North Cyprus Tourist Board - TV not working after last nights power cut
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > TV not working after last nights power cut

TV not working after last nights power cut

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

LisaCedyNZach

Message Posted:
11/08/2010 20:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

HELP!!! Tv will not go back on after last nights power cut in Bachelli area. Tried changing the fuse, different plug sockets, dvd and sat box fine, Had the offer of lending a TV, but is there anythinh else I can do to try and fix it.

There are no lights on the tv when switched on manually or with remote

Thanks

Pippie

Message Posted:
11/08/2010 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

It sounds as if when the power came back on, you might have had a surge big enough to bust you telly, especially if the TV is much older than the DVD and sat box, it wouldn't have been built to be able to cope. Would suggest you take it to a TV repairer to make sure before you chuck it.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
11/08/2010 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

msg 1,

Items such as TVs often have internal fuses which are rated quite 'conservatively' - these can tend to fail under 'power surge' conditions, so there is a chance that the damage to the TV will be minimal, and cheap to fix.

I wouldn't recommend that you attempt it yourself, unless you were competent in such matters, and if you have to ask, then I can assume that you're not!

I don't know of any TV repairers in your area, so unless you can get a recommendation from someone local, I would suggest loading it into the car (face down on a blanket, and get the seat belt round it if possible ) and taking it to Tektan in Girne - down the road alongside Socrates Hotel on the main street - not far from the Savoy Hotel.

Of course it may be a 'catastrophic failure' - in which case you will have to consider age versus repair cost...

steveafc

Message Posted:
11/08/2010 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

MEMO..................next time you get a power cut .............turn ALL apliancies off ! until you are sure power supply is ok !!

message 3........hmmm not sure about the ' conservatively ' bit................Tektan?? yeah ok ( not !!)

and whats the difference between a failure and a catastrophic failure??

LisaCedyNZach

Message Posted:
11/08/2010 22:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks for advice, I was out in the pub when it happened, and the thought of going home to the dark outweighed going home and unplugging things.

Catastrophic= 6 year old will drive me nuts,

Will call tektan tomorrow, they fitted sat tv, so know where they are.

Thanks again

Lisa

Teresa

Message Posted:
11/08/2010 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Lisa if you have insurance then it is worth contacting them, we had the same problem as you and ours could not be fixed insurance paid out and we got a new one. worth a thought.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
11/08/2010 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

steveafc,

I agree that if you are using an electrical appliance at the time of a power cut, then it should be turned off - actually, 'totally disconnected from the mains', preferably by taking the plug out of the socket!

When NOT in actual use, appliances should be either turned off at the mains - i.e. the switch on the wall socket, or unplugged

Surge limiteconnectors are the minimum protection that should be afforded to electronic appliances such as TV, DVD, Audio systems, satellite boxes, computers etc. - a UPS (Interruptible Power Supply) is preferable, and will give greater protection.

And yes, TVs do often have internal fuses which are rated quite 'conservatively' - as low as 315mA in some cases - and if you cannot find a 'local recommendation' you're probably as safe with Tektan as with anybody

The difference between a 'failure' and a 'catastrophic failure' is that the first only needs a fuse replacement - the second may result in a burnt-out PCB - NEW TV NEEDED!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
11/08/2010 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Typo!

"Surge limiteconnector" should read "Surge limiter connector"...

steveafc

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

...thats what i said Keith ...........you just use more words than me lol

LisaCedyNZach

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks folks, tv back thanks to ~Tectan & Serhan .

Unplugged it as ive come out and power surge thingymebob is on its way via my dad.

Thanks for the info

Lisa & For ever thankful I can now watch the simpsons Zach

dataman

Message Posted:
15/08/2010 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

I'm afraid it sounds as though the power company lost a neutral and you have had some excessive voltage.

You will probably need to get the line volt transformer replaced in you TV. You should be able to claim off the

power company.

Dataman

berkal

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Dear All,

We have most APC "Surge Protection and Power Conditioning" products in stock.

For details you may see below:

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=219

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=LE1200I&ISOCountryCode=GB

FYI

Regards

BERKAL Technologies

Hamitkoy / Lefkosa

225 7636

flightholiday

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

You could have prevented this problem if you had bought Ismet's inexpensive power breaker that is designed for use in North Cyprus see his elkocyprus web site - http://www.elkocyprus.com/e-voltaj.html

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.