North Cyprus Tourist Board - Can you take dogs to france
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Can you take dogs to france

Can you take dogs to france

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

itsadogslife

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

We want to know if you can take dogs to france and if there is a long quarantine in kennels.

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 09:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

wrong forum lol

Chelpet

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

If you talking about taking dogs from TRNC to France friends of ours did just that last year, they got relevant doggy injections done and moved to France to my knowledge they didnt have a problem, until they wanted to go to UK from France for a break then discovered the paperwork they got with the injections was not reconised by UK authorities, as it was done in TRNC, good old jobsworths in UK, dont you love them.

colly

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

I would also imagine that you would have to go through the same routine as the pet passport so would take something like 6 months or more after the initial visit to the vet. It does not surprise me that the paperwork was not recognised in the UK as TRNC are not part of the passport scheme.

rigsby

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

If its any help,my brother has relocated to France from Australia with his two dogs.I seem to remember he used the Pet Passport scheme and the dogs did no quarantine.I know the dogs came to u/k first and he drove over from France to pick them up.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 12:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

I would suggest getting in touch with KAR as I know of someone else who took their animals from here to France and just did a stop over and then carried on to England without a problem. I would imagine that you would get fresh documents in France though, not try and use your TRNC ones.

aripointer

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

We shipped our dog to France in 2006 with no problems.

The first steps we took was to get a TRNC Pet Passport. Your vet has the books.

Get your dog chipped. If possible get a UK chip.

Yor vet will take you through the proceedures. Rabies Jab, Blood tests, our dogs blood sample went to Brussels.

In all it took approx seven months.

Before you leave the TRNC you must get clearence paperwork from the Head Vet in Lefkosa.

We used Turkish Airlines from Ercan-Istanbul-Paris. I flew on the same flights as the dog.

We used Ankara Travel for the travel arrangements for the dog and myself.

The dog travelled as excess baggage approx 290ytl.

The most interesting factor. I was not asked for any paperwork at Ercan neither on arrival in Paris. The dog crate was put alongside the baggage reclaim. On going through customs again no questions were asked. AP

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Neighbours and friends of ours took their dog to France earlier this year and it took about 1 week to get all the paperwork done.... it can be done.

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Msg 6.

I think your friends want locking up .How irresponsible to knowingly smuggle your animals into the UK and you quite happily advertising the fact that they did so on a open forum.Ever heard of RABIES.You wouldn't like to put their address in the UK on here would you.This is why we have the pet passport scheme to ensure there wont be infectious diseases brought into the UK.

It beggars belief to think what some people will do to save a penny or two.

BB

mikea11

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Message 8, have sent you an e-mail

aripointer

Message Posted:
12/08/2010 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Msg 9

Up to 2004 you could import pets on a TRNC Pet Passport into the UK. It was the Roc who put pressure on the UK goverment to ban pets coming into the UK from the TRNC.

To take a pet out of the TRNC the proceedures are exactly the same as if you were applying for a Pet Passport in the UK. There have been no reported cases of rabies in the TRNC for over 45 years.

I understand the UK including Northern Ireland and Sweden are the only countries who do not accept the TRNC Pet Passport.

As I said in my posting we had no checks on our TRNC Pet Passport when we arrived in France. The proceedures in France are stricter, booster rabies injections are required anually in the UK it is every three years.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. AP

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Barnacle Bill

Re Message 9

If you take a dog through France from the TRNC, the animal still has to have its' rabies jabs and a rabies test 6 months after its' jabs to ensure that it is rabies free. Without these tests, the animal will not be allowed back into the UK. Therefore, if this procedure is followed then there is no risk of rabies.

As an aside, and as someone has already posted, Cyprus is a rabies free island. The only difference between the RoC and TRNC is that the Pet Passport scheme is now only recognised in the RoC since its' accession to the EU. 'Barking Mad' if you will excuse the pun as the 'Green Line'is a porous border which allows wild animals to cross from either side with impunity.

Paul

blade

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Our friends took their dogs to Bulgaria last year.

They did all the paperwork and the blood tests were sent to Scotland.

On entering Bulgaria they had no probs at all, they went straight in.

The issues regarding smuggeling dogs into the UK is, what happens if you dog on arrival suddenly gets ill.? You visit the vet, they diagnose something which we don't have in the UK. They will inform DEFA and you will be caught. There is a large fine, possible imprisonment and the animal will probably be destroyed.

How can people say they love their dogs when they would risk this.?

mrjim

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

their is a interesting thread from someone who has just done this from Turkey and is staying in france for 6 months titled returning to europe with pets

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

AP Having gone through the procedure myself and numerous communications with Defra pointing out Rabies is not prevalent in Cyprus this is Defra stance on the matter (LEGALLY).If you transfer your dog /cat from a Non-European country or country not part of the pet passport scheme your pet must be quarantined for the required period recommended by the EU country.I was told that I was entitled to take my dog into the South and fly her back to the UK however she would have to do 6 months quarantine in the ROC.When I told them i could not take my dog to the South i was informed by them (Defra ) that they The ROC were contravening EU law.Defra was also sympathetic with my point of view in that, it is OK to fly your pet from the ROC to the UK and as long as the animal has a pet passport, there is no quarantine period required.It was unfortunate that politics in this instance caused this problem but Defra don't get involved in Politics.The TRNC is not classed as a EU country for this purpose.

barnaclebill

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Msg 12

If I understand correctly what you are saying is that the animal could not be moved back to the UK until it completed 6 months quarantine .If this is the case it backs up the communications I had with Defra. BB

Lilli

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 01:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

hiya baranacle, i was in constant communication with defra to get my mojo here, they phoned me here to say all paperwork ready as my son was doing jabs etc. i arrived at their office in cardiff at 4pm Friday as i was flying back sat,given all paperwork etc and arrangements made. only when i got back to my sons found the info totally wrong. My baby was to fly south. Panic, i went straight back and made them realise the difference betwen north and south. as it was late Friday civil not so civil need to go home, i made them say to sort it, they couldn't. Ended up with with at 6pm Friday flying the next afternoon to find kennels who would ship him, do the paperwork and sort out defras mess, thank god we did find one and great they were, he was here 10 days after me. i wrote to defra explain the difference betwen north and south Cyprus, i had a nice letter back but not admitting the mistakes they made and the cost to me. now they still have it wrong

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Bill

If you take your dog through France (or any other EU country) from the TRNC then theoretically it should spend 6 months there before being moved onwards to the UK. The difference is that the animal is allowed to stay with you rather than going into quarantine kennels. As for not being able to 'legally' take your animal into the South, I believe that this may be a condition imposed as part of the Green Line agreement rather than an EU law - ridiculous I agree !!

Paul

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.