North Cyprus Tourist Board - Car log book and insurance
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Car log book and insurance

Car log book and insurance

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

I have recently been given a copy of an article from the Property Magazine and wondered if it a relatively new rule.

This is it:

'The BRS strongly advises buyers who are married/in a partnership in the TRNC to make sure that the log book is in both partners names. If one partner dies, it will take between 2-4 years (at least) for the vehicle to be transferred to the name of the surviving partner. During this time it will be illegal to drive the vehicle.'

The article then goes on to say how to get the log book changed inot both names for a cost of 250TL.

Does anyone know about this or been in the situation that they have been unable to drive a vehicle legally due to being a surviving partner and their partners name being the only name on the log book?

Do the locals have this problem?

Is it another way to earn money for the government?

We have never heard of this before and no one told us when we bought our car that it would be advisable to be in both names.

RoxyBob

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Haven't heard of this before. If it is true then people have been breaking the law for years.

My relatives and friends us my car when visiting the island and some of them have been stopped by the police for document checks and nothing was ever said.

waddo

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Have heard of this before but in all cases because there was a will involved the process only took a few days. Would it not be a better idea just to complete a vehicle ownership transfer and keep it in a safe place until it was needed?

I know it would be a "bent" idea but when an event happened it could simply be dated and passed through in the normal way - after all - owners do not need to be present when transferring ownership anyway?

That way you could save your 250 TL for the wake - lol.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Mick,

I think that the owner does need to be present when you visit the Muhtar to get the letter, even though they then don't have to go to the vehicle licensing place.

Good try, but no monkey

waddo

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Keith,

Previous owner of my current car had left the country before the sale. Had no problems with it as he had signed the letter of change. New owner needs to get the letter from the Muhtar - old Muhtar (where previous owner lived) cares little and knows less if they have sold the car or not - he has already got his money from the old owner who had to tell him he was buying a car.

I know its the wrong way round but its the same as getting a dog license - that is from the Muhtar where you live and not from the Muhtar of where the dog came from!! The Muhtar's are very helpful (normally) and fully understand that people have this annoying tendancy to die without getting a Muhtar letter first, they have helped in two cases I know of.

Gimmee my monkey!!!!!!!

deputydawg

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

From the experiences of assisting friends with probate here it seems clear that local advocates believe that a vehicle registered in the sole name of a deceased spouse cannot be sold until probate granted. It is even lost on them that they have a duty to maximise the value of the deceased estate and are not precluded from allowing a sale before the vehicle decreases in value by time, such income to be retained in estate funds until probate granted. Therefore cannot see how joint names will help as, if one of the owners dies, their estate would continue to have a part legal interest until probate granted. From this entrenched position the same advocates, with the best interests of their clients in mind, would give no view on the legal, and insurance implications if the vehicle continued to be used by surviving spouse or third parties until probate granted ! Sorry if this seems so negative but we are all aware just how difficult it is to get accurate advice here re legal matters

keithcaley

Message Posted:
19/07/2010 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Mick,

I (grudgingly) give way to your knowledge, but I'm still not sure if you deserve the monkey

newscoop

Message Posted:
20/07/2010 00:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

It took a woman in Karmi seven years to be allowed to sell on her late husbands car.

A woman in Karsiyaka managed it in less than two.

Go figure!

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
20/07/2010 07:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

When we bought our car 4.5 years ago, dealer had details put in joint names for that reason, so not new as far as I know.

Roxybob, msg2

Has nothing to do with who is driving the vehicle just on ownership. Insurance may be another issue so you may wish to check that. Although again it is often for anydriver.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Thank you for your comments.

I have checked the insurance and it seems that I would be covered to drive but there is still the issue over the ownership of the car. My husband's will leaves everything to me however it appears that the car log book being in his name alone would mean that it would take me several years to get it transferred into my name, I am wondering if this is because it would go to probate?

I may have to go ahead and fork out the 250TL to change the log book just ensure that I will 'easily' be the owner should anything happen to my husband unless there is an alternative.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.