North Cyprus Tourist Board - Whats eating our wood?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Whats eating our wood?

Whats eating our wood?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

philnles

Message Posted:
10/08/2010 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

We live in Baspinar and have noticed that something is eating our wood. Beams on the ceiling and a wall cabinet have been attacked. We have sprayed with wood preserver but this has not helped. Once the creature has got into the wood, it makes an entry hole about 3\16 of an inch, it then boars in 2 or 3 inches. Any advice would be appreciated

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
10/08/2010 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

I've got exactly the same. I can hear it munching away overhead! I showed someone the holes and he said it was woodworm and I had to paint the beams with stuff. It's on my list of jobs to do!! I did have visions of the house collapsing until I noticed the telegraph pole outside which is riddled with holes and is still standing!! (I think the holes they make are amazing - just like someone's used a drill!) I live in an old house too.

parther

Message Posted:
10/08/2010 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

It might be Termites. Can you hear any noise like eating noises from time to time? If so this could be bad news and the wood in question may be in need of replacing. Whatever it is it could spread so act quickly. The do it yourself store opposite the Karalanoglu Lemar are very helpful and could possibly sell you the right stuff if the wood is not too badly damaged.

If you need anyone to do the job for you, you could ask Huseyin on 0533 8753642. He is very handy and can do very good wood jobs and all other manner of building work.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
10/08/2010 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

There seem to be a lot of different wood-boring insects that can cause this - to be safe, I think that you need to get good professional advice to identify and eradicate the particular pest.

chinaeyes

Message Posted:
10/08/2010 16:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Could be the Red Vine Weevel,maybe try and catch one of the blighters to identify what it is.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.