v for the floods in the tanks.)

JohnW

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Tootie

Itr all depends how it is set up and all sorts of things could be going wrong. If you want us to come and have a look (no charge for telling you what's wrong) call me on 0533 836 7094.

John Webster

Cyprus Solutions.

elko2

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 19:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

msg. 14

Tracer,

Just for your information, on the sysem I described, there is a check valve on the pipe going from the bottom of the top tank to the house. Hence the water cannot go into the top tank from the bottom because of the check valve. Very clever set up, so only one pump is sufficient. Who said the Greek Cypriots are cleverer than Tcs?

ismet

Spearfish

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 20:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

If you have a press control fitted then the float switch will only act to reset the press control after the tank has run low on water and then been re filled. If you dont use a float switch with the press controll, and the tank runs out of water, the press controll will sense that there is no water by the magnet and magnetic switch dis alignment that will be caused by the absence of water down to the fact that the pump can not move air and the 1way valve in the top of the press controll containing the magnet will not be pushed into the run position, ie in line with the magnetic switch, Then after a short amount of time "less than 15 seconds" the pump will stop even if there is still demand for water, and will not restart until the reset is pressed, after the tank has been filled. or untill the electricity supply is interupted and then turned back on. if either of these things are done before the tank has been refilled, it will stop the pump again in the same way.

basheer

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 21:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

ismet just the man to get some advise this time its about the pump to the villa,during the night i hear the pump come on for maybe 5sec's every hour,its like a time clock pumping water up to the roof,when we do use the water the pump works like it is supposed to do, it happens only when the water is not being used and this is noticed mostly at night when everything is silent while i was in the UK my neigbour turned it off guess it disturbed his sleep! i dont think the tank on top is leaking or the hot water tank except for the escape valve on the roof i noticed a puddle on the base i been told thats important as it lets off boiling water heated from the solar

ps I will be in lapta next week and will invest in your eco plug(cant remember the name) but have a print to show the guy's in town in case my english causes problems thanks

tracer

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

ismet this is not about who is cleverer or not, is about how you you want the job done

we just use to separate the lifting pump from the pressure pump (we most use the inverter type for the house) more expensive but also more effective.

as for msg 18 check the tabs or the toilets for any and i mean any drip.then the check valves if any and safety valves .if not maybe you have a leak.

Lilli

Message Posted:
18/07/2010 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

toots some great advice, we have some experts on here. are you sorted x

elko2

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

msg. 20

Lilli,

Speaking for myself, I am jack of all trades and ........

ismet

basheer

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 02:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

master of alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

tracer

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 07:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

my name is jack

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 07:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Message 17

If you don't have the more modern electronic pressure control described by Spearfish then you will have the red ball. In this case there is a separate pressure switch attaced to the outlet pipe just below the pump. This, unlike the electronic pressure control, is adjustable both for presuure range and also the 'switch off' pressure. And because it irelies on springs, it can drift away from its original settings and either switch off at too low pressure or not switch off at all. But adjusting/replacing this switch is not a job fo an amateur. If you have the red ball set-up then this is almost certainly your problem.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 08:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Best to 'grasp the nettle' and fork out for the more modern electronic pressure control described by Spearfish, otherwise you could replace what you've already got - it goes wrong again, and by the time you've called the plumber a coupla three times, you could have bought Spearfish's advice/jobby!

Chinese ones cost about 70TL - mine's lasted three years - must be a record!

I've found the best/cheapest and most helpful plumbers' supplies shop is next to CreditWest Bank, opposite Deniz Plaza bookstore - ask for Ahmet - he speaks English goodo!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.