North Cyprus Tourist Board - Visiting North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Visiting North Cyprus

Visiting North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

excommo

Message Posted:
07/08/2010 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

I have an elderly friend I served with in Cyprus during the 1950's who is now a widower and wishes to investigate spending some time this winter in Kyrenia (Gerna now?) ..

He assumes he should travel from and to Turkey from the U.S. He lives in the Washingto D.C. area.

He is U.S. citizen but from Iceland. Has a very heavy accent still. He and I have always considered the Kyrenia area our favorite place on the island. I had good Turkish friends years ago that worked for Cable & Wireless that I use to go with them to see the area when i lived there. I had previously been stationed myself in Istanbul and have only fond memories of that place also.

Can someone please advise me what all he needs to know to come and stay a month or so and any recommedations for a place to stay/eat for a period that long?

Thanks.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
07/08/2010 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

He couldn't go wrong staying at the Pia Bella Hotel, the rooms are comfortable and warm, the food good and he would be made very welcome.

Blackbird

Message Posted:
07/08/2010 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

I agree with massage 2. And would also recommend The Almond Holiday Village at Alsancak a family run place, and our favourite in TRNC. The family and the place are the best!

dublinderm

Message Posted:
07/08/2010 23:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Hi,

The flights look a little complicated and expensive.

Turkish Airlines operate Washington Dulles via Frankfurt (probably Lufthansa) and then via Instanbul Ataturk to Ercan. This is at least an overnight and probably eats up half of the second day as well. Cost from January 2011 is $1400pp.

You may want to visit an agency with a view to stopping off overnight somewhere enroute.

Tom at flightholiday who is a regular on this forum really seems to know his stuff so he may be a good place to start.

DD

excommo

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 08:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Some good tips so far and will check them out.

I am now thinking he may be better off going direct via maybe United to Larnaca and then get transport to Kyrenia. Seems it may not be a problem other then the expense of the distance of the trip.

I say UAL as I use to be a passenger agent and my wife a stewardess supvr. for them.. (Before jets)

Obviously in the last 55 years since I left, Nicosia is not the airport of entry anymore..

I say thanks to you all for the inputs.

If you wish to go to the following website and go to Cyprus and then scroll to the bottom you will find my story about my time in Nicosia;.. A fine fellow ran that forum until he recently died..

RIP David Carter,

a young RA officer on the island during my time...

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/main/index1.html

Allow me to say Cyprus during EOKA/Suez War time was more then interesting..

Cheers,

Excommo

nurseawful

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 08:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

What an excellent link to the website it will take me quite a while to read all accounts of Cyprus but the one I have already read is well written and informative. Thank you for the link.

Chris

kenny

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Thanks for the link, very interesting reading.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.