North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cameron cosy with Turkey on Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cameron cosy with Turkey on Cyprus

Cameron cosy with Turkey on Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

tsmlion

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 13:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

He has said that this is the year that the issue should be settled.

The "deadline" aligns with what the TRNC wants rather than the greek open ended preference.

I think we've just seen the 1st quid pro quo concerning support for the Turkish EU ambitions.

BrightonJim

Message Posted:
27/07/2010 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

The critical fact is that the UK and probably the US, now acknowledge that Turkey is vital to their interests, presently strategically and in a few years time, economically. Why else would Haig give such a welcome to his Turkish counterpart on his recent visit to London and Cameron even visit Ankara let alone make such a fulsome speech? A recent article in the FT referred to Turkey becoming the regional leader. It all seems a choreographed goodwill excercise.

The important question is how does that effect TRNC and I suggest it can be nothing less than good news for, the stronger the hand of cards held by Turkey, the less she can be pushed into a Cyprus surrender. I do not think Cameron mentioning Cyprus was a quid pro quo: he could hardly have ignored it for a solution is needed, but not on Greek terms.

As regards EU membership, I suggest that Turkey has no hope of joining and now may not even wish to, even if invited. Sadly, the Germans and French would not allow it to happen.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.