North Cyprus Tourist Board - HOUSE BROKEN INTO in Catalkoy
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > HOUSE BROKEN INTO in Catalkoy

HOUSE BROKEN INTO in Catalkoy

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

HI Everyone,

Just to advise you, we were broken into on Friday night, opportunists the police called them, but I have another name which I can't repeat on the forum. WE are in Catalkoy. PLEASE BE EXTRA vigilant in this hot weather, you may think your house is safe with windows open and shutters locked , well you may not be. We were lucky in as much not much money taken but PASSPORTS and personal papers gone, so a the hassle begins next week to get these replaced. Can anyone tell me how to get to the English High Commision office, the wife is due to fly back to Uk in 2 weeks, which is now unlikely, so urgency is top of our list.

Thanking you all in adavance.

michelle3012

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Sorry about your brake in, where abouts in Catalkoy was this?

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Just up the road from Ani Restaurant, our neighbour is a police officer and we foolishly thought this made us more safe, but when the 'oppotunists' strike they are not fussy who lives where!!

airy____fairy

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

The British High Commission - go to Lefkoşa from Girne - straight over main roundabout, past hospital on your left , keep straight over 1st traffic lights , until you come to a junction with lights that has 'the beer garden' on your right - think may be called 'coşkuners' now or something like that. Turn right here , sorry cant remember name of road passed 'Big Mac' and the ne Tulip hotel on your left , keep straight until you come to junction, Pizza pronto is on your right straight over this junction and 100m on your right turn right and park on the left - this is the BHC office. Hope this helps.

Leave your telephones in the car as they are not allowed on you in there!!!

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Thank you airy fairy, we will be going tomorrow unless someone says otherwise.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

So sorry to hear that, it happened to us twice and to all our neighbours, so we know how you must be feeling.

They usually won't risk being caught with anything that would incriminate them, so will throw away wallets etc. It may be worth checking around your garden and your neighbours, even rubbish bins to see if they have dumped your personal things.

When it happened to us, they took some jewellery and cash from my handbag, but chucked the bag complete with credit cards in the bushes.

Worth a try. Good Luck.

gardenmaker

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 11:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

plus you can always return to your country of origin without passport but you will have to go to police first ask your neighbour

simbas

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

This happened to my son a couple of years ago , but in Spain . The English High Commission can issue you with emergengy travel documents , but you will have to give a police report number., you can sort out the passport when you get home

Hope this helps , Simbas

scootex

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Sorry to hear of your misfortune seems we have pond life over here as well as the UK

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

We are going to police station tomorrow to sign some more papers and they did say something about a form for the high commision, so hope springs to mind. We have checked all around our area as we have waste land to the rear and front of the villa and we did a bin search (not pleasant) but no joy, the police are confident they will catch them at some point. Thank you to all for your help

Mikey and Mary

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Good luck to you both, really sorry to hear this.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 13:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Make sure that you get a Police Report from them as you may need it at the High Commission office, you will certainly need it if you are claiming on your insurance. You will need to buy stamps for this, they sell them at the Driving School near the police station. I think we paid about 35 or 40 TL, someone else may know how much it is now and if you have them with you when you go in it may save you some time.

It is dreadful that these b@stards can cause so much hassle for only a few quid, I hope that they are caught soon and have a nice stay in jail.

billyboy1

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

My cousin also got broken into last week, not sure whether it was day or night, but her handbag was taken....she lives seaside of Catalkoy....

Hope they catch these scumbags

Chelpet

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 17:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Sorry to hear about breakins, when we return in September we are bringing a small alarm with us, it is a beam type, with an effective distance of 20 metres, which we are going to fit in our hallway, so anyone crossing the hall to get to the stairs, or trying to go from one room to another would set it off, if you know someone coming from UK you can buy this alarm at Maplins for £14.99 and it is very loud it would certainly frighten the crap out anyone creeping about where they shouldnt, the model No is VH87U and only weighs than 500 gramms so easy enough to pack, it runs off AA batteries or you can plug it into 6 volt system.

Peter

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Hope you have more joy than we are having, getting real run around with police.

You must have a form from the police with all the items detailed that you have had stolen, so make sure you identify everything. If you find something later you have to make another statement to get the insurance.

You then go to Girne HQ with 34 tl stamps from the post office, I do nto know why people keep putting money into the driving school pockets. It is the Post office where you buy stamps.

We were told Girne would give us the paper but no the have sent us to Lefkosa. This time we are giving up fighting and taking a TC friend to interpret for us. At the end of the day with stamps and petrol we are going to be out of pocket the way things are going.

Would be interested in any others that have had experience of house break ins.

paulc

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 19:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Sorry to hear of your break in, i have now imported security locks from the uk for patio doors and windows, i have fitted over 200 so far, if interested please phone me on 0533 848 3939

Lilli

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 19:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

hi both im so very sad to hear your news, i hope and i pray and beleive me i do, that you find the peaceto come to terms with with it and folow your dreams. x

marcosthechef

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Mike & Mary

sorry to hear about this, I hope your both ok

Call me for directiond to the High commision, its not that difficult but you have to be there early am

Mark 0533 864 2944

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 20:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Mike

Nothing worse than having your home violated, bet you would like to get hold of them and shove 240 volts where the sun dont shine.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 21:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Message 15, cyprusishome.

We had the same mess about from the police. It took 6 visits to get the Police Report.

When it was EVENTUALLY ready they then told us about the stamps. It didn't cost anymore by buying them from the Driving School and that was the closest place to get them. I agree that if you have a Turkish speaking friend, take them along since the officers at the station don't seem to speak much English????

Chelpet.

We have 3 of the motion sensor alarms fitted as well and I must say that I can sleep better in bed with them set. They would scare the beejazus out of anyone who came in, I have nearly had a coronary when I have come down and forgot about them!!!!!

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks Mark, Thanks Lilli, Thanks all of you for your advice and help. Mary is just starting to realise what has happened and is now slightly in shock. She wants the house alarmed, iron gates on the windows and a great big scary dog!! Our little MOnty was not a good guard dog, slept to well in the air con bedroom to hear a thing!!.

We have only been here starting our new life in Cyprus 3 months so it is a real disapointment for the both of us, but we will not let it get the better of us, perhaps I can wire the windows and doors, a big 240 volt would be suitable punishment for them

will make sure to get the stamps on our way in.

maxwell

Message Posted:
01/08/2010 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

we arrived in may to find apartment trashed with obscene writing all over walls ( in turkish ) and all wifes under clothes soiled. Fires lit on floors in bedroom and everything else scattered about. reported it to police who came round and took prints they thought it was local kids and did not hold much chance of catching them. Over three weeks went to the police station 4 times for report no gave up in the end . Left keys with insurance company to see if they could sort it. Even told the police and edrimit muctar a local had seen them climbing out of the window the muctar said yes he new them and went in for his tea police did not wont to know.Two days cleaning with the help of a neighbour who kindly put us up and about 200£ out of pocket we spent the next three weeks feeling like something you would scrape off your shoe is that what the locals think of us.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
02/08/2010 07:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

msg 21,

Our thoughts are with you. It really leaves a sour taste whenever or where it happens but in a new country after 3 months. we thought we had done everything right, even had friends coming twice a day to feed cats while we were away for a week ( our story is posted earlier). No subtlety with ours, smashed the patio door to get in!!!! I agree with the electric thing, attached to the nether regions of culprits which will be known that is certain.

msg 2

Your comments are interesting. Our house was not trashed just searched and cash and small items gone. Our Cypriot friends and the police all made the same comment - Turkish people will in general break in and take whatever they can get their hands on, it is British people who trash places. Are you an exception or is this a learnt process? Whatever I hope you soon get sorted and then try to move on, our thoughts are with you.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
02/08/2010 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Message 22, maxwell.

That is an even worse violation and the first time I've heard of this in TRNC. It is bad enough to be be burgled, never mind having your property trashed. So sorry to hear about this and I hope that you have both recovered from the dreadful experience.

gazmufc78

Message Posted:
02/08/2010 19:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

If I catch any F_____R IN MY HOUSE HE'S GOING OUT IN A BODY BAG!!!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.