North Cyprus Tourist Board - Hello. New to the North Cyprus forum
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Hello. New to the North Cyprus forum

Hello. New to the North Cyprus forum

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

chiangbill

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Hello. My name is Bill. And new to the forum. Currently living in Chiang Mai. Thailand. But we would prefer to be in Europe. I have looked through many web sites on places to live in Europe.

My wife and i are both British and retired. So is North Cyprus the place for us? I have also read many conflicting reports on the cost of living, in North Cyprus. Some say it's more expensive than the UK, others say it's cheaper than the UK. We had friends who were there for three months and said it was fine.

It would be nice to chat to someone living there.

Thanks.

Bill.

HNComputers

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum

North Cyprus is a wonderful place to live, if you like the laid back lifestyle. However there are some issues with cost of living in my opinion, I mean alcohol and cigarettes are cheaper than the UK, and maybe bills too but there are alot of other things that are much more expensive i.e. food shopping, customs, general retail shopping etc.

Other than that its a good place to live, if you're not looking to work and just chill out and enjoy the sun and sea

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

and you wont have to put up with i lub you long time lol

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 09:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Great place to live with great local people. Cost of living for me is below the UK in most ways - just cars are expensive in almost every way like buying (high import tax), taxing, insuring... although fuel is still cheaper.

I even think food shopping is cheaper in some ways, but you may have to change what products you put in your trolly compared to the UK.

Overall our cost of living is lower than the UK and our quality of life is a million times better.

Anyway - welcome to the board and good luck if you make the move to Sunny NC!!

G

cronos

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Bill,

By all means consider it as a good place to live.....but avoid BUYING property here until the laws are changed.

Do not risk your life savings.

You can rent some fantastic properties in NC for relatively little money compared with the rest of the Med...prices vary,but the market is depressed and you should get a really nice villa with pool for £450 per month , decent apartments from £300.

RENT , don't buy.....don't put your money at risk....put it in the bank and get at least 6% interest.

Good luck.

chiangbill

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Hi thanks for your reply.

We are used to buying local food, in India all imported stuff was expensive. It's the same here, local stuff on the market is fine. We have a Tesco Lotus not far from us. Again 'English' stuff expensive.

Bill.

chiangbill

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Hi. Yes there is not much English spoken where we live. Big problem, not their fault though, but it is fun shopping in sign language.

chiangbill

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Hi thanks for your replys. OK now where to live?

spider

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Hi chianqbill welcome to the forum and good luck for when you come here to live.

Best wishes Spider,X

NanaJan

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Welcome Bill,

Try telling the forum members what type of place you are looking for ie apartment, villa, need a pool, how many bedrooms do you need? Price range you are prepared to look at and do you need it furnished or not?

Someone may come up with some suggestions when they know what you are looking for and roughly from when.

Also have a look at all the Estage agents web sites for the rentals available.

Then rent for at least one year to see how everything goes and then you can decide to continue renting or to buy later.

Also by that time you will have looked around the Island and decided which area would suit you both best for long term living and also experienced a winter and summer to give you the whole picture.

Sounds like you have been an expat for a long time and so that is the first hurdle being used to living abroad and changing to different lifestyles and ways.

chiangbill

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Nanajan.

OK thanks for that. Will sharpen my typing finger and get cracking.

Cheers. Bill

chiangbill

Message Posted:
21/07/2010 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

OK. We don't know NC only from what friends have told us. It would be a bit difficult and quite expensive to come from Chiang Mai to NC to 'have a look around' In fact we wish we had gone to NC rather than Chiang Mai now.

So this is what we would like.

A small 1/2 bedroom house/bungalow, my wife likes the garden so a small or large garden would be nice.

Not bothered if it's away from the beach. On the outskirts of a city or town would be great.

It would have to be furnished, basic is fine. As we will arrive with our only our clothes and a few bits and bobs.

Budget. Around £150/200 PM.

I will look at the estate agents sites, to get some idea of property and rent. And also on the property forums here. We may just come and stay in a hotel or apartment, then look around.

Bill.

chiangbill

Message Posted:
22/07/2010 05:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Hi All. OK still trawling through all the stuff on NC. Great forums. Question. If we buy a car or scooter in NC, from what i have read, do you have to get insurance everytime you go to the south.

Bill.

chiangbill

Message Posted:
22/07/2010 05:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Ok. It looks as if we will come to NC. Have been trawling through these forums and Shelter Off shore, lots of good info on there. So would anyone recomend Kyrenia as a start.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Bill.

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
22/07/2010 08:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Bill, My wife and I have a place in Cyprus and we live in Singapore. your budget will not get you much in a rental.

Check out http://www.squirrelltd.com and http://www.lapidahotel.com

The apartments are in Lapta and so is the hotel, run by Fethi (great guy)

Oh and as an Ang Mo be prepared to get your eyes picked out by everyone.....and I mean everyone, nobody has any scruples, even the expats at Lambousa Saturday market, everything is price loaded....Beware not all you meet are friends !!!!

chiangbill

Message Posted:
22/07/2010 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Hi wearytravellers.

Yes we will do that. And we will watch out for Rip Offs. Though living in India for 3 years has left us with some experience of overpricing. Over there if you are western you had money and lots of it. But if you look them in the eye and turn to walk away. As if by magic the price comes down, and the futher you walk away the cheaper it becomes. We had a Stall holder in Panjim (Goa) follow us for ages down the street, all because i asked how much his DVDs were. I think he was about to give me the DVDs when he found how far away he was from his stall. Very Funny. Thanks for the tips. Maybe we need to up the budget a bit.

jillyjugs

Message Posted:
22/07/2010 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

hello bill , I am also new to all this and to kyrenia.

Jilly

chiangbill

Message Posted:
22/07/2010 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Jilly.

Yeah. It's a bit strange trying to move somewhere you have never been too. But my wife and i are luckly as we both like a adventure now and again. We landed in Goa with just two suit cases, and lived there for 3 years. But we had been quite a few times on holiday. Done the same in Chiang Mai. Dread to think how many miles we have flown & driven over the last few years. Where are you. UK or NC. keep in touch.

Bill.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.