North Cyprus Tourist Board - Another break in, Ozankoy / Catalkoy area
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Another break in, Ozankoy / Catalkoy area

Another break in, Ozankoy / Catalkoy area

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

artistabroad

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 18:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Hi, last night the holiday villa where family members are staying, off the top road between Ozankoy and Catalkoy, was broken into while the family slept upstairs. A substantial amount of cash and a mobile phone were taken. Please be on your guard if you live in that area and report any suspicious behaviour to the police who have of course been notified.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

looks like that time of the year give em a good clout if you catch them at it

well worth it as the police will as well when they catch em

mrsgee

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 19:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Our neighbours, who have only been in the house a couple of weeks, were also broken into a couple of nights ago - the usual...money, jewellery.....but also hire car taken!!! I think that they are getting very confident now these burglars. We were ourselves robbed last year, probably the same scum.!

Panchocat

Message Posted:
13/08/2010 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Our neighbours in Catalkoy also had an attempted break in the other night and while the police were there taking fingerprints they got a call to say a house down the road had been broken into. Seems to be rife at the moment. Sad! They were wearing gloves so no fingerprints.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 00:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

So sorry to hear that this has started again. We were victims 18 months ago so we do know how it feels. Everyone needs to be careful, especially since they are breaking in when people are asleep. I do wonder what would happen if they are confronted.

Someone was selling motion sensor alarms on this BB, we have a few of these in our villa and it means that we can sleep well at night. They are not expensive and do give peace of mind. believe me any burglar would soon scarper if they went off.

Sincere sympathy to anyone who has had the unfortunate experience and hope that these b'st'rds are caught soon.

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 01:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Just buy two or three good dogs and you will be ok

Lilli

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 01:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

anybody need any dogs as i have wonderful guard dogs to home, im so sorry for all of you. we were burgaled in the uk just before we came here and they leave you violated x

artistabroad

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Our family, the ones who were robbed, are in a holiday villa - their first visit to North Cyprus, so dogs aren't really an option, although I have offered to lend them one or two of ours! I think perhaps for holiday villa owners the motion sensors might be a good idea. It's not nice to think of someone prowling around downstairs, especially when you have two young children.

scruffdog

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Take your money and keys upstairs with you, surely this is what everyone does?

Troodo

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Don't just look for suspicious Turks or TC's, ex-pats have been caught with Aladdin’s caves.

mark&beck

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

How or where did they get in please?

I remember last year a lot were breaking in through the down stair Toilets/untility room windows.

mikeythespark

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Sheila,

we were broken into a couple of weeks ago, same as your family, asleep upstairs. I hope it was only cash and not like us all our identity papers taken, my wife was due to fly back to the Uk yesterday and we applied for an emergency passport only to be refused exit as it did not show her residency stamp!! Eventually customs got through to Nicosia Immigration to confirm she was a resident, but she was so upset by this time and afraid she would have a problem returning that she could not board the plane and I had to take her home.

These bastard theives are getting more cocky by the day, we now sleep with all our money keys etc, in our room and a cricket bat close to hand!!!

LOCK UP AT NIGHT EVERYONE

cronos

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Troodo makes a good point in message 10.

The tendency is just to be suspicious of "locals" or Turks.

However,as with anywhere in the world,I'm sure the TRNC has its share of ex-pats of dubious character who would find it easy to ingratiate themselves into your company during conversation at a bar or restaurant.

If you are not careful , before you know it you've told them where you live,when you are next on a night out, and when you are going back to the UK..........BINGO !

Be vigilant against everyone , not just those that you may subconsciously perceive as a threat !

scootex

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Sorry to hear of your night time break in . I know it's a bit like bolting the stable door but I still have a few of the free standing PIR motion detector alarms at £20 each no wiring invlved just 4 AA batteries loud enough siren to wake the heavyest sleeper and certainly make an intruder think twice about continuing his jaunt around your home.

call phil on 05428551176 for more detail

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Good advice cronos.

I heard a story a couple of years ago about an ex-pat who would make friends with people in bars, find out where they lived and buy them a drink. Then on the pretense of 'nipping out for a packet of fags' would pop round to the house, take what he wanted and come back to the bar as if nothing happened!!!

People also need to be careful about posting on BB's that they are going on holiday so therefore their house will be empty. That is an open invitation.

Suffolk

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

After having an attempted break in four years ago we had wrought iron guards made and fitted over our downstairs windows. These look fine and you can go out and leave windows open slightly (so as not to let any cats get in). We also fitted a small safe, where we keep our cash, passports and other important documents. We have also upgraded the locks on our patio doors, as the standard fittments are a poor quality. We also have a security light at the front of our villa, which puts people off if they can be seen snooping!

Deniz1

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Sounds good but i have a cat so they would be going off all the time

timefore

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

The story, Ballyboffin is true, he used to go to some of the local quiz nights - clock who was there and then go and burgle their homes! He was caught and did 'time' over here (I think), dont know whether he is still on the island, i suspect he was deported when he finished his jail term

biglugs

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

well enter at your will,i have 3 big dogs who will do what they are supposed to do,eat when i ,m not there,best form of defence,been here 4 years never locked my doors ,get a good dog

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
14/08/2010 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

I have just been reading in today's Daily Mail that there are gangs of suspected Russian Mafia on the Riviera, putting gas through people's letterboxes or open windows to send the occupants to sleep. They then have the run of the house to take what they want.

Also Romanians, using children to get in small windows then let the burglars in. Scary stuff.

Deniz1,

The motion sensors can be wall mounted and set to only pick up at head height, so your cat shouldn't set it off.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.