North Cyprus Tourist Board - Electrical goods
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Electrical goods

Electrical goods

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

desert rose

Message Posted:
07/07/2007 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Hi guys,

Are there any electrical shops in trnc, if so are they expensive? We want to get things like printer/laptop but not sure if best to buy here then import, or wait. Is the import tax high for electrical goods, as I want to bring over all my kitchen gadgets too..

Many thanks in advance.

x

Avril

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Hi,

I wondered about this too. I would also be grateful if anyone can advise if its cheaper to buy sofas, garden furniture, beds etc. in the TRNC or to buy them in the UK and ship them over. Are there any import tax implications with furniture?

Thanks

Kitty1

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 13:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

To be honest, we've decided not to bring most of our furniture with us from UK. There are loads of really nice home furnishing stores here (Homefront in Alsancak is lovely, as is Botanica and Casablanca in Catalkoy), and you can get garden stuff all over the place. Many places will do furniture packages where you can buy a whole set of lounge, dining and bedroom stuff at a discounnted rate - and it will all match nicely. I have seen theses packages advertised at around the 1500 quid mark, which would be cheaper than importing I think.

Electrical stuff is tricky - bit inconsistent. The company I work for uses Comaks in Girne for a lot of its office equipment purchases - they seem to be able to supply just about anything when it comes to computers etc. I bought a HP professional photo printer from there a few months ago and it was a quarter of the price I would have paid in Wales. However, TV's, hoovers etc can be quite pricey and you may not get English instructions. Having said that, they all seem to work fine even if you don't recognise the brand.

I don't know what the tax implications are unfortunately for importing electrical goods. I still have some of my kitchen stuff still in storage in UK so as yet I've not experienced that side of it.

desert rose

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks very much kitty, youve been very helpful.

x

Erkankilim

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Try gunbey Home store in Nicosia, They import the goods from UK

http://www.gunbeyhomestore.com

Avril

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Hi,

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

desert rose

Message Posted:
10/07/2007 07:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Cheers

x x

ttoli

Message Posted:
10/07/2007 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

As long as the contents of the container are for personal use, there is no charge, any new electrical goods? remove from original packing, much like officials all over the world, try to pull a fast one on the Customs official and start imposing taxes. When i came over i suppose i had something like 5k in TV and music systems, no charge was levied.

if on the other hand it is obvıous that you have more than for personal use, they start at 40% import tax(based on local prices!!!!).

desert rose

Message Posted:
10/07/2007 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

ttoli,

oooo very usefull to know as ive kept all my original boxes to pack them in when we leave here.

Thanks

x

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
11/07/2007 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

I was informed rightly or wrongly that if you obtain residency you have 6 months to bring in your personal belongings and your car (as long it is less than 5 years old) without having to pay import taxes. However, if you buy a car in TRNC before bringing in your belongings and car you will have to pay import taxes on the CAR. Can anybody confirm that (ttoli ??)

Avril

Message Posted:
11/07/2007 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

As far as I am aware if you bring in your own car you will have to pay 40% tax based on Parkers Guide values. However, I have also been advised you can take your car over and provided you take it out of the country for 1 day (trip to turkey by ferry should do) every 12 months then you do not have to pay the 40% tax. I was advised of this by one of the estate agents so I would def. check this to be fact. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your other questions.

desert rose

Message Posted:
11/07/2007 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

I was wondering about the whole car issue myself. I've read loads of information on forums etc and pages from the TRNC office London - but im still confused! Cars are v cheap here in Dubai, was wondering whether to import and pay tax as at least I would know what I'm getting??

Roughly how much is a small van ford type thingy? not too old or too new.

x

ttoli

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Weary Travellers,At one time provided you were of retirement age you could bring in 1 car (with proof of ownership for 3 years), that loophole is now closed. if the car is of European manufacture they add 40% of the value in the Glasses guide(Motor trade valuation book), Japanese at 60%, for warranty reasons etc i decided to buy here.

Desert Rose, You can only import/register a commercial veh here if you have a registered trading company(The idea being that its an obstacle for illegal workers- Yeah right!!). There is plenty of choice for cars over here and in fact there are actually more cars for sale than the population of the TRNC.

İf the veh is over 30 Years old (Classic car), you pay 3000 USD + 3 % of the cars original sale price, But the classic car club veto which cars they recognise as a classic.

Avril, pretty much depends on what official you have contact with, some friends of mine have had their land rover here for 2 years, BUT come the time of paying the import tax, it will be based on the value of the Veh when it first entered the country, thus leading to negative equity

ttoli

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Should have added that cars have to be 3 yrs or newer, No restiction on commercial vehicles though and earlier this year they banned the import of Left hand drive Vehicles.

Avril

Message Posted:
12/07/2007 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Hi ttoli,

Thanks for info. We've already decided to sell our car in UK and buy a car once we arrive in TRNC. This way we hope to avoid any tax penalty. I find it very strange that considering the amount of people moving to TRNC that there isn't an official website advising on all implications of moving to TRNC (apart from the information provided on estate agents websites). I was in Waterstones today looking for a guide book relating to such matters and there doesn't seem to be one. I have had great difficulty in trying to source information not only on importing goods but also on taxation matters etc. Does anyone know of a book/webpage that provides this information?

Izzet - have you considered providing this type of information on your website? You could consider writing a guide book - it could prove to be quite lucrative for you. In the meantime, do you know where I could source this information?

Many thanks in advance.

desert rose

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

ttoli, thanks for that info - if you have a ltd company is the import tax for that commercial vehicle tax free?

Avril, whoever decides to write a book or do a website will make a killing. We all need to find information that is impartial.

x

helot

Message Posted:
22/07/2007 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Heating and Air con,

Can anyone advise me on purchasing heaters and cold air fans\aircon as I am comming over to NC in August to stay in a Long term rental before I look at purchasing, and the Villa I have rented does not have any of this only an open fire,so I would like to know if I would be better of bringing some free standing gas heaters and fans with me or if they are reasonable to buy over there.I have seen some nice tall triangle shaped cold air fans here in Woolworths which could stand in the corners of bedrooms nicely which cost about £29 each and don't know wether to buy them and bring them over.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.