North Cyprus Tourist Board - thread highjacking and propaganda
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > thread highjacking and propaganda

thread highjacking and propaganda

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

pilgrim

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Izzet,

I imagine you are pleased with the success of your website, it is a very useful and versatile source of information and most of us commend the site. However in recent weeks there has been numerous occasions when the thread subiect has been maniplulated by some individuals so they bias the debate towards their own particular "pet band box". This spoils the content and certainly bores some of us.

I wonder whether you have ever considered policy guidelines combined with perhaps some warning and subsequent action against constant offenders.

I'm sure you and some others would feel such measures would be a retrograde step, bearing in mind freedom of speech, but if the practice continues unabbated it will eventually affect the forums appeal. Therefore if you wish this site to retain its attraction don't completely dispel the idea.

Just food for thought.

p

p

livethedream

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

Totally agree pilgrim. Whilst victorialoss may have a genuine reason for feeling aggrieved, I'm still not convinced of namus' motives. Whatever they are it has generated a lot of debate, but also a lot of bad feelings. It should stop now and let this site get back to what it was - giving local information and guidance for those of us who want to find out for ourselves and take a risk. Nothing gained, nothing ventured.

Good luck to everyone, live and let live (the dream)

PLEASE LET IT STOP NOW

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

The point that needs making here, to balance the arguement, is that there are good experiences also and for many people buying in the TRNC has been a positive experience enabling them to live their dream. On reflection I was getting concerned about my purchase by concentrating only on what was being portrayed on this and other threads. Needed to bring myself back to reaity and remind myself that everything is running smoothly so far and that the builder and solicitor have been amazingly helpful and a joy to know.It would be nice if we could hear of some of the many positive experiences not just with regards to property purchase but living in North Cyprus too.

p.s. back in TRNC in November and thinking of staying at the Hotel Sampati. Anyone recommend this hotel? Are there many restaurants and bars within walking distance?

Izzet

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

pilgrim - Can you give an example of what happened?

I wrote the code for the forums myself and I have tested it thoroughly but there may be possible problems.

malteser

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

I again agree with pilgrim - i have been using these forums for 3 years and have been horrified at the level of vitriol on some of them regarding the political situation, possibilities of unification, disputed title deeds etc. Perhaps it would be an idea to guide people to the discussion of undoubtedly important topics/political debates on other forums, as there is always the chance that this wonderful site could descend into the same sort of thing - I'm just remembering how often namus says he is done before bouncing back with his provocative thread titles and comments - but perhaps we should all just ignore him!

But Izzet, since its inception this forum has been my first choice to browse as the users on the whole seem so supportive of one another, genuine, open, honest and helpful - even you Weary Travellers - in the end! I've had my disagreements with users but they have been resolved amicably. If you could keep it this way Izzet, it would be a unique forum.

Anyway, far more important news - my villa is virtually finished - in Bahcehli Weary Travellers!!! - I fly out to NC on Saturday and I cannot wait - and we're having another thunderstorm as I write??/

Avril

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

Hi Bradus,

My husband and I were over during May and stayed bed and breakfast at the Sempati in Karsiyaka for a few days. The breakfast choice was somewhat limited. If you wanted a full english then that was and extra 17 ytl each. There was a restaurant and bar on site. We didn't try the restaurant and heard it wasn't too good. We did have a few drinks at the bar though and found the staff (and management) very friendly. The accomodation was very basic and the hotel is very remote. There aren't any other restaurants or bars within walking distance. When we return we will opt to stay in another hotel. Hope this helps you decide.

Avril

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

Thanks Avril,

We stayed at the Altinkya earlier this year and the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and its not too far from centre, but thought we might like a change. We will take on board what you have said. Didn,t like the remote bit so will propably search for something more central.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Case proven!

Avril

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 22:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

Bradus - you threadnapper!!!

Have you just landed me in trouble???

;-)

Bradus

Message Posted:
08/07/2007 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

What can I say Avril. Sorry

pilgrim

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Que sera sera

Bradus

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 02:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

How appropriate. "the fututres not ours to see" Que sera sera.

Sue

xxx

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 07:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

Hey Malteser.......Absolutely delighted your Villa finished, I hope you have endless hours of fun, shopping for just the right things you need. Good Luck but really enjoy the Holiday.

namus

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Nothing like free speech.

Contrary views are seen as thread napping, vitriol etc... How narrow minded.

Foolishly I thought potential buyers may be interested in hearing of a few pitfalls but all seem to have done their own research and made their own decision.

I'll be interested to hear your views in 3 - 5 years time when you will not be so blinded to all things Cypriot.

Kitty1

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Hello all,

I have deliberately avoided the political/property debate on this site and I also have been really quite alarmed by the words we have been seeing here recently. THIS IS A GREAT SITE - IZZET, WE APPLAUD YOU FOR CREATING SOMETHING THAT HAS PROVIDED SO MUCH HELP, SUPPORT AND POSITIVE PRESS FOR TRNC AND THOSE WISHING TO BE PART OF IT. The bright aura and cheery discussion is what made this stand out from so many other sites and I agree that we are in serious danger of losing this if we continue to go on and on about the negative stuff.

We all symapthise with those who have been caught out badly, and if we could do something to help these folks, no doubt we would. But many of us have had very good experiences. I have been here for over 12 months now and I know what the pitfalls are, I know the complications, I know the frustrations, I think I am fairly well versed now in "all things Cypriot" - but as I said in my blog "Home Sweet Home", the good far outweighs the bad.

Namus, Victoria - I understand your wish to warn people but people do know the issues, there are plenty of sites out there that tell us this. Potential buyers do understand that they need to do their homework, get a good lawyer and so on. I am sorry things went awry for your family Victoria, but as long as I am prudent, I have no reason not to buy here, not to make my life here, not to love this country. Why then is it so wrong to want to help people see the good in something? There is quite enough bad news in the world as it is - Namus, how then can wanting show people that there are two sides to every coin be narrowminded?

The bottom line here is we know there are problems. Do we pack up, turn our backs, walk away and tell everyone else "don't go there"? I personally think not.

DONTY

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Namus

μαλάκας

namus

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 12:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Donty, I do not understand Greek but can imagine that your comment is something smart arse or rude.

How puerile. I point out property ownership issues (new TRNC title seems a good wheeze by the govt to stop people questioning previous ownership) and other pitfalls (rogue builders..) and am met by abuse.

Good luck - enjoy wheeler dealing and profiting on other people's land and I hope the same does not befall you.

I await your reply of juvenile Greek abuse.

desert rose

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 13:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

We get the point - Please stop rabbiting on for all our sakes......

pilgrim

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

Seems to have hit a tender spot with someone.(not desert rose)

Apologies to the rest of us enjoying our life or holidays in TRNC.

Ps I'm not narrow minded,quite the contrary I'm open minded thats why I'm not worried.

DONTY

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

namus

why have you, the guy alledgedly married to a TC decided to spend your days slagging off TCs and the Turkish side Cyprus?

why do you post false information?

what is your motive? have you been ripped off here and decided to try to smash the north? and i dont believe that you are here to help all of us happy buyers.

i notice you have stopped giving local facts after i have repeatedly found them to be incorrect is that because you are fed up of looking foolish?

i detest people like you (sorry folks but political correctness is part of the reason i left the UK as i dont believe in it) who set themselves up as experts when you know nothing.

are you greek?

the reason i posted in greek is because i believe you are likely to understand it and because i dont want to offend others by using english swear words but if i get to meet you in person i will translate for you.

namus

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

internet threats. So brave Donty

DONTY

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

what threat?

to explain what μαλάκας means... how the hell is that a threat?

you really are stupid arent you.

DONTY

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

p.s answer the questions (i have reposted below to aid your memory)

why have you, the guy alledgedly married to a TC decided to spend your days slagging off TCs and the Turkish side Cyprus?

why do you post false information?

what is your motive? have you been ripped off here and decided to try to smash the north? and i dont believe that you are here to help all of us happy buyers.

i notice you have stopped giving local facts after i have repeatedly found them to be incorrect is that because you are fed up of looking foolish?

are you greek?

DONTY

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

especially this one

B&BLondon

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

I am new to forums, in fact this is the only one i've ever taken part in. Is it too simplistic to say that if we don't reply to messages they don't keep moving to the top of the index?

I think it unfair to ask Izzet to 'police' the messages, better to ignore them, its a bit like bullying isn't it - they thrive on the responses and it spurs them on.

malteser

Message Posted:
09/07/2007 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

Thank you weary travellers - I will continue to shop as always at the small but friendly supermarket in Esentepe village where for two years my son and I have always received warm welcomes, smiles and nods of recognition even though as yet we cannot speak the language.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.