North Cyprus Tourist Board - buying a sec hand car with poss penalties logged on the car reg
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > buying a sec hand car with poss penalties logged on the car reg

buying a sec hand car with poss penalties logged on the car reg

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

basheer

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

what gareentee apart from the seller that if any fines on the car you buy will be paid by them on the second hand car,

they say they would check with the police to see if any penalties are pending

and if none are then you are safe!

the reason i ask this is because in sept 08 my daughter went thro a speed zone and it was brought to my notice in may 10th 10 on my arrival that I should pay this fine 180 lira before i left the country again

the police say the fines are logged to the car registration! and if you are the third owner you will be responsible as owner of the car all penalties .does this sound like memorandums but for cars in this case?

I hesitate unless i buy a new car from a dealer as new (3 yrs ). I see loads of cheap cars around, but the thought of previous owners recklessness would become your liability so a cheap car unless you know the owner could there be a big risk ,correct me if I am wrong thanks

basheer

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

sorry I missed the point that it takes 2 yrs for a fine to be imposed on the car registration Not the person who previousely owned the car

elko2

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 17:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

The fine is imposed on the car but once you the owner of the car is served with the ticket you have 7 days to report it to the police and if you were not the driver at the time you have to report it. Normally you go to the police station with the person who admits driving it and the driver gets the fine. ı don't know what happens if the "driver" does not admit to it. Presumably the matter should go to court and both the owner and the "driver" should be charged but I am only guessing here because I have not heard of such an incident.

Once you go and collect the ticket, you do not have to "admit" guilt and pay the fine. In that case you should be served with a charge later on and again I have not heard of anybody being charged as a result of non-admission so far.

ismet

jimmykibris

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 18:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

how many tickets it it so far you have collected izmet ??

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 18:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Thats all fine Ismet abi,but

My friend was coming over to visit from Norway last year.Nedeed to pick him up from Larnaca airport.Police wouldnt let me through because of unpaid fine that I knew nothing about.

Just as well I was with my neighbour/friend because I couldnt drive at the time because of my leg.I had to sit there and wait while friend went and picked him up.How they found each other (never seen before) is another story.

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Ismet

I wasn't even in the country when i was supposedly caught speeding.When I questioned it at the police station along with the proof of my passport stamp, the reply I received was "no matter your car you pay" so I paid as I needed to get over the crossing to go and see my son.(was originally stopped at the crossing point and told to go to police station).

It did make me laugh as it was my wife who had been driving at the time.God loves a trier.

basheer

Message Posted:
08/08/2010 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

I shall pay a visit t the police station to ensure no surprise awaits me

back to this subject the second hand cars selling after lapta nr the merritt hotel all about £3000 for run about,some newer then others his word as garreentee is valueless he could be here today and gone tomorrow the fines will come rolling in so unless you know a private sell on cyprus44 I should be careful with some dealers that cheap car can be more expensive in the long run as the fine keep rolling in

is there around this to protect yourself

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.