North Cyprus Tourist Board - poor dog tied up in heat
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > poor dog tied up in heat

poor dog tied up in heat

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

taraakadli

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 45 in Discussion

every time i go to see my friend who lives near the hospital in lefkoşa , i drive past this poor dog in a cage. the thing is this cage has no kennal in it and has no shade! we all know how hot it gets during the day, lefkoşa is like an oven! the cage is next to a house wich is empty and un occupied. the dog has owners as he has water and food,but looks so helpless. wish i could do something but.. :(

nurseawful

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 45 in Discussion

Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident you will find dogs in 'tin cages' all over this island.

Chris

spider

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 45 in Discussion

Oh dear..Perhaps if you could put something over the top of the cage next time you are passing this might help the poor love..

Spider,X

robinhood

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 45 in Discussion

open the cage and let the dog out,

DeaconB

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 45 in Discussion

The cruelty to animals of these people North and South is heartbreaking.

There is no excuse for it.

nikicik

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 45 in Discussion

go and steal the dog hun i would xx

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 45 in Discussion

It is about time something was done about animal cruelty in the TRNC...KAR as a charity should do more, be more outspoken etc....if this was happening in the UK, the owner/s would be prosecuted and the great british public would be in uproar but lets face it, the ex pats here just turn a blind eye for the most part, frankly it sickens me!!!!

Oh and please I do not want the usual suspects jumping to the defence of KAR as they are indefensible!!!

taraakadli

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 45 in Discussion

im going to try and find a big flat piece of wood to put on the roof of the cage so it will have some shade, iv been in cyprus for 7 years and its so sad some of the things you see over here.

niki, i cant steal it! it has a lock on the cage :P

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 45 in Discussion

I agree with all this. I also object to the cages monkey and birds that Starling in Catalkoy have out side their supermarket... why do they have them, no earthly reason and unless I am mistaken, monkies are gregarious creatues and need company.

Shall we head up a posse and go around and let loose all these poor dogs, monkies, birds etc... who's up for it?

taraakadli

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 45 in Discussion

i know. its a disgrace. someone said that we should take pictures of the monkey and birds and give it to a newspaper to make a story on, mayby then someone will open there eyes.

icklepix

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 45 in Discussion

Glad somebody has mentioned there is a monkey at Starling, it will remind me not to go there. Unfortunatley due to the ridiculous red tape there is not alot that can be done to help these poor creatures that are locked up over here, i have previously emailed monkey world in dorset about a similiar problem elsewhere and it seems that there isn't a great deal that they can do.

Monkeys are such fantastic creatures and its a shame when you seem them in such small cages, although the same applies to any animal really

Tatum1

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 45 in Discussion

Hi

I agree ..... name and shame them and see just how their trade is affected.

keithr

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 45 in Discussion

Just live with it,we are guests here,this their culture.... if you don't like .....

spider

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 45 in Discussion

If you dont like WhaT....Shoot the owners. Keithr you should sit in a cage for a week Plonker ))

Spider,X

mozgor

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 21:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 45 in Discussion

You should contact Monkey World in Dorset cos there existence is based on liberating captive primates

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 45 in Discussion

mozgor, excellent idea and I will do it tomorrow

sienna

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 45 in Discussion

message 13 are you serious ! so lets ignore all abuse of any kind if we see it going on as we are guests in other peoples country hmmmmm wouldn't it be better to try to educate than turn a blind eye.

what sort of monkey is it small /big what ?? personally I cannot stand this sort of thing and turnign a blind eye will not sort it out

Lilli

Message Posted:
30/07/2010 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 45 in Discussion

nothing will sort it out, i have another little dog. i agree sienna we should turn a blind eye but sadly many cant, myself included from today . she is a beauty as usual. i will get photos when i can coerese keith or hans. sienna i agree we are guests, many can turn a blind eye but many cant, myself included. many have tried to educate. KAR ran an education programme, same old. If the brits and other expats did not become involved where would it leave anyone, take poor ismail, lee has done so much and we all try to help/ As a nation we are carers. I think we know we will not change any system but we try to improve the quality of life. So if anybody wants a timid little dog i have one on offer. should start an ebay here x

taraakadli

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 00:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 45 in Discussion

aparrently in Gönyeli there are monkeys in cages at a petrol station.

when i went to starling market last there where some turkish children trying to feed the monkey hot peppers. its such a pity sight, the poor thing just sits there all day in this heat! and the birds aswell.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 02:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 45 in Discussion

We have just spent just under £500 for an operation (thyroid) on our old moggy (who, by the way, 'adopted us' some years ago). Now, that is quite a lot of money, but he's our cat, has been for many years, and so, we felt we owed it to him and we are extremely fond of the old (grumpy)bugger. However, while I deplore any form of cruelty to animals ( I hate caged anything - birds, monkeys (don't even go there) anything at all that is caged ) - we still have to remember that NC is a completely different culture. I mean, in the UK,Ismail's prosthetic arm would be funded by the NHS albeit with some charity raising, there would be no (non prosection) treatment of animals, etc. etc. and no littering of roads and beaches such that there is here. However, IT HAPPENS. When I visit, I see it (as do we all) on a daily basis and I hate it. But it is a way of life here and I do, fundamently, think that you 'pays your money and you takes your choice'.

sienna

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 45 in Discussion

I too cant turn a blind eye I think you have what I meant the wrong way around; I am with you Lilli ....if I lived there I would end up like you with all the waifs and strays, just had one on our complex such a darling but as you know was impractical for her to be just wandering around the site as she was messing everywhere, I did go around while I was there picking it up!!!

She has now been adopted by someone who is long term renting, I am so please I couldn't bare to have her taken and dumped up the road, thank goodness. She is ex-Kar got a red tag in her ear, so well behaved and such a loving doggie, I could not turn her away without food and water, neither coudl a few others !!

good luck with your new addition.... hope it ends well like this story

sienna

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 11:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 45 in Discussion

Jeannie I am not sure what you mean 'pays your money takes your choice' cruelty happens throughout the world rich, poor or otherwise, it is more to do with ethics and culture and religion, need and education !?

keithcaley

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 45 in Discussion

sienna,

I think that your last word says it all with respect to TRNC, whether it's driving, littering, or treatment of animals - education is the key.

Get 'em young, and teach 'em the 'right way' (well, the 'right way' as WE see it anyway ), and then teach THEIR kids the same, and gradually, attitudes should start to change - but it would most likely take one or two generations, and I think that it still may not have much effect on the ingrained behaviour of the older people.

But before you can even start with that, you need to convince the Government that these things MATTER, let alone convince them that they are IMPORTANT, and should be treated as a priority.

Unfortunately, politicians' priorities usually revolve around 'where their next vote is coming from' - and most of US don't even HAVE a vote!

BoTanica

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 45 in Discussion

Message 8 - Taraakadli

I wouldn't use wood - I would use a double layer of the dark green netting tied with those plastic ties. A pice of wood would soon disapear onto someones barbie!! Good luck x

newscoop

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 45 in Discussion

EDUCATION

Every time the usual subjects come up the tired old mantra of education is brought up.

Regarding litter, fines and enforcement is the only measure people will take notice of.

As for animal cruelty, if a society has to be "educated" that mistreating animals is wrong not to mention evil then there is something inherently wrong with that society.

Not just here but anywhere else where (animal) life is cheap. It also happens in the so-called enlightened countries. Bullfighting, badger baiting, fox hunting, throwing donkeys of castle walls, hare coursing, dog and cock fighting etc.

Where do you draw the line and how do you educate these people?

keithcaley

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 45 in Discussion

newscoop,

An interesting post...

However you gave contradictory arguments in two consecutive paragraphs!

In one paragraph you said that there was something wrong with ANY society that needs 'educating' on this subject - but then went on to say that this sorry state of affairs exists elsewhere, even in 'enlightened countries'

You can't have it both ways!

Having paraphrased your comments, I hope that I haven't twisted the meaning

However, could we perhaps agree that a certain combination of 'stick and carrot' might achieve the results that we would both undoubtedly wish to see?

That is, Public Information campaigns coupled with education in schools, backed up by legislation with vigorous enforcement and swift and sure punishment. Given the state of Nepotism here, I know that's hard to envisage

Even the 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaign did take a long time before it was accepted as the 'norm' - but I still think that the main stumbling block is politicians' sheer indifference...

sienna

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 45 in Discussion

you cannot change the world, I know that and I understand the government has different priorities, but some follow by example and if it saves but a few animals or humans suffering or even dying unneccessarily then that is a small step in the correct direction, at least its a start.

Picking up litter, cleaning the beaches, voluntarily, treating animals humanly, joining in discussions, talks, raising money helping sick animals, however and wherever we can even providing shade for animal, we can all do our bit. BUT turning a blind eye because. ' we pay our money takes our choice' is not the way forward, do you really think because property is cheap we have to condon what goes on !!!

(by the way many a time we have been over and have food left over at the end of our stay, pasta, sauces, etc can there not be drop off points so these goods can be given to those that need them, just a thought, as there must be loads of stuff thrown out and wasted when it could be put to good use

keithcaley

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 45 in Discussion

Hi sienna,

I agree that we should lead by example - anything else would be hypocritical

However, IMO a multi-pronged approach is needed - picking up other people's litter is commendable, as is providing food, water, shade, etc. for tied-up animals, & helping re-home unwanted kittens & puppies - these things should certainly be encouraged, but sadly, will not by themselves lead to much of an improvement.

As far as the 'pays your money' comment goes, I do think that people need to be realistic about the society in which they have chosen to live - you're not going to change it overnight, & not by moaning and complaining on an Internet Forum (I'm not talking about YOU personally, you understand! )

You can help by doing whatever is within your capability and resources, & if you've a mind to, by campaigning for the Government to take a positive stand. But at the end of the day, it is THEIR Country

BTW, Liz at Guido's would welcome unused provisions to help feed the menagerie!

sienna

Message Posted:
31/07/2010 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 45 in Discussion

agree with what you say entirely Keith, sadly I am way way over the otherside to Lilli or she would indeed get all the stuff I leave !

icklepix

Message Posted:
02/08/2010 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 45 in Discussion

mozgor (message 15), Monkey World are unable to assist, been there tried that. Its all the red tape thats involved.

Sundance

Message Posted:
02/08/2010 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 45 in Discussion

It is sad, and no animal should be in a cage unless there is a very good reason, ( like a dangerous animal being moved from one location to another, for the safety of others), I would put the owner in the cage just for 24hrs, and if he did,nt get the message after that, another 24hrs and so on,

I believe eduction is to be the way ahead, but it could take some time, I also worked in the south for many years, it,s just the same there.

Sundance

kanga

Message Posted:
02/08/2010 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 45 in Discussion

hopfully with all you expats living there and the young cypriot turks watching you how you treat your animals it will rub off on them and in the future they will treat their animals better, as a cypriot turk who lives outside of cyprus everytime i come over to visit the family i end up looking after their dog as well and on my next visit they are looking after the dog a little better. One can only try and hope

Gulsev

Message Posted:
07/08/2010 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 45 in Discussion

get used to it thats wat this are like there the ones wat should be in cages just shows there mentality

Posting edited due to inappropriate language.

AJ

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 03:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 45 in Discussion

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nations-streets-are-dangerously-dirty-1993284.html

http://www.rspca.org.uk/media/news/story/-/article/EM_Unsolved_cases_Aug10

Bearing in mind of the fact that 'two wrongs do not make one right',you might find above links not being much different.

99 times out of 100 you'll find this animals in cages to be very healthy.Do you think that is because their owners dont care or actualy love them?

Perhaps,some of us are bored and dont know what to do with their time,like me at the moment.

jackeen

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 04:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 45 in Discussion

We arrived at our holiday destiinationin in the early hours of the morning,much too late to go to sleep. We decided to go for a walk around. The harbour was very hot and we noticed a dog sleeping. We continued to walk to the end of the harbour and then returned to find a person l pulling the dog by the tail

ihatefamous

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 06:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 45 in Discussion

poor dog.. let him out =)

racoonchic

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 08:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 45 in Discussion

another one tied up at marshals in esentepe all day never any water out and most mornins i free it up as its wrapped itself around the posts there

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 45 in Discussion

I tried the polite way on 3 timeand while the result might not be perfect, it has been a huge improvement. I had one dog tied up 24 hours a day next door, and asked them if she could come in my garden during the day and he said yes. It meant my cats stayed indoors, but I took the dog back about 5 pm, and then my cats could come out. She was in the shade where she was tied up, and had food and water, but the owner was out until late at night, and he agreed was a bad solution for the dog. They eventually moved. Another neighbour had his alsation tied up in the sun all day, so I went round and in broken turkish explained the poor dog was in pain and crying, from the heat of the sun with no protection. Next day the dog was moved to a sheltered area in the garden. It is still tied up most of the time(occassionally he lets it go for a run around), but at least he is now in the shade.I told another neighbours son to try being tied up in the sun for a week before he got a dog. hE DIDNT

mozgor

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 45 in Discussion

What about WSPA then, they might be able to help or make a suggestion?

Lilli

Message Posted:
15/08/2010 00:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 45 in Discussion

moz who or what is WSPA please as i can try them also x many thanks

steveafc

Message Posted:
15/08/2010 07:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 45 in Discussion

http://www.wspa.org.uk/

Lilli

Message Posted:
15/08/2010 07:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 45 in Discussion

thank you steveafc x

Groucho

Message Posted:
15/08/2010 08:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 45 in Discussion

Msg 25

"Bullfighting, badger baiting, fox hunting, throwing donkeys of castle walls, hare coursing, dog and cock fighting etc. "

Of these at least 5 have been recently practised in the UK....

Of course humans with any sense of feeling for animals will abhor these activities but fox hunting has only recently been outlawed.

oceana

Message Posted:
15/08/2010 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 45 in Discussion

I feel so sad hearing these stories about animal cruelty. I think we can all do something small for them and I agree with Sienna. Maybe get in contact with the owners, or, to help them as much as we can because they are innocent creatures and only us humans can help them. I personally cannot stand animal cruelty.

mozgor

Message Posted:
15/08/2010 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 45 in Discussion

WSPA - World Socity for the Protection of Animals - they do a lot of work all over the work including domesticated animals through to wild animals etc

Don't know if they will be able to help, but they might be able to suggest something or someone else?

http://www.wspa-international.org/

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.